Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venezuelan TV Received in Ohio

Default Venezuelan TV Received in Ohio

On Saturday May 20th, I received two new analogs via double hop e-skip.

2 YVVA Caracas, Venezuela @ 2,292 miles (tentative)
    3 YVVE Barquisimeto, Venezuela @ 2,277 miles (tentative)

Here are photos of the DX...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5867.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	20349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TVES 3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	20350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TVES.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	20351

Here is a video of the channel 3 capture... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqRJnhzyrTw
    Last edited by Crazy Monkey; 05-22-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

Sticky time now, is it?

Not meaning to burst a bubble, but Maracaibo has a TVes 2. When I see it, I have to go with the shorter distance. Nevertheless, awesome 2Es.

cd

Christopher, according to dxinfocentre.com, there are a lot of possibilities for channel 2... Maracaibo, Caracas, Ciudad Guayana, San Fernando, El Tigre, Acarigua, Boncono, Margarita, Tucupita, and Valencia. Many of these are lower in power. Maracaibo is only 7.9 kW according to this website.

And channel 3 has three possibilities... Barquisimeto, Barcelona, and Ciudad Bolivar.

http://dxinfocentre.com/tv-sam.htm

Is there any way I can narrow down the possibilities?

This was the map at the time I captured these...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	20391

Andrew, as for me, it would only be a headache to try to determine a location. 7.9 kW during Es generally wouldn't be difficult; but at that distance I may rethink that.

I had a true Caracas only once from the FL Keys, when ch 5 Venezolana de TV showed up; no relays to my knowledge in "normal" E range.

Here is a Maracaibo DX video---see synopsis first, and try to freeze the video at the correct moment:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzsh_y0m3-U

cd

Over the years I've seen many of what appeared to be Central / South American stations.

However...

Due to Cuba's extensive use of "borrowed" programming (I just couldn't be sure they weren't transmitted from Cuba) I've never put any of them in the logbook.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

I do think that Cuba borrows some TVes stuff, but the fact that the TVes logo is shown mid-screen would have me think it was part of a promo, as opposed to regular programming with the bug in UR.

As I recall, what I saw from Cuba using TVes was on Multivisi˛n, which is almost all UHF. And, nothing I know from Cuba relays anything live from other countries, except Telesur news & maybe the Olympics.

Andrew, can you tell me exactly what time Saturday you saw this, and what was featured?

cd

It was Saturday May 20th between 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm eastern time. The program was a singing talent show similar to American Idol.

It was the "Sabado de Corazon" variety program, with the talent section a part of the "Corazon Llanero" campaign. The two are linked and are a part of TVES. (I've been on their websites.) Sabado de Corazon is scheduled on TVES when Andrew saw them.

Thanks Rich, I would say that nails it then. You saved me the headache.

BTW TVes streams live video at www.tves.gob.ve in case you wanna check at exactly the same time this Saturday. Unfortunately their site is down as I type this; I tried an alternate site & nearly got a virus.

cd

Re: Channel 3

At one point, I was receiving Televen news on channel 3z. There is only one that I know of in Venezuela - Coro. On the SDR it's trace is the distinct "siren" transmitter that people often report. So that one is 100%. Since Televen was flipping back & forth with the other channel 3z TVes, I'm fairly certain my Tves station was nearby Barquisimeto. Both stations are in close proximity to each other. Both stations are relogs.

Re: Channel 2

Yes, this one is tougher. My Tves was a 2z. We have 132 kW Caracas vs. 8 kW Maracaibo as the two most likely. I first logged Caracas via F2 skip in 2001 when nearby DXers were getting Trinidad. In this event, it could have been the lower power Maracaibo - but the lines on the Es maps leaned slightly more towards Caracas, but I acknowledge that the Coro/Barquisimeto logs are part way between Caracas & Maracaibo. It should also be noted that ch 2 was much weaker than the ch 3's.

For Andrew, who has never had a Tves 2z before, he obviously has a new station logged. When there are multiple choices, it would be unfair for him to not put any station officially logged just because of the uncertainty. In these cases, it makes sense to put the most likely log down. Considering Caracas's higher power and the fact that paths to the Eastern Caribbean islands were dominating that day, I don't think it would be unreasonably to choose Caracas over 80-mile closer, but much lower power, Maracaibo. If some stations to the west of Maracaibo were in, such as 2/4 Santa Marta, Colombia, then that would lead more credence to Maracaibo. There apparently is also Valencia, but that station's existence nor its power have been confirmed. We need to see some official information from Venezuela or ITU.

Andrew has to put something down - it's his choice.

Re: Cuba

Cuba publishes their complete schedules on the web, so it's easy to check what they have on. I find the schedule is usually accurate. Normally the only Venezuelan network seen on Cuban TV (Rebelde/Cubavision/TE) is the satellite news channel "Telesur". It's not impossible that Cuba could be simulcasting Venezuela, but unlikely. The stations we saw included commercials & network promos which I'd think Cuba would sub with their own. Venezuela & Colombia DX is not uncommon. They make a few trips each year. If you are used to looking at the SDR carrier traces as I am, it becomes easier to recognize when you are seeing South America, Cuba, or the Central American single-frequency networks and have some degree of confidence in what you are viewing. Channel 3 Coro is unique enough to eliminate any doubt as to what country we were viewing.

Thread Information