Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KVZK American Samoa: So, what's the deal??

Default KVZK American Samoa: So, what's the deal??

A few of us on another chat site were discussing KVZK American Samoa, namely KVZK-2.

The Wikipedia on KVZK-2 says that the station is still using NTSC. .....I thought for sure I read somewhere that American Samoa went DTV---maybe pretty much the same time as the 50 states.

The real problems, getting any facts straight about KVZK, are (1) the seeming unwillingness of KVZK to join the Internet Age/21st Century, hence lack of what should be easily-attainable info; and (2) the fact that it does *not* come under FCC jurisdiction, hence no results when trying to do an FCC or Rabbitears.info search. I doubt that even PBS or the CPB could tell us, and KVZK-2's an affiliate!

I say, *if* KVZK-2 is still running NTSC (and of course assuming that it is still on RF ch 2), why then, *no* recent reports of DX reception, from anywhere in the South Pacific recently, when reports used to come constantly? The YouTube reception videos are from way way back.

So...once and for all, what is the broadcast status of KVZK-2? ATSC? NTSC? Off the air?? And are analog TV sets still selling in stores there? (I'd think the answer there is a flat "no.")

Anyway, again, any help would be appreciated. Amazing the paltry info out here on it in cyberspace!!

cd

I have sent an email to the KVZK Director this morning, inquiring about technical parameters for the station. I wait for a reply. When its 2pm Central time zone, its only 8am there, so it might be late before I get a reply. But I can tell you one thing - it appears KVZK has stepped into the 21st century. Why do I say that? I'll just list the reasons....

Website - https://www.americansamoa.gov/office...formation-kvzk
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pg/KVZKTV/a...=page_internal
    Email - tauapai@aol.com
    Twitter - @KVZKTV
    Streaming channel - https://livestream.com/accounts/8956070/events/4561731
    ***Live stream was running, right before I posted this information.

Other contact information-
    Address
    KVZK Building - Utulei
    Pago Pago, AS 96799
    Phone: 684-633-4191
    Fax: 684-633-4369
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 06-29-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added information.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Oh wow. I think I tried to access the stream yesterday and it was down; figured par for the course.

I did see some of those links. Wasn't sure what to do there.

I just emailed someone at Samoanews.com who mentioned KVZK in January.

I still stand by some of what I said, especially trying to get technical info. It shouldn't be like pulling teeth. and I don't do social media at this time.

cd

I would suspect KVZK-2 went ATSC digital, up shifting to a VHF-hi or UHF channel using couple hundred watts ERP or the
    station went off-the-air using NTSC.

I say this due to cd637299's fourth paragraph.

Happy DXing
    Mike Schaffer
    GACTVDX

I copy the complete WRTH 2017 entry for SAMOA (AMERICAN) (USA)

``Systems: ATSC [A]; lp stns only: section-symbol NTSC-M [A]

KVZK-TV (Gov) PO Box 3511, Pago Pago AS 96799, USA
    Phone: 1-684 6334191
    Fax[?] 1 684 6331044
    E-mail: kvzk-tv@samoatelco.com
    L.P: Dir Fagafaga Daniel Langkilde
    Tx: Pago Pago ch5, M: KVZK-TV, KGMB {Hawaii}. CBS. PBS, BBC World
    NB: Full power license (lp licenses not listed)``

Didn`t same calls used to apply to a bunch of additional VHF channels?

Anyhow, this says it is on digital channel 5

73, Glenn Hauser, OK

Thanks---I haven't had a WRTH in a decade.

KVZK are the calls of (supposedly) three stations (2, 4, 5)---not sure if 4 and/or 5 are still on.

Wasn't aware of the email info--I guess I was searching the wrong places.

cd

PS....now that Mr Hauser brought up the info---based on the other KVZK affiliations being all over the board, it would be interesting to view local TV listings of Pago Pago TV Stations. (And BTW why do folk pronounce the city Pango Pango?)
    Last edited by cd637299; 06-29-2017 at 09:40 PM.

According to Wikiwand, KVZK operates on 2, 4, & 5.

Wikiwand....
    http://www.wikiwand.com/en/KVZK-2

And according to the linked document, 2 is still analog; other sources point to 4 & 5 being digital.

Attached screen capture from their web stream at 11 am Pago Pago time (5 pm Central). The web stream page says its KVZK-2, but note the logo bug LR with the network logos below that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KVZK-TV screen cap.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	20631  
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Then too, CD's third paragraph stating the unincorporated islands joining the Internet Age/21st Century could be the answer.
    They might have decided the most economical trend would be to shift from conventional digital TV broadcasting to streaming
    via internet using copper, fiber optic cables. The total land area is 77 sq. miles with a 2016 estimated population of 54,194.

Has there ever been correspondence from KVZK on our li'l discussion?

If not, that's a shame---but somehow I'm not surprised. I have the feeling that if I made a phone call to them, I may hear "why do you want to know? You don't live here...." JMO; I'd love to be wrong. Even though I have smartphone, there might be a hefty charge to call, so therefore I won't call.

Re the above post, the other KVZK('s) cherry pick programs from CBS and ABC, so I would think that OTA is still an option there.

But again...why the secrecy?

cd

I can reply to CD's query about a reply on my part - I sent an email to the operations manager of KVZK about their status...two weeks already? I haven't had a single reply. American Samoa is NOT a gigantic country where emails can get lost or fall in the cracks. So I begin to wonder, why the secrecy or *no reply*? Maybe they don't really know how to use email. What am I to assume?

If anyone offers an email address on a website as part of their contact procedure and someone uses it for such, shouldn't you expect a reply? The same would occur with a telephone number - if someone would call the listed number and someone at the receiving end is available to answer, wouldn't they answer?
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Thread Information