Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First DTV catches by E-Skip

Cool First DTV catches by E-Skip

My long-awaited first e-skip catches hit the logbook today.

Around 10:25 this morning I got quick PSIP on WACP-4. KJWP-2 followed soon after. The latter decoded picture for a few seconds, but my laptop battery chose that time to die. I need a better replacement for my VCR.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02KJWY.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	20451 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04WACP.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	20452

WACP and KJWP bring my DTV count to 99!
    :: Ryan Grabow
    :: egrabow.com/dx
    :: facebook.com/egrabow440
    :: youtube.com/user/egrabow440
    View My Logbook
    99 Digital TV ::
    455 FM Stations ::

Nice catches Ryan. Hopefully there will be more DTV e-skip to come. What antenna did you use to capture these?

Now you're talkin'.

cd

Ryan:

Fantastic Es catches from Philadelphia, PA. I reside 45 miles north, per crow flight from the Roxborough's antenna farm.

Do you monitor the Dxworld/TvFm Skip Log reporting for indications of Es activity?

Mike Schaffer
    GACTVDX

Andrew, I use some re-purposed rabbit ears, about 12 feet off the living room floor. Next time I see subdecodes I'll see if they do any better outside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EsAntenna.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	20462

Mike, I check dxmaps.com regularly during season.
    :: Ryan Grabow
    :: egrabow.com/dx
    :: facebook.com/egrabow440
    :: youtube.com/user/egrabow440
    View My Logbook
    99 Digital TV ::
    455 FM Stations ::

Nice catches Ryan. I just put up a VHF DTV dipole and haven't had luck yet with Es. Not even subdecodes! KNOP, KHME, KHSV, KDLO are all possible here.
    FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

Quote Originally Posted by egrabow View Post
    Andrew, I use some re-purposed rabbit ears, about 12 feet off the living room floor. Next time I see subdecodes I'll see if they do any better outside.
    Es with a dipole indoors? Receiving Es with a dipole has to be amazingly hard to do. It's hard enough with an outdoor VHF antenna! I don't know anyone else who has done it. I'd put those pictures on the VUD cover next month.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Yeah, I agree... low-VHF e-skip with an indoor dipole?? That must've been some strong e-skip. But hey, at least it beats your FM-6 antenna that you were using. That antenna was not designed to capture low-VHF.

According to Danny Oglethorpe's website (tvdxexpo), Saul Chernos was first to receive DTV by Es using rabbit ears in 2009.

As most TV DXers know, a distant VHF signal via Sporadic-E may be amazingly strong. I received dozens of analog TV stations inside a brick house using rabbit ears in the the late seventies and early eighties before installing my first outdoor TV antenna in 1981. I also did well with a homemade dipole (made of twinlead, like the antennas that came with FM tuners, only longer) on camping trips. One memorable event was at a picnic at Monroe's Heck Park, where I took a 5" battery portable with me. With the built-in 3' whip, at hip height, I had a good picture from WTVY, with very little interference from WDIV, only 39.4 miles distant.

The challenge for indoor TV DX now is the much greater amount of RF noise in the typical home. Even the TV set or converter box itself can wipe out lowband reception. Using a CECB with a metal box (like the Zenith) helps, and it's a good idea to get the antenna as far away from the box/TV as one can. Unplug any wall warts you aren't using when chasing DX.
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Robert, I was saying on the BB that ATSC 1.0 on low-VHF is a joke. It's no wonder stations have avoided it like a plague. You get a few sparklies on a crystal clear analog picture, and the DT signal would be trashed and useless. The sources of interference are endless, and they may not even be emanating from your own home but rather from a neighbor. I discovered that when I plug in my coffee maker, it adds a lot of noise to low-VHF. Whenever e-skip begins, I tell my wife to use the TV upstairs that I know has less interference, and don't use the dimmable lights either.

Thread Information