Thread: Need a Recommendation for a TV good for DXing

Default Need a Recommendation for a TV good for DXing

Have decided to get back into the hobby of TV DX'ing especially now with the forthcoming repack. Previously I used a Zenith converter box. I was interested in moving to just the use of a TV (no greater than 32 in).

Are there any recommendations on models/brands that will suffice for DXing? Allow manual entry of channels? The ability to store a channel in the channel map even if there is no signal present?

Looking for current production models 2016/2017 model years.

TNX in advance
    jje64

LGs used to have manual tuning. Mine does. Have no idea about 2016-2017 models but I would think they still do.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

This is the ONLY 32" 2017 LG model available (LED technology) - 32LH550B
    http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-32LH550B#

The users manual download is located on that page as a PDF.

This model DOES have a DTV tuner and an Analog tuner. You can access the tuners through the settings menu and check signal strength and quality meters. You can ADD or DELETE saved channels through this function. This LG model is probably the BEST out there RIGHT NOW for a TV tuner. It employs the Microtune MT2060 TOC technology (tuner-on-a-chip). This TOC was introduced in late 2014. Its capable of managing more than one type of tuner (digital and analog) and was designed to combat multi-path distortion, a major issue with terrestrial ATSC television.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

The remote on this is similar to mine, but there is no "settings" button on this one that allows you to go into settings, channel options and manual tuning. I see nothing from the .pdfs or the video clips that show me that this one has manual tuning. All they show is how to do a channel scan. I'd think twice. Too bad.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

I know this doesn't answer the OP's question, but as for me, as long as ATSC 3.0 is being readied, I myself plan to just stick to my analog TV & CECB, even though I cannot read full phone numbers or some text on screen! (As much classic TV as I watch, no sense in changing out of 4:3.)

cd

I have the manual downloaded and the remote works just like my 2007 LG for accessing the tuners. In the manual it says you push the OK button (circle with dot on button) and it brings up menus and options, which includes access to the tuning. That works just like my remote. I would actually go to Best Buy or another big box store that sells the LG brand and TEST the remote before putting down 200+ clams.

AND as CD has mentioned, with the impending conversion to ATSC 3.0, it might make more sense to get on flea-bay and shop around for a Zenith/Insignia converter box. A new TV NOW will have to have something different attached to it in a couple years when ATSC 1.0 goes bye-bye.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Thread Information