Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: CITO

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Akron Ohio
    Posts
    637

    Default CITO

    Here is a new log...

    3 CITO Timmins, ON @ 518 miles

    I presume this is Timmins. There is a rare possibility it's Elliot Lake, but that is weaker.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6597.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	20463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6598.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	20464
    Andrew

    My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Timmins is also favoured over Elliott Lake because it's farther away from Akron (about 510 vs. 370 miles).

    TV DX by sporadic-E is "happiest" at about 1,000 miles. Getting a signal from closer distances requires more intense Es.

    This is where a radio that can tune in 10kHz steps would have been handy (61.26 would be Timmins, 61.25 Elliott Lake).

    I do have to ask if the CTV newscast specifically mentioned Ontario. Two channel 3s out east are also CTV and are at ideal Es distance. In my experience, CTV on 3 has usually been Fredericton NB.

    There's also CFQC-1 in Saskatchewan on the far side of the curve (1370 miles from Akron), but it's quite powerful.
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

    Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Akron Ohio
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Robert, I know this was CTV Northern Ontario because I have the names of two reporters I saw on the newscast. You can see one of them in the photo above... Lydia Chubak. A little Google research shows that she works for CTV Northern Ontario. I also noted on another video clip I captured of a reporter by the name of Claude Sharma.

    This signal peaked aiming north. Unfortunately I don't have a radio that will precisely identify the offset. Maybe I'll get one in the future, but these Canadian analogs have their days numbered.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
    Robert, I know this was CTV Northern Ontario because I have the names of two reporters I saw on the newscast. You can see one of them in the photo above... Lydia Chubak. A little Google research shows that she works for CTV Northern Ontario. I also noted on another video clip I captured of a reporter by the name of Claude Sharma.

    This signal peaked aiming north. Unfortunately I don't have a radio that will precisely identify the offset. Maybe I'll get one in the future, but these Canadian analogs have their days numbered.
    A great catch! My guess is that there is about a 92% probability it was Timmins leaving 8% probability it was Elliott Lake.

    I had an unID on 4 with English language news yesterday myself. May have been Hearst, but, like you, I had no way of determining offset. My radio was missing (found it later in the car
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

    Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Akron Ohio
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Robert, could your channel 4 have been CKYB in Brandon, MB? That's the only channel 4 I had yesterday. Here is a video I uploaded of it... https://youtu.be/rXAWxOsZuYQ
    Andrew

    My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
    Robert, could your channel 4 have been CKYB in Brandon, MB? That's the only channel 4 I had yesterday. Here is a video I uploaded of it... https://youtu.be/rXAWxOsZuYQ

    It's certainly could have been CKYB instead of Hearst.

    What time was your CKYB?

    My logging on 4 was at 2319Z (7:19 P.M.) June 7th.

    I've had CKYB several times since WDIV analog left the air.
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

    Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Akron Ohio
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
    What time was your CKYB?
    I had CKYB basically all evening. It was strongest during the Dr. Phil show, but it hung on and made a resurgence even past 11 pm local time. Manitoba is 1 hour behind my time, and I remember watching their 6 pm news, which would've been my 7 pm hour (the same time you saw your channel 4).

    Photo of newscast... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender_2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	20498
    Andrew

    My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Akron Ohio
    Posts
    637

    Default

    CITO was logged again this evening. This time it was much stronger. Here are screenshots including one with a local Timmins ad.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CITO 7.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	20724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CITO 4.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	20725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CITO 5.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	20726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CITO 6.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	20727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CITO 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	20728
    Andrew

    My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •