Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new HDTV

Default Looking for new HDTV

Currently using a 7 year old Samsung 32 inch. It's OK except for one real issue. Power consumption. In fact this gives off so much heat that right now the AC in an adjacent room is having a tough time keeping my room relatively comfortable. I noted new 32 inch and smaller TV's use around 50 watts or less of power vs. the nearly 200 watts my Samsung consumes.

This leads me to the following. At one time a couple of people recommended LG as a good TV for DX and overall reception. I bought one but the picture was not very good. And I didn't find the tuner to be an upgrade from my 7 year old Samsung. Replaced it with a Insignia which has a better tuner and picture but for DX purposes it is less than ideal since you can't even add new channels without doing a complete rescan. At least with my Samsung I can physically punch in an apparent unused channel under ordinary reception conditions and have it add a station coming in via skip. Can't do that with many TV's I suspect.

Wondered if anyone has used Vizio or TCL TV's for DX and general reception and was wondering how sensitive the tuners are and if it is easier to add channels for DX purposes?

Will, you should go to the WTFDA's main website....http://www.wtfda.org/

There is a short article on the front page....Our List of STBs (and DTVs) Good For TV Dxing

Keep in mind if you are really wanting it for TV dxing, you should also want an analog tuner in the TV. Many of the brands are dropping analog tuners now. The LG's continue to have the analog tuner, in addition to direct access to the digital RF channels by going into setup and then channel editing. I have a 32" LG brand that is now about 7 years old and I am quite pleased with it, although it isn't really my dx TV. I do use the analog tuner in it for Es (generally looking for Cuba), but my main dxing tools for DTV are the Zenith STB and the HDHR auto logger.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Another thing to consider, down the road.....ATSC 3.0.

Even the newer TV's sold in stores today can be old hat, if/when 3.0 is implemented. This means "Deja vu" of 2009, with converter boxes and such.

Something to consider, before plunking down $ for a new TV now.

cd

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    Will, you should go to the WTFDA's main website....http://www.wtfda.org/

There is a short article on the front page....Our List of STBs (and DTVs) Good For TV Dxing

Keep in mind if you are really wanting it for TV dxing, you should also want an analog tuner in the TV. Many of the brands are dropping analog tuners now. The LG's continue to have the analog tuner, in addition to direct access to the digital RF channels by going into setup and then channel editing. I have a 32" LG brand that is now about 7 years old and I am quite pleased with it, although it isn't really my dx TV. I do use the analog tuner in it for Es (generally looking for Cuba), but my main dxing tools for DTV are the Zenith STB and the HDHR auto logger.
    Not much in the way of analog TV left. I am looking at the manuals of every TV I am considering before making any decision as to what to purchase. Noted the Vizio like the LG can pick up analog signals. And adding new channels is also possible. Will be buying a 24 inch which is cheap and will have multi function capability. Back up computer monitor, DX TV and also mostly for main TV viewing. Space is at a premium in my current home and I have to be mindful of the size of any electronics that I buy as well as the amount of heat it generates. LG looks like it may work since I read some reviews that the picture of the newer models is much better than the model I bought about three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    Another thing to consider, down the road.....ATSC 3.0.

Even the newer TV's sold in stores today can be old hat, if/when 3.0 is implemented. This means "Deja vu" of 2009, with converter boxes and such.

Something to consider, before plunking down $ for a new TV now.

cd
    Not an issue. If I was going to buy a large TV and spend a lot of money then this would matter. Just going to buy a 24 inch right now to tide me over for a while and then wait to see what happens with the repack.

Be very careful with Vizio units. These are being sold as monitors and not HDTVs because they do not have tuners! I think Vizio calls them digital display monitors now. Vizio seems to think OTA is dying and in the future people will only be streaming. And without a tuner in the unit the price would be lower, supposedly.

I stream with DirectvNow but I still need a tuner for my locals stations. The OTT services are streaming more locals, but just the major networks and not everything. You really still need a tuner.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

I have been reading about this on the electronics manufacturers forums - electronics industry analysts have been speculating recently that TV's will eventually become just digital monitors, with DTV tuners being a stand-alone product. The speculation for this points to ATSC 3.0. You have a stand alone ATSC 3.0 tuner, with an HDMI cable bridging the gap. Its been said that *many electronics manufacturers feel they are going to get a bad rap* when ATSC 3.0 comes out and they would have an ATSC 3.0 tuner in the set, given that OTA viewers will still remember the ATV > DTV transition. Many people don't think there will be another CECB program when ATSC 3.0 is fully rolled out, due to the fact many are transitioning to streaming TV. That means no $$ breaks or help in buying a converter box. It also means if you buy a ATSC 3.0 stand alone receiver, you can cable it to your ATSC 1.0 TV.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-CT View Post
    Be very careful with Vizio units. These are being sold as monitors and not HDTVs because they do not have tuners! I think Vizio calls them digital display monitors now. Vizio seems to think OTA is dying and in the future people will only be streaming. And without a tuner in the unit the price would be lower, supposedly.

I stream with DirectvNow but I still need a tuner for my locals stations. The OTT services are streaming more locals, but just the major networks and not everything. You really still need a tuner.
    Thanks Mike. Good info. Will be sure to completely read the box of any Vizio TV I may purchase first.

BTW. Still have that CM 4251 that you sold me in 2000. Hope to use it again one of these days when I buy a rural property for recreation purposes. Currently living in a urban area in KY just south of downtown Cincinnati and I not only don't have room to install that behemoth but it would also overload my tuners since I have so many strong signals nearby. Now that I am back in a house again I want to get a DXing system back in place. Have not done it for several years since I last owned a house in a small town outside of Kansas City.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    I have been reading about this on the electronics manufacturers forums - electronics industry analysts have been speculating recently that TV's will eventually become just digital monitors, with DTV tuners being a stand-alone product. The speculation for this points to ATSC 3.0. You have a stand alone ATSC 3.0 tuner, with an HDMI cable bridging the gap. Its been said that *many electronics manufacturers feel they are going to get a bad rap* when ATSC 3.0 comes out and they would have an ATSC 3.0 tuner in the set, given that OTA viewers will still remember the ATV > DTV transition. Many people don't think there will be another CECB program when ATSC 3.0 is fully rolled out, due to the fact many are transitioning to streaming TV. That means no $$ breaks or help in buying a converter box. It also means if you buy a ATSC 3.0 stand alone receiver, you can cable it to your ATSC 1.0 TV.

If I am reading this correctly, upgrading to the new ATSC 3.0 system, at least initially, would be a lot like buying a STB for HDTV signals to work on an old pre HDTV tuner TV. Is this correct? If so, then any TV I buy could probably work with a new stand alone tuner. In that case perhaps I should consider buying a larger screen and mounting it on the wall. Newer HDTV's use a lot less juice than units built in 2009 to 2010 when mine was built.

That is correct. The ATSC 3.0 set top box (STB) will have an HDMI cable that connects to your HDTV. It is NOT a converter box. It would actually receive the ATSC 3.0 signal from the connected antenna cable. Keep in mind this is all just industry conjecture at the present time. The big players in the electronics industry will set the tempo when their decisions have been made.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Thread Information