Thread: 87.9 SS//La Pantera 87.7 TX---¿donde?

Default 87.9 SS//La Pantera 87.7 TX---¿donde?

Subject line says it all. Anyone know where the 87.9//La Pantera (Fort Worth TX) is located? Also wonder how much power is being used on 87.9.

I doubt that the 87.7 folks know. This cannot be legal. There must be someone here in TX who can pinpoint.

cd

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    Subject line says it all. Anyone know where the 87.9//La Pantera (Fort Worth TX) is located? Also wonder how much power is being used on 87.9.

I doubt that the 87.7 folks know. This cannot be legal. There must be someone here in TX who can pinpoint.

cd
    Something truly bizarre is going on here — they might be running a 87.9 with a TV channel 6.

Their sister in San Antonio, also probably a pirate (as there's no 6 in the area), has a phone number (210) 510-0877 and a website. You might want to try them and ask about their Fort Worth sister station.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

I think I had both at the same time a week ago or so. Slightly different locations suspected. The 87.9 was much stronger; but I've no idea exactly why, just my observation... and the only one IDed conclusively was 87.9.
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

There are channel 6 LPTV licenses in Arlington, Texas (tower 780m from the Wikipedia coordinates for Fort Worth) and in Dallas. The stations list different licensees but since the call letters are KBFW and KZFW I suspect they know each other

The Dallas transmitter is in the Cedar Hill tower farm 490m HAAT. It's highly directional favoring the northeast. (across the city)
    The Fort Worth (Arlington) transmitter is in downtown Fort Worth at 166m HAAT. It has a shallow null towards Dallas but is not particularly directional.

Both stations are authorized for 3kw *visual* power. For full-power analog stations, audio power was limited to no more than 22% of visual -- 660 watts in this case. But as I mentioned in the other thread, many regulations that applied to full-power analog stations arguably don't apply to analog LPTVs. I think a case could be made that audio power of 100% of visual could be legal -- 3kw for both transmitters. In the same way, I'm not sure it's not legal for these stations to operate their aural transmitters on 87.9 and 87.7MHz. (if they were full-power stations they would need to be on 87.74, 87.75, or 87.76)
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

Hey guys, this is KBFW you're speaking of. They are strong and on seek throughout the entire DFW area and beyond. They've got power and seem strongest around Arlington and Fort Worth, as I noted during my rather quick bandscan on Friday and just listening while in town for work. I had to go to both Fort Worth and Dallas that morning and afternoon and never lost that signal, not even a little. Their Facebook shows that they are clearly not hiding anything - their studio is professional, microphones have their logo on them, ads are professional (though we've seen the same from pirates, naturally), and they're packing at least a few kilowatts of power. In addition to that, a search for them pulls up the TuneIn site that is titled "LA PANTERA 87.9 FM FORT WORTH, TEXAS 87.7, KBFW-LP 87.7".

So yes, it appears that Dallas (Aliento, Spanish contemporary Christian) is broadcasting on 87.7 and Arlington (La Pantera, Regional Mexican) on 87.9. And given the call letters, as mentioned, they're likely run by the same company and the decision to broadcast on 87.7 and 87.9 is no accident. Usually stations that are on 87.75 are harder to pull in on seek on the radio because of that in-between frequency, but 87.9 has no such issue with this. However, La Pantera does. It wasn't on seek in the Dallas suburbs, despite its perfect signal, so I assume it is legally on 87.75.

My two cents anyway. Next time I'm in town, maybe I'll try to make some time for further investigation. Since I'm in rural Iowa at the moment, that won't be so possible right now. But if you all have any questions about frequencies or whatever that are east of I-29, I'll probably end up in the market in question sooner or later, so feel free to request that I check a station out while passing through. I listen to hundreds of stations a day, literally.
    [ Radio and weather geeks, beware. Lake inversion DX, coastal tropo, Korean and coastal Chinese FM, RDS database, and bandscans at http://www.beaglebass.com/dx • Tuner: Samsung Yepp Q2 MP3 player & Grundig G8 • Location: Seoul, Korea (530 mi. ne of Shanghai) • Home DX sites: City Beach, Grand Haven, Mich.; Kruse & Père Marquette Beach, Muskegon, Mich.; Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Mears, Mich.; Stearns Park Beach, Ludington, Mich.; Songtan, Korea • Contact me at Chris.Kadlec@gmx.de ]

Thread Information