Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Repack Information Released

I would be inclined to agree.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Brian McDonough, operations manager and GM for KYTV & KYCW, told me in an email recently, KYCW-LD rf 19 is actually using a different transmitter for their signal, although the tower remains at the same location as it was for KSPR-TV. Probably the antenna is a different height from what it was for KSPR? This sounds like KYCW-LD would indeed qualify as a NEW entry for the logbook.

Brian said that KYTV will indeed move to RF 19 (from 44) in the channel packing move. They will use the transmitter that KSPR used for broadcasting on RF 19. I suppose they will also use the same antenna that KSPR was using. Currently the *surviving* KSPR is KSPR-LD on RF 15, which replaced KYCW-LD when it moved. I am not certain if it will remain when the channel packing occurs. What is strange right now is with the way they are doing the sub-channels, we can get THREE 3-2 channels (24/7 Weather Nation).
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

OK, thanks, Doug... With local, elephant in the room, WPSD moving to channel 19 I may never have to worry about it. :-(

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    Brian McDonough, operations manager and GM for KYTV & KYCW, told me in an email recently, KYCW-LD rf 19 is actually using a different transmitter for their signal, although the tower remains at the same location as it was for KSPR-TV. Probably the antenna is a different height from what it was for KSPR? This sounds like KYCW-LD would indeed qualify as a NEW entry for the logbook.
    His statement about the transmitter is probably right. The old transmitter ran at 52.8 kW to make 1000 kW ERP. I suspect a transmitter that big either would not be able to run at the less than 1 kW required to make 15 kW ERP, or would be so inefficient at that power level as to waste significant amounts of electricity. A smaller transmitter, which could be used on a new channel later, would make more sense.

Same antenna though. Their FCC filing said as much.

Brian said that KYTV will indeed move to RF 19 (from 44) in the channel packing move. They will use the transmitter that KSPR used for broadcasting on RF 19. I suppose they will also use the same antenna that KSPR was using. Currently the *surviving* KSPR is KSPR-LD on RF 15, which replaced KYCW-LD when it moved. I am not certain if it will remain when the channel packing occurs. What is strange right now is with the way they are doing the sub-channels, we can get THREE 3-2 channels (24/7 Weather Nation).
    Given that they've almost certainly bought a new transmitter for the low power signal, it makes sense that they would reuse the existing high-power transmitter for high-power operation. But, again, the FCC filing indicates they're replacing the top-mount channel 44 antenna with a new channel 19 antenna. I fully expect they'll keep the current channel 19 antenna as a backup, however.

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

Default DTV LD station curiosity

I have been trying to keep up on the developments of three LD TV stations that are suppose to eventually sign on the air in Springfield, Missouri. All three of the licenses are held by DTV America, Inc., of Sunrise, Florida. None of the three stations have signed on the air yet. I know that DTV America has numerous LD TV stations stretching across the country.

The three stations that I NOW have a curiosity about are:

KFKY-LD 20 Joplin MO > Springfield MO
    KULG-LD 27 Joplin MO > Springfield MO
    KCNH-LD 47 Joplin MO > Springfield MO

KFKY-LD had a second modification CP authorized by the FCC on July 25, 2016 to increase to 15 kw ERP.
    http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....Number=2003416

The FCC and the FAA just recently approved their tower/antenna construction - July 10, 2017
    http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProASRLook...etters=KFKY-LD
    ----------

KULG-LD had a CP authorized on February 23, 2016, with an authorization to go to 15 kw ERP
    http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....Number=2002505

The FCC and the FAA approved the tower/antenna construction on September 7, 2016
    http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProASRLook...etters=KULG-LD
    ----------

KCNH-LD had a second modification CP authorized by the FCC on July 26, 2016 to increase to 15 kw ERP.
    http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....Number=2003417

The FCC and the FAA just recently approved the tower/antenna construction for KCNH-LD also - July 10, 2017
    http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProASRLook...etters=KCNH-LD

I received an email from John Kyle, President of DTV America, this week regarding the build outs for their stations in Springfield. He told me they don't have a timeline for any of the stations being built yet, because the FCC has notified them they will have to wait to see how the auction shakes out. What????

They have approved permits. The curiosity - Can the FCC just do that to any broadcasting company that is holding live permits? How long do they just wait? IF they don't do something in a relatively short period of time, couldn't those CP permits expire? He said it would be at least two months before they hear anything more from the FCC. To me, this just doesn't sound right. Maybe someone that is closer to the FCC understands what is going on here.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

They have approved permits. The curiosity - Can the FCC just do that to any broadcasting company that is holding live permits? How long do they just wait? IF they don't do something in a relatively short period of time, couldn't those CP permits expire? He said it would be at least two months before they hear anything more from the FCC. To me, this just doesn't sound right. Maybe someone that is closer to the FCC understands what is going on here.
    Yes

All three stations are LPTVs. LPTVs are a secondary service. They can be bumped from their channels if they would interfere with a "regular" or Class A TV station.

I haven't done an exhaustive study but I don't see anything obvious in the repack that will bump KULG or KFKY.
    KCNH will clearly be affected, because it's above channel 37. It will need to seek a new channel below 37. Three other LPTVs (K38HE, K39IU, K41HC) exist in the market on channels above 37. KCNH will need to compete with them. If two or more of these LPTVs apply for the same <37 channel, it will go to auction.

Hmmm. By my reading these three permits expired on April 28th. However, the FCC will occasionally "toll" a permit -- extend it beyond its normal expiration -- if the permittee can show there's a good reason they haven't finished construction. I don't see that's happened here but sometimes these non-technical filings don't show up where I expect them.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

I received an email from John Kyle, President of DTV America, this week regarding the build outs for their stations in Springfield. He told me they don't have a timeline for any of the stations being built yet, because the FCC has notified them they will have to wait to see how the auction shakes out. What????
    Low powered stations have a window early next year to request a different RF station if they get bumped. One thing to also remember is if the station is adjacent to another station the towers have to be within like 12 or 13 miles or there will be interference. KTYV is moving to RF19 in the repack so KFKY may have issues if they are not close enough.

Default The Gray Television ax swings in Springfield, Missouri

Its been suggested locally among broadcasters, this could possibly be the very early beginnings of what is going to happen when the Channel Repack Snowball begins to roll. Staff reductions. Beginning in smaller markets and working its way up the ladder. It just happened in Springfield, at KSPR and KYTV.

Copied from Wikipedia.....

"On August 18, 2017, reports surfaced that Gray Television (the current owner of both KSPR and KYTV) had laid off many KSPR employees, including news anchor Jerry Jacob. Reports also suggested that Gray Television would either greatly reduce the KSPR news output or eliminate the KSPR news department altogether. The move was met with opposition from loyal KSPR viewers."

At the beginning of August, KSPR's chief meteorologist packed his bags for a job at a Gray Television station in Illinois. Beginning on Monday of this week, KSPR is simulcasting KY3's prime time newscasts, with the KSPR ABC bug superimposed on their channel.

My wife mused this evening, "what's the point??? I can flip over to KY3 and see the exact same newscast!"

And then there are these links that support the Gray Television ax swinging news story-

http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...day/579491001/

http://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/201...in-springfield
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

I don't know that you can fully lay this against the repack. Gray did the same thing in Fargo and Wausau years ago -- merged two stations and eliminated redundant jobs. It's not good (IMHO) but I don't think you can tie it to the repack.

The repack will eliminate a few jobs at the stations which will leave the air entirely. These are usually tiny outlets that didn't have more than a handful of employees to begin with.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

Thread Information