Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Repack Information Released

I suspect Ed is referring to WTVF's Digital Replacement Translator on RF channel 5.

Ed, because it's licensed as a LPTV (not a Class A or full-power station) it wasn't auction-eligible or protected, and thus doesn't appear in Trip's document.

Off the top of my head I don't see anything new on RF-5 that would bump it, so it may well be unaffected.

Although... as Trip mentions, WTVF's main transmitter is moving from 25 to 36. Which means they'll need to put an additional antenna on their tower during the switchover. It is possible they'll need to remove the channel 5 antenna for mechanical reasons to accommodate the channel 36 unit.

For years Jackson had only one TV station (WBBJ channel 7) and viewers there *did* watch Nashville (and Memphis) stations. Until a few years ago, WSMV and WTVF were on cable there. But cable came along before WUXP and I doubt more than a literal handful of people ever watched Nashville *UHF* stations in Jackson.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Adjacent-channel operation was already permitted if the stations were close enough. In Milwaukee every station except WWRS 52 (and possibly a Class A or two) was already close enough that adjacent-channel operation would be fine.

The IF filters and local oscillator stability in TV sets have improved DRAMATICALLY since the analog UHF rules were adopted in 1952. DTV *transmitters* require an effective (and large and expensive) "mask filter" which nearly eliminates any "spillover" outside the assigned channel. To be honest, most of the interference protections in the analog rules were long obsolete before DTV came along.

I thought I saw phase timing information on Trip's site? (I've been absorbing a LOT of information over the last 18 hours and some of it is spilling out of my ears )
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Quote Originally Posted by NN2E View Post

I see no mention of WTVF 5 Nashville... Does it stay or go?

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    Ed, WTVF on ch 5 is licensed as a translator, and as such was not included in the auction or the repack. It can stay operational on ch 5, since the FCC did not repack anyone else to 5 (or 6) in the Nashville area. While WTVF-5 is licensed for 3kw, it has special "temporary" authority to run 22kw. How long that will continue is anyone's guess, but the 22kw appears to be quasi-permanent. To me, this seems to be cheating. WTVF-5 is very common here on E-skip.
    Chris - Poughkeepsie, NY
    DTV DXer since April 2009
    DTV DX screenshots at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtvdxer/sets
    DTV DX Videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtvdxer

RE checking 52-69, it is true that I could check now; probably not worth the effort.

amfmtvbrla had a bar on 60 a while back....we're not sure if we ever got to the bottom of that.

Until 2021, if there is hot Tropo to Cuba, I could go to Flamingo FL---albeit not as close as the Keys---and check channels 57 to 61, where there is no 4G reception.....the year 2011 is now a distant memory:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3X0PNcnE6_0

cd

Quote Originally Posted by JVL DXer View Post
    When will or do we know the timing of the phases?
    What will the new power / heights and coverage maps be released?
    Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    I thought I saw phase timing information on Trip's site? (I've been absorbing a LOT of information over the last 18 hours and some of it is spilling out of my ears )
    I think Doug took care of the adjacency questions.

The phase dates are already out but I don't have them on RabbitEars. You can see them here about half-way down the page: http://www.commlawcenter.com/2017/04...deadlines.html

The heights, antenna patterns, and locations were unchanged. Power levels were released in the FCC's parameters file. http://data.fcc.gov/download/incenti...Paramters.xlsx

So the maps shouldn't change significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by dtvdxer View Post
    Ed, WTVF on ch 5 is licensed as a translator, and as such was not included in the auction or the repack. It can stay operational on ch 5, since the FCC did not repack anyone else to 5 (or 6) in the Nashville area. While WTVF-5 is licensed for 3kw, it has special "temporary" authority to run 22kw. How long that will continue is anyone's guess, but the 22kw appears to be quasi-permanent. To me, this seems to be cheating. WTVF-5 is very common here on E-skip.
    It does seem to be, a bit, but there's no real mechanism to do what WTVF is doing, and doing it via STA means that if the channel is ever needed for something else, WTVF can be made to vacate. It seems win-win to me; the spectrum is in use and serving the public, but the moment someone else needs it, it's available.

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

OK Guys, thanks for the additional info...

Trip... The DX antennas are off line due to damage from the March 1st storm. The interference I mentioned, in post #4, was on the indoor antenna system, aimed at Paducah, through the second floor windows. Even with the antennas aimed the wrong way for WBUY Holly Springs, MS (140-ish mi) it often wipes out local (21 mi) WKPD Paducah. (both on RF 41)

And, yes, I was talking about WTVF RF 5 in post #7... The bottom line is, channel 5 remains clogged.

cd... I remember seeing some random signal indications above ch 51...

And I did log these...

WQJY-980 channel 56 Atlanta, GA. 310 mi. Echostar
    WQJZ-220 channel 56 Tuscaloosa, AL. 240 mi. Echostar

...before I had to install low-pass filters (everything above 51 cut off) to get rid of the local cell site QRM. I don't count them in the 'official' DTV log because they don't operate under the same rules / regs as 'normal' DTV stations.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

The map I find interesting is the one which shows the stations that sold... https://www.rabbitears.info/repackma...hannel=0&adj=N

Note the areas where all the stations had to sell in order to cram the remaining stations below 37. The major congested areas were the northeast, Cleveland-Pittsburgh, Chicago-Milwaukee, Indy-Cincy-Dayton, and Charlotte and surrounding area. All other areas didn't need to sell anything because there were plenty of open DXable channels available. So that left the less-congested, more rural areas (like where you live Ed) becoming more like the more congested areas.

I had a good beer last night to celebrate that my local blowtorch WDLI sold. I'll be glad when this 900 kW overloader goes away. Here is a photo showing how close they are to my antennas...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	20095

I'm also anxiously waiting for WRLM, WAOH-CD, WUAB, and WKBN to go away.

^ A note....not all of those 0's are going away, but rather, sharing channels or "piggybacking." Trip said that WNBC NY (maybe the biggest one on that list) plans to share with co-owned WNJU, which has the better facility.

All in all, it's just a matter of what actual *RF* channels will be vacant.

Providence getting an RF 2---how many of you out there need RI to add to the logs? I'm just glad that FL has no new full power low-V's; and of course WSBS 3 Key West (who isn't budging) is as far from "full power" as it gets.

Ed: Yes there were 56's in Jacksonville FL & Atlanta, but I believe they are gone now.

cd

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    Providence getting an RF 2---how many of you out there need RI to add to the logs? I'm just glad that FL has no new full power low-V's; and of course WSBS 3 Key West (who isn't budging) is as far from "full power" as it gets.

cd
    Bad news, the transmitter for WSBE Providence is actually in Massachusetts, not Rhode Island.

I'm still wondering where my local LDs and translators will go and further clog up the dial. They're still a threat to DX.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
    Bad news, the transmitter for WSBE Providence is actually in Massachusetts, not Rhode Island.
    <Agent 86> Ahh yes, the old New-Bedford-posing-as-Providence Trick! </86>

I say we make this thread a super-sticky, no? Just in case it gets "buried" somewhere on the Forums.

cd

Thread Information