Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPC TV 4 Panamá June 1, 2017

Default RPC TV 4 Panamá June 1, 2017

Here may have been my best reception yet of RPC Canal 4, Cd. de Panamá. I am still awaiting a new power inserter set for my TV antenna---so this was via an FM6!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rd3zNpo_e9A

cd

Interesting... that's a very clear video. I suppose that's a possible catch for me too. I'm about 2,200 miles from it, and the power (according to dxinfocentre.com) is good enough for possible double hop.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
    Interesting... that's a very clear video. I suppose that's a possible catch for me too. I'm about 2,200 miles from it, and the power (according to dxinfocentre.com) is good enough for possible double hop.
    Andrew, although I've caught RPC 4* before, it was never so well (and even consistent) as June 1. Using FM6 & indoor amp, no less!

As to the powers, I would say, beware of some info. TVN Canal 2 has had info of power ranging from 500 to 850-or-so kW. I sincerely question that; whenever Panamá arrives here, it's TVN on 3 (from Colón) and RPC 4. Ch 2 is almost without fail either a horrible mishmash of nothing at all. The only 2 I got yesterday was a poor TA Dom Rep (two clouds?). I do believe I caught ch 2 Panamá as TVMax once (sister to TVN).

I'm awaiting a part for my preamp on the TV antenna, which has yet to arrive.

[*Also received was RPC Radio, news/talk, on 90.9 with RDS. My semi local WLFE may be having issues.]

cd

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    Andrew, although I've caught RPC 4* before, it was never so well (and even consistent) as June 1. Using FM6 & indoor amp, no less!

As to the powers, I would say, beware of some info. TVN Canal 2 has had info of power ranging from 500 to 850-or-so kW. I sincerely question that; whenever Panamá arrives here, it's TVN on 3 (from Colón) and RPC 4. Ch 2 is almost without fail either a horrible mishmash of nothing at all. The only 2 I got yesterday was a poor TA Dom Rep (two clouds?). I do believe I caught ch 2 Panamá as TVMax once (sister to TVN).

I'm awaiting a part for my preamp on the TV antenna, which has yet to arrive.

[*Also received was RPC Radio, news/talk, on 90.9 with RDS. My semi local WLFE may be having issues.]

cd
    Ok, thanks Christopher. This helps me know what to look for. Whenever southern e-skip fires up here, double-hop can appear more often than people realize. There's nothing in the way, except the pesky Cubans. I'll be on the lookout. My double-hop scorecard includes Guatemala, Nicaragua, Mexico, and Venezuela since beginning DX in 2015.

Congrats on your TVDX reception of RPC analog TV channel 4, HOH-21, Panama City, Republic of Panama.

For an optimum signal, aim your FM-6 @ 178 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by GACTVDX View Post
    Congrats on your TVDX reception of RPC analog TV channel 4, HOH-21, Panama City, Republic of Panama.

For an optimum signal, aim your FM-6 @ 178 degrees.
    It was around 180. Panamá is due south of my QTH (leaping over Cuba of course).

cd

CD, I told you the other day what ASEP (Panamá license authority) says the ERP for TVN 2 Cd. de Panamá is....843.080 kw, yet you doubt it....hmmm.

Here is the direct link to the TVN 2 license documentation that is posted on the ASEP website...

http://www.asep.gob.pa/index.php?opt...per&Itemid=252

Second line, last item - Potencia efectiva (vatios). I hope you don't think they are lying. That would mean ALL of their license documents could be wrong. BTW, the ASEP works very closely with the FCC with licensing, documentation, and enforcement. I think its possible that the reason you have trouble getting their signal is there are three (x3) stations assigned to channel 2 and you are probably getting all three at the same time when skip is coming from Panamá. Stations in Veraguas, Panamá, and Chiríqui....

Veraguas, 8.740 kw (TVN)
    Cd. de Panamá, 843.080 kw (TVN)
    Chiríqui, 11.938 kw (TVN)

Panamá isn't that big of a footprint (slightly smaller than Florida in square miles), so just as we're accustomed to getting stations from two or three states at the same time on FM Es, couldn't it be entirely possible you are getting two or three stations on channel two at the same time and it makes it a mish-mash, as you call it?

And I suppose you know there are three separate channel 4 transmitters for RPC. I wonder how a person knows which one they are receiving?

Volcán Baru, 30.480 kw (RPC)
    Veraguas, 32.517 kw (RPC)
    Las Cumbres (Cd. de Panamá), 211 watts (RPC repeater)

If you want to check the documents for other TV stations in Panamá, you can go here and type in the channel number and then *Buscar* (search). When you see the station you are interested in, click on the link under Sitio de Transmisión and it will take you to that page....

http://www.asep.gob.pa/index.php?opt...per&Itemid=252
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 06-02-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Jim, I know we were kinda joking about the TVN 2 on the Log the other day.

I would think a 843 kW lowband signal would either dominate during a Panamá opening here---or, nearby 2's in Costa Rica & Colombia would have issues. Is the transmitter maybe in a valley? HAAT might be the bugaboo.

If Panamá comes back, I'll try to dwell on 2 a bit more. I have a Broksonic 9" TV that mutes audio until a good enough signal is there. To pull any audio out, I need another source. Good news: my sister-in-law found my spare Teknika TVC-22 at our Public Storage---so, I can record audio better now. Maybe I'll be able to squeeze out some TVN-2 audio. All I'd have to do is switch between 2 and 3 for parallel.

As well as RPC 4 came out, I would think that 2 would at least generate something. (But then again I had nothing on TV above 4 except FM.) Seriously though...2 was almost absent during this. TA was the only visible signal, and IT stunk.

I'll look at your links.

cd

I'm having trouble making the math in that document work. It says:

Potencia Maxima (of the transmitting equipment): 18000, presumably 18,000 watts. This figure is consistent with the listed Larcan TTS30ML transmitter which is rated at 30kw.
    Ganancia (of the transmitting antenna): 14.49dBd, which is a ratio of 28.12.
    If I work those numbers I get an ERP of 506kw. Google doesn't return any hits for that antenna. (Thompson 456-553) It says "panel of two dipoles" for which a gain of 14.49dBd seems rather high. The gain of the WSMV analog transmitting antenna was pretty close to 6dB. Actually, the ERP would be somewhat lower as I didn't count transmission line (and multiplexer) losses. The ASEP document does show a line loss.

What this suggests to me is the TVN 2 antenna is significantly directional. The FCC establishes limits to how directional a directional transmitting antenna can be -- but of course these limits don't apply outside the U.S. and many other countries are far more liberal about directional antennas. That, and while tracking down some FM information in Panama we definitely saw stations with antennas far more directional than would be permitted in the U.S..

So...
    - I would believe a very high ERP figure for this station.
    - I would believe 843kW except that that the figures on that ASEP form aren't consistent.
    - If it is that powerful it's only that powerful in one direction. Cerro Azul is located northeast of Panama City, so if this station is intended to serve the capital it's going to be directional *away* from the U.S..
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post
    I'm having trouble making the math in that document work. It says:

Potencia Maxima (of the transmitting equipment): 18000, presumably 18,000 watts. This figure is consistent with the listed Larcan TTS30ML transmitter which is rated at 30kw.
    Ganancia (of the transmitting antenna): 14.49dBd, which is a ratio of 28.12.
    If I work those numbers I get an ERP of 506kw. Google doesn't return any hits for that antenna. (Thompson 456-553) It says "panel of two dipoles" for which a gain of 14.49dBd seems rather high. The gain of the WSMV analog transmitting antenna was pretty close to 6dB. Actually, the ERP would be somewhat lower as I didn't count transmission line (and multiplexer) losses. The ASEP document does show a line loss.

What this suggests to me is the TVN 2 antenna is significantly directional. The FCC establishes limits to how directional a directional transmitting antenna can be -- but of course these limits don't apply outside the U.S. and many other countries are far more liberal about directional antennas. That, and while tracking down some FM information in Panama we definitely saw stations with antennas far more directional than would be permitted in the U.S..

So...
    - I would believe a very high ERP figure for this station.
    - I would believe 843kW except that that the figures on that ASEP form aren't consistent.
    - If it is that powerful it's only that powerful in one direction. Cerro Azul is located northeast of Panama City, so if this station is intended to serve the capital it's going to be directional *away* from the U.S..
    Know what? That's another possibility. I just said in an email to Jim that it's also possible that they are *authorized* 843 kW, but possibly not using all of it.

If the 843 were directional, I'd say *southwest* is the only way to go with it! Let's get a TV DXpedition to the Galapagos "muy rápido."

cd

Thread Information