Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions Regarding E Skip

Currently DXing In Colbert And Lauderdale Counties In AL, And Alcorn And Tishomingo Counties In MS.

Default Questions Regarding E Skip

If a person gets an E Skip opening in one state is it likely other states are getting an E Skip opening during the same time period? For example, if a person in Alabama discovers an E Skip opening would a person in Ohio likely hear E Skip if they checked at the same time? Also, are there any good tools for predicting E Skip openings particularly on the FM and OTA TV bands? June of last year just by checking most days I was able to log E Skip twice(1 Mexico opening, 1 Colorado/Wyoming opening), this year I am hoping for 3 E Skip openings to beat last years total. Any help answering my questions is appreciated.

Here is a link to the map that I use to check for e-skip... http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php...&DXC=ING2&GL=S

I check that map regularly during e-skip season.

If I can hear e-skip from Alabama, then chances are good that someone in Alabama can also hear my location in Ohio. Or it can go perpendicular... like someone in Virginia hearing Missouri. There just has to be a good e-cloud in between. The numbers on the map indicate the maximum usable frequency (MUF), and it doesn't necessarily take a number in the FM range on the map to hear FM e-skip. A lot of times the higher MUFs aren't reported, but when I notice a cluster of numbers forming on the map, then I know it may be time to check.

Both ends of an Es opening will likely obvserve Es. If someone in Alabama is hearing Minneapolis, a DXer in Minneapolis will likely be hearing Alabama. A DXer in Pittsburgh.. maybe, maybe not.

I don't know of any way of predicting Es openings beyond statistics. Openings are more likely to happen during the "season" -- from late spring (about now) through mid-summer (mid-July). They are more likely in late morning and late afternoon. I don't know of a way of predicting "there will be an Es opening next Tuesday".
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

I have noticed, in 39 years (minus 11 days) of following E-skip, that when one opening occurs, there will be a larger than usual chance that E-skip will be in about thirty hours later (but by no means assured). Furthermore, Es on a given day may be followed by another twenty-eight days later (more true of the winter Es season, but applies to the summer season as well).

Es openings are often "mobile" - the ionization zone moves, ergo, the areas from which you can hear (and, in ham radio, be heard) change during the opening. So often were the same stations seen in midday summer openings I named them "Prairie Specials". These would start with WEDU, KATC or KTBS, continue to KFDX, KOET, KSNW (sometimes missing), KSWK (after it was built), KTVS, and usually ending with KOTA (though sometimes CFSS would come in as a bonus). Note that this path has the ionized region moving from SE to NW, (completely unlike the winds of the jet stream miles below). Winter openings seemed to move from west to east.

As for the mutuality of Es paths, if you can hear City X by Es at your site, a DXer in City X will usually be able to hear your locals, but if someone in Nunavut can receive a signal from Massachusetts, the DXer in MA can't expect to log Nunavut as stations in Nunavut are low power and few and far between.

If an ionization region should be broad and round - like a blob over Louisville, and A DXer in Minneapolis is logging Atlanta, then not only would a DXer in Atlanta be able to hear Minneapolis, but DXers in Pittsburgh and Tulsa should have Es to each other's cities as well (also Montgomery to/from Escanaba and Wichita to/from Richmond).

But, if the ionization were to form along a line, say, along the length of Tennessee, things can be more complicated. The ionization regions along the east/west line would likely progressively bend the signals such that DXers in Kansas City and Washington DC could hear each other's FMs and even work each other on 2 meters, whilst a ham in Grand Rapids would find his 6 meter radio absolutely lit up with hundreds of hams on 6m in a swath running from Dallas to South Carolina- but nothing on the FM broadcast band.
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

I've seen super FM Es openings from Florida and the south that went into New Jersey, while at the same time I had nothing. 100 miles made a big difference. I have had FM Es to the southwest and west while the guys in Boston had absolutely nothing. You can have very sharp cut offs. And then there are openings that it seems that everybody in the country gets in on. Es can be strange, besides sporadic.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Currently DXing In Colbert And Lauderdale Counties In AL, And Alcorn And Tishomingo Counties In MS.

Thanks for your comments so far. I guess it's safe to say that while there are tools that can provide some help(thanks for the link Crazy Monkey), that E's are very unpredictable. Hopefully this year is better than last year for E's.

Yes, it does have sharp cut-offs.

I experienced a DX'er that was eight miles away to the east of me getting moderate signal strength DX signals on the FM band and I heard
    nothing at all via Es.

During the event I checked, doubled, and triple checked my equipment just to make sure there were no unforeseen issues.

Es needs about a dozen interactions before it flips-on, not just a single number of ingredients. The question is, when all these elements mix together, what and where is the ignition source?

Is it in space or is it in Earths atmosphere? or Both?!?

Quote Originally Posted by GACTVDX View Post
    Yes, it does have sharp cut-offs.

I experienced a DX'er that was eight miles away to the east of me getting moderate signal strength DX signals on the FM band and I heard
    nothing at all via Es.

During the event I checked, doubled, and triple checked my equipment just to make sure there were no unforeseen issues.

Es needs about a dozen interactions before it flips-on, not just a single number of ingredients. The question is, when all these elements mix together, what and where is the ignition source?

Is it in space or is it in Earths atmosphere? or Both?!?
    My own hypothesis is that it is from inner space (i.e., within our solar system), and it generates the ionization (ergo the E-skip) when the earth slams into it.

Exactly what it is? That's another question. Perhaps nanometeors (dust), or even gas.

Somewhere on this forum, I mentioned a PBS program on the history of the telescope, where they mentioned aiming a laser at sodium atoms "about 100km above the earth" - a figure that puts it close to the E-layer.
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Last summer I had e-skip into FM from Colorado Springs. I started messaging another DXer across town, about 7 miles away, and he had nothing. Another time, I had KNOP from Nebraska in steady in and out for over an hour while the other DXer had nothing. I questioned if perhaps he lived in a noisier area or if it was just strange e-skip behavior.

On another occasion, I was able to listen to Denver FMs for almost two hours with little fading while driving all across town, a 25 mile spread.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26882280814_73f0110c52_o.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	960.7 KB 
ID:	20309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27457248326_c7137e48c0_o.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	997.9 KB 
ID:	20310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27392607582_938a974eba_o.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	20311

I have definitely seen E Skip move, I had Florida and, Texas / New Mexico one morning and then I had North / South Carolina them Virginia, and even further up the coast. I had around 50 New logs that day! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9457.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	20328
    Janesville,WI - Sony XDR-S10HDiP & Kaito KA1103 & Insignia ND-HD01A portable 😜📻🔎📶

FM Log - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    FM Log Map - https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/84a...2f2e84bcf806f0

Thread Information