Thread: My first TV DX catch

Default My first TV DX catch

Did a channel scan and received 3 stations from Chicago IL which are on 60-1-60-3

Cool!

WXFT, Aurora, IL (city of license - actually transmits from the Hancock tower in the Chicago Loop - about 148 miles from East Moline)/

Technically, you received one station (which actually transmits on channel 50, and sends the PSIP signal that labels it as channel 60 - the channel on which WXFT used to operate when TV was analog).

60.1, 60.2 and 60.3 are three programming streams sent from the RF channel 50 transmitter.

This transmitter will be going off the air, its channel sold in the spectrum auction, though one or more of the program streams may appear over another Chicago transmitter shared with another station. With DTV, one transmitter, say, on RF Channel 22, can have streams labeled as 7.1 and 60.1at the same time.
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
    Cool!

WXFT, Aurora, IL (city of license - actually transmits from the Hancock tower in the Chicago Loop - about 148 miles from East Moline)/

Technically, you received one station (which actually transmits on channel 50, and sends the PSIP signal that labels it as channel 60 - the channel on which WXFT used to operate when TV was analog).

60.1, 60.2 and 60.3 are three programming streams sent from the RF channel 50 transmitter.

This transmitter will be going off the air, its channel sold in the spectrum auction, though one or more of the program streams may appear over another Chicago transmitter shared with another station. With DTV, one transmitter, say, on RF Channel 22, can have streams labeled as 7.1 and 60.1at the same time.
    I was seeing a post from yesterday in that someone was getting Kansas TV channels in Illinois and decided to do a scan and see what it pulled in and this is what I got. Will be interesting to see if I can get WGN, Chicago or WHO, Des Moines or even some stations from other states pulled in with Rabbit ears.

I was taught over 26 years ago by a WTFDA member, that to do the hobby first class, an outdoor antenna is the way to go. You'll hear things you would never catch using rabbit ears. Of course, if you live in a place that prohibits outdoor setups, that is too bad---but an indoor *amplified* antenna would help.

There were two FM stations that I could have heard all the time on outdoor antenna in the mid to late 1980s (formats long gone now), where all I could do then was use the built-in whip and "hope" they would come in. [One of the two actually upgraded to 100,000 watts and moved frequency---but the music now, ick.]

WTFDA can give you more pointers. As for me, I haven't regretted using outdoor antennas; but your safety is the most important thing.

I myself am looking out to get the best reception *without* outdoor antenna, in case of bad weather/thunderstorms. I found a Terk unit in our Public Storage that I have yet to use---and it looks like I lost *that* again!!

cd

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemonfan1000 View Post
    I was seeing a post from yesterday in that someone was getting Kansas TV channels in Illinois and decided to do a scan and see what it pulled in and this is what I got. Will be interesting to see if I can get WGN, Chicago or WHO, Des Moines or even some stations from other states pulled in with Rabbit ears.
    That was me! A couple years ago I took the same Terk HDTVa antenna I have out of the west window and put it in the north window and picked up Chicago stations like WGN and they're about 130 miles north of me. That's with another apartment building in the way. Maybe I should get another one of those antennas and keep it pointed north to see what I get? I'm fascinated by this stuff, especially with indoor antennas. That Kansas station yesterday just blew me away. Keep scanning and let us know what else you pick up!
    Stan - K9SWX
    Champaign, IL
    https://www.k9swx.com

Quote Originally Posted by k9swx View Post
    That was me! A couple years ago I took the same Terk HDTVa antenna I have out of the west window and put it in the north window and picked up Chicago stations like WGN and they're about 130 miles north of me. That's with another apartment building in the way. Maybe I should get another one of those antennas and keep it pointed north to see what I get? I'm fascinated by this stuff, especially with indoor antennas. That Kansas station yesterday just blew me away. Keep scanning and let us know what else you pick up!
    I will! I'll do a channel scan tomorrow since the weekend is probably bad for tropo due to all the people traveling. Is there any tips on improving reception with a Wal-Mart brand On antenna? I have the two poles at max height and my antenna cable doesn't look like it can be replaced.

Thread Information