Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Repack Information Released

I would be inclined to agree.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Brian McDonough, operations manager and GM for KYTV & KYCW, told me in an email recently, KYCW-LD rf 19 is actually using a different transmitter for their signal, although the tower remains at the same location as it was for KSPR-TV. Probably the antenna is a different height from what it was for KSPR? This sounds like KYCW-LD would indeed qualify as a NEW entry for the logbook.

Brian said that KYTV will indeed move to RF 19 (from 44) in the channel packing move. They will use the transmitter that KSPR used for broadcasting on RF 19. I suppose they will also use the same antenna that KSPR was using. Currently the *surviving* KSPR is KSPR-LD on RF 15, which replaced KYCW-LD when it moved. I am not certain if it will remain when the channel packing occurs. What is strange right now is with the way they are doing the sub-channels, we can get THREE 3-2 channels (24/7 Weather Nation).
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

OK, thanks, Doug... With local, elephant in the room, WPSD moving to channel 19 I may never have to worry about it. :-(

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    Brian McDonough, operations manager and GM for KYTV & KYCW, told me in an email recently, KYCW-LD rf 19 is actually using a different transmitter for their signal, although the tower remains at the same location as it was for KSPR-TV. Probably the antenna is a different height from what it was for KSPR? This sounds like KYCW-LD would indeed qualify as a NEW entry for the logbook.
    His statement about the transmitter is probably right. The old transmitter ran at 52.8 kW to make 1000 kW ERP. I suspect a transmitter that big either would not be able to run at the less than 1 kW required to make 15 kW ERP, or would be so inefficient at that power level as to waste significant amounts of electricity. A smaller transmitter, which could be used on a new channel later, would make more sense.

Same antenna though. Their FCC filing said as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    Brian said that KYTV will indeed move to RF 19 (from 44) in the channel packing move. They will use the transmitter that KSPR used for broadcasting on RF 19. I suppose they will also use the same antenna that KSPR was using. Currently the *surviving* KSPR is KSPR-LD on RF 15, which replaced KYCW-LD when it moved. I am not certain if it will remain when the channel packing occurs. What is strange right now is with the way they are doing the sub-channels, we can get THREE 3-2 channels (24/7 Weather Nation).
    Given that they've almost certainly bought a new transmitter for the low power signal, it makes sense that they would reuse the existing high-power transmitter for high-power operation. But, again, the FCC filing indicates they're replacing the top-mount channel 44 antenna with a new channel 19 antenna. I fully expect they'll keep the current channel 19 antenna as a backup, however.

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

Thread Information