Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KRBK 49 signal issues

I will mention something otherwise absent from this discussion. If the signal is staying consistent when these drops are happening, it could be at the station end. To the best of my knowledge, the KRBK transmitters are all fed via C-band satellite. So it's possible they're having satellite signal issues and it's showing up over the air.

Not highly likely, but possible.

- Trip
    Come visit RabbitEars for all your digital TV subchannel informational needs.

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

KRBK signal was at it again a couple days ago. Keep in mind I am only 11 miles from the Springfield tower. This was with the outdoor antenna pointed directly at their tower. I recorded this with my iPhone (.mov), then converted it to wmv format. Video runs a bit over half a minute. You can see what the signal is doing, no explanation needed.

I sent an email to the KRBK engineers last week about this and no one has bothered to reply to me.

I will mention there was a weather alert crawl running at the time I recorded this, BUT that wasn't the issue. KRBK's signal will do this at random times throughout the day (evenings are the worst) when it is perfectly good weather. Anyone have an idea what's going on here? I can't believe its a satellite signal issue, with the terrestrial signal bouncing like that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

I finally received an MSN Messenger message from Arthur C. Morris, a contract engineer for KRBK. Other *engineers* on the WTFDA Forums might be interested in reading his comments about KRBK's signal coverage.

On October 20, Mr. Morris wrote, "A few of the guys from the forum are correct. Because we have a DTS style system our transmission does create dead zones by being on the same frequencies. A TV tuner currently cannot differentiate the multiple signals, and if the timing is not perfect (nanoseconds), they can cancel each other out. Leaving a person with a strong signal but dropouts. Depending on where each person is located they can have up to three towers overlapping a little bit. We generally try to advise people to get a very directional antenna to help, but sideband can still affect this. With ATSC 3.0 tuners should be able to detect different carriers in the same band and provide you with the best option but currently impossible. We are planning on changing this design by next year with the permission of FCC to provide a more standardized setup. This was a system implemented before me and the other engineer and is not ideal. It was a brilliant idea, but there is a reason why we are the only other DTS with this much overlap in the country. We provide a good signal to most, but some will struggle until either ATSC 3 or our new installation next year."

Today (Oct. 22) I received this message from Mr. Morris, "It's part of the FCC's spectrum repack. We're being moved to channel 22. So, as a part of that process, we've proposed to have a single tower out at KOLR10's tower near Fordland. That would give us almost exactly the same facility as channel 27. It'll be another year before it's done, but it'll finally solve the signal problems inherent in this multiple tower system."
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Thread Information