Thread: Dominican Republic, Haiti to tackle FM radio and mobile phone interference

Default Dominican Republic, Haiti to tackle FM radio and mobile phone interference

Imagine if you lived on the border and only received cell phone service from another country. Even your local calls were roaming, meaning that calling anyone was more expensive than it should be.

That's reality for some people in the border regions of the Dominican Republic and Haiti, who only receive each other's mobile phone service. That interference issue, along with others in FM radio, will soon be tackled by the two countries' telecommunications regulators.

INDOTEL and CONATEL (Haiti) have agreed to look into solutions to the interference problems, as well as to renew their inter-institutional agreement from 2007 on the allocation of television spectrum with an eye toward digital services.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Here's another article on the meeting. Apparently 233 Haitian stations "invade" Dominican territory and 33 Dominican stations can be heard in Haiti. The former seems to have a very poorly regulated broadcast sector, so...

The bigger problem is definitely the phone service. Even the Dominican senator interviewed says he pays 4,000 pesos a month ($84.62) in roaming charges. Yikes.
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Interesting article Raymie. I have written a four page article on the state of FM radio in Haiti for the WTFDA publication VHF-UHF Digest (VUD), which will be appearing in an upcoming issue. It outlines a September 2016 emergency press conference meeting the Director General of Haiti's CONATEL held. The situation on the FM band in Haiti is extreme. Since that article will be released in the near future, I will forego sharing any of the details of that meeting here.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

I have spoken, at length, with a man who does Christian missionary work in Haiti. He tells me the government is as ineffective as it is corrupt. (sounds familiar) It'll be interesting to see if the border area issues can be resolved.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    Last edited by NN2E; 08-01-2017 at 03:14 AM.
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Thread Information