Thread: Well? Whaddya think?

Default Well? Whaddya think?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i8DXuY-0gm8

So far it's the only close-to-recognizable ping in this Perseids deal! See synopsis.

cd

Ocean FM, without a doubt! And I was surprised to see that my HDHR autologger is actually *seeing* Ms pings this morning. I've attached two screen captures of the performance graphs for DTV 2 and DTV 3. There is absolutely NO Es being received here this morning, so I know this isn't *brief* Es popping up. The spikes on the right side of the graph represent meteor scatter pings. The left side of the graph is what those two channels look like most of the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DTV 2 - Perseids 8-11-17.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	521.5 KB 
ID:	20805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DTV 3 - Perseids 8-11-17.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	525.2 KB 
ID:	20806  
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas View Post
    Ocean FM, without a doubt! And I was surprised to see that my HDHR autologger is actually *seeing* Ms pings this morning. I've attached two screen captures of the performance graphs for DTV 2 and DTV 3. There is absolutely NO Es being received here this morning, so I know this isn't *brief* Es popping up. The spikes on the right side of the graph represent meteor scatter pings. The left side of the graph is what those two channels look like most of the time.
    Jim, I would not believe that those are Ms pings on your HDHR unless I knew for certain I saw the Ms for myself. There's too much that could cause those signal strengths to spike up like that. Look at your channel 3 over the past 30 days. The signal is all over the place... https://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/ren.../-720hours/now

Why do you suppose there's so many fluctuations like that?

Andrew, the reason the signals fluctuate so much over the past 30 days is because I move my antenna around. And I know for a fact more than 90% of those spikes you are referring to are indeed Es spikes. I have been moving my VHF 2-6 antenna around this summer quite a bit actually, when there are Es present. It isn't staying the same direction ALL THE TIME. They are my DX antennas.

THIS WEEK I have intentionally left the VHF 2-6 antenna pointed EAST, hoping to see if there would be any results with the Perseids meteor shower. When my DX antennas have an almost direct East bearing, they receive the least amount of noise. I will EMPHATICALLY say this, I NEVER see this type of activity on DTV 2 or DTV 3 when the antennas are East, so this is what caught me by surprise. I am almost certain this is meteor scatter spikes, whether YOU agree or NOT. I am not here to DEBATE what YOUR HDHR does at YOUR location, or the HDHR performance at my location. I know what I experience with my autologger. I probably watch it almost TOO MUCH.

Back in the analog TV days (before you were a TV dxer), I would watch analog TV 2 and actually see very brief bursts of video on the screen during meteor showers. So if it would happen with analog, why can't it happen with digital? And I know there are other DTV dxers that have logged DTV via Ms. I just haven't been fortunate enough yet for it to happen to me.

And it wasn't my intention to HIJACK CD's thread about receiving Ocean FM via Ms. Please PM me if you want to discuss this further. I was just hoping to illustrate that I honestly believe my HDHR is *seeing* Ms pings. IF you don't agree those are Ms pings, please enlighten me with your explanation in a PM.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Making FM Dxing more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

NP Jim.

Another "reverse Murphy" Ms catch, exactly 12 hours after Ocean...

WVTF 89.1 Roanoke VA

cd

Thread Information