Thread: New catches on the HDHR tuner

Default New catches on the HDHR tuner

I received my refurbished HDHR4-2US (Homerun Connect) on Tuesday (6/27). I immediately got in contact with the RabbitEars folks to get it hooked up to the live bandscan page. I'm running the script on a Raspberry Pi 2 that I also use for my ADS-B airplane receiver/feeder. It doesn't seem to use very much resources at all which is awesome.

The first few days the atmosphere didn't cooperate with me and made me think the tuner wasn't pulling its weight. However, the past 2 days I've seen some new stations show up on the list.

6/30/17 - WEIU - Charleston, IL (37.37 miles) (I put this one on here because despite the close distance, I rarely ever receive it. Looking at the graph it appears I have a lot of noise/interference on this frequency. RF 50)
    6/30/17 - WFLD - Chicago, IL (126.55 miles)
    6/30/17 - WSEC - Jacksonville, IL (99.54 miles)
    7/1/17 - W40CV-D (15kw repeater for WAND out of Decatur, IL)- Jacksonville, IL (99.54 miles)
    7/1/17 - WMBD - Peoria, IL (74.95 miles)
    7/1/17 - WEEK - Peoria, IL (75.22 miles)
    7/1/17 - WHOI - Peoria, IL (77.8 miles)
    7/1/17 - WTJR - Quincy, IL (160.85 miles)
    7/1/17 - KDNL - St. Louis, MO (151.75 miles)
    7/1/17 - KPLR - St. Louis, MO (151.94 miles)
    7/1/17 - KSDK - St. Louis, MO (152.47 miles)
    7/1/17 - KTVI - St. Louis, MO (155.63 miles)
    7/1/17 - WSIL - Harrisburg, IL (175.22 miles)

Pretty impressed with the new tuner so far. Of course by the time I got up this morning, the distant stations had faded so I was unable to grab any screen shots. I wish the RabbitEars script could automatically do that when a new station is detected, but then I suppose that would take the fun out of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-07-01_07-33-11.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	289.1 KB 
ID:	20635  
    Stan - K9SWX
    Champaign, IL
    https://www.k9swx.com

Good deal, Stan. Are you still using an indoor antenna? If so, that's not bad with those distances.

Meanwhile, from Milford, IL, the antennas are currently "stuck" in the direction of St. Louis, SW, as the TeamViewer connection to operate the setup is still out of commission for some reason. St. Louis DTVs at 200-218 miles have been in and out over the past 12 hours or so. Also, the connection between Milford and RabbitEars is in/out too. The last connection this morning was around 7:28 EDT. The setup needs some TLC.

Last evening at 6:45 p.m. EDT while the setup was connected to RabbitEars, it did snag KCWX 5/2, Fredericksburg, TX @ 953 miles via Es.

Yeah still using the indoor antenna. Congrats on the TX station! Hope you can get the internet issues figured out soon.
    Stan - K9SWX
    Champaign, IL

Stan, here's the mobile web-page for your tuner, if you weren't aware of it....
    https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?...1045243A&tno=0

BTW, aren't we suppose to WATCH our TV dx??? I have an HDHR also - https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?...T&unit=&auto=Y

While I enjoy having the automation to assist in TV dxing, sometimes I fear the loss of having fun watching the tuner do its thing and show me the DX. I guess I'm old school. Its fun to get a channel to fully decode and take a picture of it.

Congratulations on the new dx catches!
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    Stan, here's the mobile web-page for your tuner, if you weren't aware of it....
    https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?...1045243A&tno=0
    The RabbitEars folks (Trip I think is the name) sent me that when I setup my tuner. I always have it open in a tab on my computer and my phone.

Wow one of those is 1200 miles, nice! Guessing that's an outdoor antenna?

BTW, aren't we suppose to WATCH our TV dx??? While I enjoy having the automation to assist in TV dxing, sometimes I fear the loss of having fun watching the tuner do its thing and show me the DX. I guess I'm old school. Its fun to get a channel to fully decode and take a picture of it.
    I hear what you're saying. Until I got the HDHR, I would get up every morning before work and do a channel scan on the TiVo and see what I found. That process takes a long time compared to the HDHR. That day I got Derby, KS was quite the thrill when the picture came in just enough to see the call letters. I tried scanning this morning and got the WSIL station in southern IL, but no picture. Then my TiVo decided that the virtual channel 3 was better suited for my local 3 (WCIA) and took it off my channel list! Argh! Usually it will leave them on the channel list, but not this one for some reason.

It's just nice knowing I'm logging distant stations at 3am when 99.9% of the time there is no chance of me being up at that hour. I'd still like to be able to see screen shots of the signal/picture like I manually do on the TiVo, but having graphs from the HDHR via RabbitEars is pretty useful too.
    Stan - K9SWX
    Champaign, IL

Quote Originally Posted by k9swx View Post
    Wow one of those is 1200 miles, nice! Guessing that's an outdoor antenna?
    1200 miles, yeah that's KHSV 2 Las Vegas, via E skip. I see that's one that the Milford dx site has NOT logged and it might be because it would be a LONG 1xEs reception, possibly 2xEs. I have custom built antennas currently at 25'. The rotator bit the dust, so I have the mast all the way down so I can manually turn the antennas. I have a 5 element VHF 2-6 built from the design of a professional Kathrein-Scala yagi and a modified *12 bay* Channel Master UHF antenna. I seem to be in a difficult location for getting much tropo, due to the rolling Ozarks hills and heavy woods of the region. It takes special weather conditions to get any long distance dx in here. My best directions are South and Southwest.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Thread Information