Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Repack Information Released

I've seen a few -D and -LD stations I've never been able to ID thanks to no PSIP data / no on-screen IDs... This just annoys the Hell out of me... If they're too lazy / stupid to ID their stations they shouldn't be on the air !

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Dunno... If I were appointed a Commissioner (hint, hint ) one thing I'd look at was a significant relaxation of the legal ID regulation.

Us DXers are about the only people who use the IDs.

In the rare occasion a field engineer is dispatched to track down a lawbreaking station, they have direction finders & copies of the CDBS database -- they know darned well which station on 1530 is operating on day power at 2am long before they hear an ID. Complaints from the general public are rarely taken seriously - if one is egregious enough, the Commission won't have much trouble figuring out which station is involved.

The other thing I'd do... is summarily dismiss any application that misspells the principal community:0 (City of License)
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Did someone already mention this? How much time before the stations that sold their spectrum have to vacate their channel? The reason I ask - KGHZ 19/33 Springfield, MO (ex KSPR rf 19) is going off the air without actually selling their spectrum. They didn't get a dollar bill and I guess that's because RF 19 won't get turned off ??? I understand that KYTV 44/3 (also Springfield), will eventually be moving to RF 19, so technically, they probably won't turn the signal at RF 19 off. When the time comes to move, I imagine they will just turn RF 44 off, where KYTV currently broadcasts.

So KYTV has already started running crawls about channel changes and that *antenna* viewers might have to re-scan their TV if they think a channel has disappeared. The crawl does not say anything about a particular date, and I would think it would be soon, since they are running a message crawl already.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

^ Isn't that jumping the gun a bit? It'll be at least 16 months or so before Phase 1, no? If KYTV runs that crawl that long, it'll annoy any viewer.*

Along those lines, it'll be interesting for those stations running a similar crawl, that are going to low-V like Pittsburgh's WQED. Oh, they can tell viewers to rescan, but what'll happen when folks with improper antennas scan, and the station isn't stored? Things that make you go hmmmmm.

cd

[* Although not repack related, WTVJ 4 here in 1988, after NBC bought them, ran a "Don't Worry, Be Happy" campaign---basically that NBC shows would still be available on WTVJ after 7 WSVN went to Fox. I remember they dropped the campaign, after they got too many complaints about the ads being run so often!!]

The FCC filings tell the story. The KGHZ license is going off the air--to be replaced by an STA for 15 kW for KYCW-LD on channel 19. That will presumably last until the appropriate phase hits and KYTV moves to 19 instead.

Legally speaking, since KGHZ is turning in its license as part of the Incentive Auction process, it has to run crawls for 30 days before going off the air.

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

^ I mustn't be reading everything right (which isn't unusual for me); but Jim was saying it was *KYTV* running the crawl, and they won't be moving until late 2018. I can understand the -LD doing a crawl now, but not KYTV.

Of course there is a lot I still don't understand....

cd

While KYTV isn't yet *required* to run crawls, there's nothing that says they're *prohibited* from doing so.

It's also conceivable this has nothing to do with the repack. Maybe they're shuffling some subchannels around? I note KYTV and KGHZ run multiple major virtual channels, with both channels 3 and 33 split between the two transmitters.

Finally, this would be a question for Trip but I suppose there's nothing that says a station that's leaving the air entirely can't do so early. (and that if it does, as he says it must run crawls announcing that)
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    Finally, this would be a question for Trip but I suppose there's nothing that says a station that's leaving the air entirely can't do so early. (and that if it does, as he says it must run crawls announcing that)
    That's correct.

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

KYTV has adjusted the crawl now to say "KGHZ will be leaving the air on May 31, 2017. Shortly after that time, the CW will be moved to broadcast 19 and your television will continue to show it as 33.2. Antenna TV will continue on broadcast 15 and your TV will show it as 33.3"

I guess that puzzles me. Doesn't a licensed station have to have call letters assigned to it to operate? If they are calling RF 19 "CW Ozarks", don't they have to have call letters assigned to them? And what would they be? The original KYCW-LD (RF 15) was where the "CW Ozarks" had been. RF 15 is now Antenna TV, but I would think they still hold the KYCW-LD call letters for that channel. Seems really confusing.
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 05-19-2017 at 10:46 PM.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

As Trip said below, KYCW-LD has a STA to move to channel 19. (my guess is they will use the KGHZ transmitter and antenna at reduced power. I can't find the text of the STA so I can't confirm that.)

So the call letters for channel 19 are KYCW-LD and channel 15 will, I suppose, go away. Which doesn't mean that *virtual* channel 15 will go away.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

Thread Information