Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Repack Information Released

It happened early this morning. KYCW-LD moved to RF 19 and is re-mapping to channel 25. KSPR-LD is on RF 15 and it is now mapping to channel 25. There isn't a channel 33 in Springfield anymore. Some of the subs that were with KSPR-DT have been split up between KYCW-LD or KYTV-DT 44/3. It's kind of confusing at this point. Did they adjust the power for KYCW-LD? It appears the signal is slightly less but not by much.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

I forget whether this info made the June VUD..

KYCW on RF19 is using the KGHZ antenna. Same site & elevation as RF25. Power is slightly less, 14.6kw vs. 15kw.

This is a classic example of why virtual channels are important. As long as people rescan, this change -- complex behind the scenes -- should be nearly invisible to the regular viewer. Imagine trying to keep score with only the RF channels!
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Yes, the virtual channel means a lot. Although not related to repacking, I once had decode of RF 9 as "ETV," but Doug's site showed *two* South Carolina ETV's on RF 9. I sent an email to SCETV and mentioned the virtual being 23. Got a nice reply that it was Conway SC. All SC PBS show PSIP as "ETV," not unlike our friends at ION and TBN.

cd
    Last edited by cd637299; 05-31-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    It happened early this morning. KYCW-LD moved to RF 19 and is re-mapping to channel 25. KSPR-LD is on RF 15 and it is now mapping to channel 25. There isn't a channel 33 in Springfield anymore. Some of the subs that were with KSPR-DT have been split up between KYCW-LD or KYTV-DT 44/3. It's kind of confusing at this point. Did they adjust the power for KYCW-LD? It appears the signal is slightly less but not by much.
    Since I posted this, my wife pointed out to me they tweaked things again and KSPR-LD (RF 15) is mapping to 33! I should also mention that my wife was watching the 11am news on 33 and they continue to use the KSPR ABC bug in the lower right corner. So now there are two virtual 33's (again!) in the Springfield market. KSPR-LD is running on RF 15, KYTV is running a sub as KSPR, that remaps to 33-1. For OTA viewers that are in the city and can get both signals, they have to be wondering why there are two channel 33's on the air?????

I should clarify that KYCW-LD on RF 19 is a CW affiliate.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Now a question for the rules committee...

Since full service KSPR is gone from channel 19, and replaced by LD service KYCW, can I count KYCW-LD as a new one on channel 19?

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

I would say yes. It's a different license and at the lower power, more difficult to DX.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

OK thanks Doug...

I've run into this situation before...

At one time WTHR Indianapolis was on ch 46. It has since moved to ch 13. Last Fall I found WALV-CD Indianapolis on ch 46. I hesitated to put it in the log, at first, but after thinking it over I decided there were enough changes (license class, power level, time elapsed, etc) to count it as a new one.

Now all I have to do is fix all the antenna damage from the March 1st storm and go after KYCW-LD.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    Since I posted this, my wife pointed out to me they tweaked things again and KSPR-LD (RF 15) is mapping to 33! I should also mention that my wife was watching the 11am news on 33 and they continue to use the KSPR ABC bug in the lower right corner. So now there are two virtual 33's (again!) in the Springfield market. KSPR-LD is running on RF 15, KYTV is running a sub as KSPR, that remaps to 33-1. For OTA viewers that are in the city and can get both signals, they have to be wondering why there are two channel 33's on the air?????

I should clarify that KYCW-LD on RF 19 is a CW affiliate.
    Jim,

Would you mind sending me TSReader data for KYTV, KYCW-LD, and KSPR-LD?

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

Yep, again I'd count it -- different license.

I'm in the process of adding a field to my log containing FCC Facility IDs. (I've had to delete two FM loggings after learning they were duplicates)

I'm figuring if it's the same Facility ID on the same channel and mode (DTV vs. analog) it's the same station. By that standard, I have the following WTVFs in my log:

- Analog channel 5
    - Transitional DTV channel 56
    - Post-transition DTV channel 5
    - DTV Replacement Translator channel 50
    - Post-transition DTV channel 25
    - (and I'll count the post-repack DTV channel 36)

All of these are the same facility ID. But most are on different channels and the two channel 5s are analog and digital respectively.
    I'm not counting the immediate post-transition DTV channel 5 and the current DTV channel 5 separately as theyr'e the same facility ID and same channel.

I hope that makes more sense than confusion
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

Thread Information