Thread: FM Es target in Panamá!

Default FM Es target in Panamá!

Panamá has their first 100 kilowatt FM station!!

Well, almost 100 kilowatts. ASEP in Cd. Panamá just released their 1st quarter 2017 radio documents and posted them on their website. There were 15 license modification permits issued in the first quarter, mostly transmitter power adjustments or antennas being relocated. All of the changes have been updated in the WTFDA FM database. Panamá is trying to avoid the radio chaos of their neighbors to the north by not releasing new station licenses. No new stations in Panamá - it's just not happening now.

AND the BIG NEWS was........on January 16, 2017, ASEP authorized a station that wasn't even 20 kilowatts to increase to almost 100 kilowatts, becoming the first and most powerful FM in all of Panamá. 96.7 HORDC-2 in El Valle, Coclé (east of Cd. Panamá) was granted a license to go to 99.701 kilowatts. HORDC-2 is a relay of 96.5 HORDC Cd. Panamá, known as "TVN Radio".

The 96.7 TVN relay leap-frogged past runners-up 102.9 HOBM Cd. Panamá at 82 kilowatts and 90.1 HOTMA Cd. Panamá with 54 kilowatts.

Now there's a real Es target for our Southern US FM dxers!

Here's their web-link, if you care to check them out...
    http://radio.tvn-2.com/

And just for kicks, I've attached a *bottom of the hour* station break mp3 recording (about 4 minutes) - recorded this afternoon from their web-stream. And if that isn't enough FUN, I've put a *scenario* map together of WHAT IF..... what if some of our recognizable FM dxer buddies were to catch the 96.7 TVN Radio signal via Es this summer? What kind of distance would they be looking at? Take a look at the map and you'll know who we're talking about.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 05-07-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

"C" here....96.7 is an I-Block freq. here; it'll have to do a number on WPOW for me to pull it off.

Juan (Iowacane) in Ft Pierce has logged a 96.7 in Venezuela---he and Ryan G. would be the closest. (96.9 Fort Myers doesn't use I Block---yet.)

cd

I hope catch that one someday, if XHESE can't block it.

This would be nice if it came in strong enough to overcome the problems with parking next to 100kw 96.5 that is 3 miles away. Tough country from here even on 6 meters. Everything is 1475-1650 miles Coordinates for HORDC-2 calculates 1585 miles to my location. Have yet to log Panama
    Randy KW4RZ Fort Walton Beach, Florida panhandle EM60

An E-skip fish in the sea has grown larger

Here is an update to HORDC-2. Once again, HORDC-2 was given the green light in December 2017 to increase their power. They are now officially broadcasting with 178,567 watts ERP. And just for kicks I attached their technical info (jpeg image) from the ASEP website.

Maybe someone in the US will have an even better chance to catch them during a Central American E-skip opening. But I should warn you, they are using a highly directional vertical signal, which probably runs East and West. So it may not be as easy as it sounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Thread Information