Thread: Kansas from Illinois this morning

Default Kansas from Illinois this morning

I did a channel scan this morning on my Tivo OTA and noticed it picked up a new channel. It said KDCU from Derby, KS which is 522 miles from my location in Champaign, IL. I thought it was a fluke since there was no picture at first. I let it sit a few minutes and noticed it break through with a pixelated picture. However, you could clearly see the KDCU HD wording on the screen! I grabbed my cell phone and snapped a shot of it for proof!

This may be easy for most of you with outdoor antennas, but consider this nugget. I live in an apartment on the 1st floor with an indoor antenna. It's a Terk HDTVa directional antenna which is pointed out the west window.

Is this too far away to be tropo? Or is this possibly Es? Either way I'm totally thrilled as I've never received anything past St. Louis before. (150 miles) I just ordered an HDHomerun Connect and can't wait to get that setup to monitor all the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4311.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	20598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4310.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	20599  
    Stan - K9SWX
    Champaign, IL
    https://www.k9swx.com

It`s certainly tropo on UHF, and not too far at all, but a very good catch under your circumstances. 73, Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, much closer to KDCU

In this unusual case, the fact you are using an indoor antenna may have helped you! The North, East and South walls may have blocked much closer RF channel 31 stations from St. Louis, Chicago, South Bend, and Fort Wayne from getting to your antenna.

Great catch!

(anyone else here think it's odd that South Bend and Ft. Wayne both have full-service channel 31s?)
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Stan, congratulations on receiving KDCU 31, Derby, KS @ 522 miles with an indoor antenna! Not many DTV DXers can perform that act. Plus, and this is the part that I find amazing, you have a local translator on channel 31 that relays WAND, Decatur, IL. I know W31BX-D is low power, but still, to get a UHF DTV over 500 miles with a local on the same channel is pretty neat.

Meanwhile around the same time this morning, some 35-40 miles NNE of your location, I was controlling the remote setup near Milford, IL which was also receiving a few DTVs from the Wichita, KS market. One of them was KDCU, but that site uses a big 7 ft. parabolic antenna @ 38 ft. AGL (center of the parabolic). From that location KDCU is 565 miles.

I hope your future autologging setup through Rabbitears is very successful. Too bad you can't use an outdoor antenna but totally understand the situation living in an apartment. When signals are strong enough, they will penetrate through walls. Glad you did that scan!

Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KDCU 31 screenshot  June 22 2017.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	368.2 KB 
ID:	20602

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
    (anyone else here think it's odd that South Bend and Ft. Wayne both have full-service channel 31s?)
    Robert, I'm not aware of any full-service/full-power channel 31 in South Bend. Fort Wayne does have WANE on RF 31 and Chicago has WFLD on RF 31.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by indysteve View Post
    Plus, and this is the part that I find amazing, you have a local translator on channel 31 that relays WAND, Decatur, IL. I know W31BX-D is low power, but still, to get a UHF DTV over 500 miles with a local on the same channel is pretty neat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KDCU 31 screenshot  June 22 2017.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	368.2 KB 
ID:	20602
    Okay, hold everything on my comment above relating to W31BX-D. I misspoke about your location. My mind was thinking you were in Danville, IL but rather you are located in Champaign, IL. So the low power DTV on ch. 31 would not be an issue. I was thinking of another WTFDA member in Danville. Sorry for my confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteve View Post
    Robert, I'm not aware of any full-service/full-power channel 31 in South Bend. Fort Wayne does have WANE on RF 31 and Chicago has WFLD on RF 31.

Steve
    Rabbitears.info shows WNIT South Bend and WANE Fort Wayne both on RF 31.

One moment while I check the FCC site to see if it agrees....

A-ha! WNIT applied for a CP for channel change 35 to 31 on June 5 and it was granted June 8.
    Likely part of the repack, so ignore WNIT on that map.
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

The arrows on RabbitEars are showing that WNIT is being repacked from 35 to 31 -- and WANE from 31 to 32. (so they won't both be on 31 at the same time)
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

I had Kansas here in Wisconsin too, on 92.9 I had KMXN @438mi I also had 95.5 KAAN and KXCV 90.5 Maryville / Bethany, MO all were in pretty well. I had KVSR Kirksville over my local WHAD, my first Tr log over WHAD. I got 17 New logs today and 8 yesterday.
    Janesville,WI - Sony XDR-S10HDiP & Kaito KA1103 & Insignia ND-HD01A portable 😜📻🔎📶

FM Log - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    FM Log Map - https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/84a...2f2e84bcf806f0

Thread Information