Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UNID Channel 3

Default UNID Channel 3

This may not be identifiable, but I received this UNID on analog channel 3 yesterday at 6:35 pm EDT which appeared to have a government-type program aiming south. There appears to be a logo in the upper right, but it's too difficult to make out. At the time, I was also seeing double-hop from Columbia. The only similar thread I saw related to this was here... http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?9782-unID-ch-3 ... this mystery was never solved, and I don't even know for sure if I had the same channel. Could this be something good, or just Cubavision?

Here is a link to the video I uploaded... https://youtu.be/kOzITyXBIbc
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

To me that looks like the Republic of Panama, TVN (Televisora Nacional) relayer from the Atlantic Coast in Colon city. If it is, then you have 2X Es ~2,200 miles.

GACTVDX... I'm leaning toward Señal Institucion from Colombia. I checked their program schedule for yesterday at that time, and indeed it has government programming all day called Enlace Canal Congreso. Here is what their logos look like. Is this mystery solved??...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9507.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	20779

That kinda looks like a congressional chamber and a legislator speaking. I agree on the Canal Institucional // Canal Congreso ID.

(not Señal, Canal, I forgot about that)
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Thanks Raymie, the program was definitely government. I had the signal in and out from around 6 pm to almost 7 pm EDT. I had better video I witnessed but my camera memory was full and I had to wait forever to move all photos and videos from my camera to computer, all while I could not document the clear images!! Here is a cleaned up photo... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UNID 3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	20781
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

Yup, that's Canal Congreso. Note the high luminance "DIRECTO" box UL, the cut off high luminance "CI TV" circle upper right, and a lower third with a top line I can't make out and the date "Agosto 3 de 2017".
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Andrew,

Assuming that what you saw is not "breaking news," could you try to check the video stream of Señal Institucional exactly one week later from the time you caught that? Maybe the video next week at that time could nail it.

Looking at the UR, logo looks somewhat like Señal I., but I thought it changed logo and maybe even station name.

Edit....nvm, Raymie has it.

Heck of a catch there Andrew. I have yet to definitely catch any South America this year---I'm not even sure if I had it last year at home.

cd

Colombian state run national television Señal Institucional used to be Canal Institucional
    which launched in 2004.

Prior to that from 1992-2004 it was 'Canal A' - ya regresamos (We're back).
    Logo:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colombia_CanalA_3.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	20785

Enlace a Canal Congreso program started at 8:00 am till 10:30 pm; fourteen and a half hours!

The town of Pamplona is 210 miles northeast of Bogota; 14 miles west of the Colombian-Venezuelan
    border which would be ~2,395 miles distance with an azimuth of 165 degrees from Akron, Ohio.

Pamplona, Norte de Santander sits at elevation of 7,218 feet above sea level.

However the transmission tower is located 4.5 miles southwest of Pamplona, Norte de Santander,
    elevation of 12,074 feet above sea level.

The half-way point of 1,198 miles would place it 80 miles southeast of Nassau, Bahamas
    if this was a single hop Es event; which it is not.

For a double hop Es the first impact would be 63 miles east of Charleston, South Carolina
    along the North Atlantic Ocean; then the second impact would be in the middle of the Caribbean
    Sea, 208 miles southeast of Kingston, Jamaica.

Senal Institutional call sign is 5JA-8340 from Pamplona using 120kW of power.

Website: http://www.pamplona-nortedesantander...s/default.aspx
    Last edited by GACTVDX; 08-04-2017 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Update-2

Here are overhead satellite images of the tower site:
    1.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colombia_Tower_Señal Institucion.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	20783
    2. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colombia_Tower_Señal Institucion2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	20784

Thanks GACTVDX!! I measured the exact distance as 2,394 miles to my home. I will add this to the logbook. I'll tune into their live webstream next week and see if I can get a matching screenshot. This is my 6th double-hop capture this year, so it's been an excellent Es season here. The 12" B&W TV I use seems super-sensitive too, compared to the other TVs I use, so that undoubtedly helped.

Thread Information