Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costa Rica FM updated in WTFDA FM database

Default Costa Rica FM updated in WTFDA FM database

The CNR (license/broadcast regulations wing of Costa Rica government) recently updated all of their license documents on their website. What that means to me is I was able to update transmitter powers and LAT/LONG and HAAT for EVERY FM in Costa Rica. The WTFDA FM database is UP-TO-DATE for Costa Rica fm's. These updates are effective today.

Its interesting reading about stations I will probably never hear OTA. I can ONLY DREAM that I would ever get an Es opening to Costa Rica :-(

Just a note about most of the San José radio stations, which pretty much includes every AM/FM and TV transmitter & tower. Almost all of them are on Volcán Irazú. Want to take a look at the San José antenna park? (called a park in Spanish circles).

Follow this link to Google Maps satellite view...
    https://goo.gl/h8MXuc

One interesting note about most of the San José full power FM's. They have national coverage, which means most have multiple low power repeater transmitters scattered throughout the country on the same frequency as the main signal. I do NOT show those low power transmitters in the WTFDA FM db. It would be a moot point to put them in there, as a dxer would never know they were hearing one of them - UNLESS - they heard an echo when hearing the main transmitter signal.

On a side note, I was able to spend some time on Google Maps and was able to locate almost every FM tower in Costa Rica. I just ran into one station that I couldn't locate the tower. I did find their web-stream and used Total Recorder to record a bit of them, in hopes of maybe the announcer saying something about exactly where they are located. Long shot for sure. If anyone speaks Spanish and can tell what the announcer was talking about on a program break, please share. I have uploaded the clip here, about 3 minutes worth of audio.

The station is 88.1 TIRSCC Turrialba, Cartago "Radio Cultural Chirripó".
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mike-CT; 06-29-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: corrections
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

There's a station ID at 2:22 of the recording but I don't hear anything specific about a location. The rest of the recording are ads for assorted businesses.

Cerro Chirripó is the highest point in the country -- and the name of a national park surrounding it. However, the photo of the mountain on Wikipedia doesn't show any sign of radio antennas -- the station may be named after the park but the transmitter is elsewhere.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

I have had a few CR's on FM....more back in the 90s pre the Din of iBiquity.

One that I used to get often was 91.9 R Puntarenas; now WMKL occupies that spot.

88.7 R Lyra should be here on the Forums as mp3, along with Life FM 89.5 (SS despite its name). ADN Radio 90.7 even had RDS.

My favorite back in mid 90s was 91.1 Colorín Colorradio, which still exists only as AM 1310 in Bogotá, Colombia. It's an all-children's format, with not only songs, but stories as well.

cd

"Desde San Isidro del General, Pérez Zeledón, Costa Rica, transmite...Radio Chirripó". That's a town in a canton in the province of San José.

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    My favorite back in mid 90s was 91.1 Colorín Colorradio, which still exists only as AM 1310 in Bogotá, Colombia. It's an all-children's format, with not only songs, but stories as well.
    I think PRISA came up with the format. Some Mexican stations had it for a time.

In 2006, 1310 was apparently bought by some Christian community (it's now Radio 3:16). They remained online for some time, but it remained rather broken.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Quote Originally Posted by Raymie View Post
    "Desde San Isidro del General, Pérez Zeledón, Costa Rica, transmite...Radio Chirripó". That's a town in a canton in the province of San José.

I think PRISA came up with the format. Some Mexican stations had it for a time.

In 2006, 1310 was apparently bought by some Christian community (it's now Radio 3:16). They remained online for some time, but it remained rather broken.
    Oh wow....I am only 11 years late on that one.

c d

Seems to be a suburb south of San Jose proper.

Does that ID necessarily mean the transmitter is in that location? With U.S. stations I would take something like that to refer to the *studio* site -- but maybe that's different in Costa Rican culture?
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    Seems to be a suburb south of San Jose proper.

Does that ID necessarily mean the transmitter is in that location? With U.S. stations I would take something like that to refer to the *studio* site -- but maybe that's different in Costa Rican culture?
    The shape of the province is strange. This is no suburb. It's 75 km southeast of San José itself and 25 southwest of Chirripó.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

This is a most puzzling radio station to figure out, with regard to where their transmitter might be located. I *think* their mothership is 88.1 TIRSCP San Isidro del General "Radio Cultural Pérez Zeledón". I listened to both stations streams after I started this thread and at the time I checked, Radio Cultural Chirripó was NOT running parallel to Radio Cultural Pérez Zeledón. I'm not even certain that Radio Cultural Chirripó is located in San Isidro. Its not that big of a town and both stations are *suppose* to be only 100 watts. It wouldn't make sense to put two 100 watt stations in the same *network* in the same town, although as I say, they don't seem to be running the same programming, so that is a possibility. But then why would they both be on 88.1? Radio Cultural Chirripó was on 88.3 when they were first licensed, but moved to 88.1 a couple years ago.

Also, Google Maps actually places Radio Cultural Pérez Zeledón in San Isidro on the map, but Google Maps can't find Radio Cultural Chirripó.

FMMap (part of FMScan) plots Radio Cultural Chirripó's pattern like this...
    http://fmmap.de/net.php?r=f&m=m&itu=CTR&pxf=TIRCC+Radio+Cultural+C hirrip%F3
    (a side note - the FMMap page says they are on 88.3, they actually moved to 88.1 a couple years ago, as noted above)

And Radio Cultural Pérez Zeledón's signal pattern like this...
    http://fmmap.de/net.php?r=f&m=m&itu=...9rez+Zeled%F3n

I am not certain how they determined the exact tower location for each station and how they know the pattern for a 100 watt signal.

If anyone cares to check the station streams out and compare and make notes, here are the pages. Streams start immediately when page loads.

Radio Cultural Chirripó....
    http://radiocostarica.net/emisora/radio-chirripocom

Radio Cultural de Pérez Zeledón
    http://radiocostarica.net/emisora/ra...-perez-zeledon
    FB page - https://www.facebook.com/RadioCulturalDePerezZeledon/
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Come to think of it, Radio Chirripó doesn't list a frequency anywhere on their site...Perhaps they are an Internet-only station?

And then there's Radio PZ, who do have a frequency. Radio PZ operates on one AM and one FM frequency, one of which is reserved (more on that below): 1580 + 88.1.

There's apparently a reservation of two AM and two FM frequencies for LPFMs, from this helpful 2009 document that gives the lay of the land for Costa Rica broadcasting:

"Estos convenios fueron ratificados por las leyes N°6606 de 1981 y N°7299 de 1983, y es importante mencionarlos porque en ellos el Estado costarricense se compromete a asignar frecuencias de radio para estas pequeñas emisoras. Esta previsión se materializa en el Decreto 31609-G del 29 de enero del 2004, en el que se declara reserva del Estado la frecuencia 88.3 MHz de FM en todo el país, excepto la zona sur, con el fin de que sea utilizada por estaciones de baja potencia ubicadas en las poblaciones más alejadas del país. (CAESI, 2005, pp.132-133) Gracias a estos convenios y el decreto ya citado, el ICER tiene registradas 20 pequeñas emisoras que transmiten en las frecuencias 1580 KHz y 1600 KHz AM, 88.3 MHz y 101.5 MHz." [The ICER is the Instituto Costarricense de Enseñanza Radiofónica - the stations were originally to be used for educational and adult literacy purposes, thus the name.]

Most of the stations that begin "Radio Cultural" seem to be affiliated to this ICER, which has little to no web presence.

———

Also, here's a good Photo Sphere showing the Irazú tower farm on one side:

https://www.google.com/maps/@9.97619...!7i8704!8i4352

It's a bit more of a tower forest!

So we're probably looking for one or two bays on a pole atop a building housing some kind of social service agency. It's now a needle in a haystack instead of a gnat in a haystack
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

Thread Information