Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Font fun

Default Font fun

Hey, does anyone know the official name of this font in the photo? We seasoned folk know that it was prevalent in the early 70s, but seemed to drop off the face of the earth.

WAJA 23 (now WLTV) was English almost all day long, until Feb or Mar 1971. I think this photo was from early 1970. Later on, they used the same font for their promos that is now the logo of Canal 2 in El Salvador; that font is still kicking around.

cd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	20849  

Ok, since I'm in the graphics biz, I knew that I should know this one....its very similar to Bauhaus Bold. Its possible it has a different name, but I can't find it.

It appears to be a variation of Bauhaus, but some of the letters in the original Bauhaus have breaks (separation) in them, such as the 'b'. In your example, all of the letters are 'closed' (no breaks or separation).

http://www.identifont.com/differences?first=ITC+Bauhaus+(EF)&second=ITC+Bauh aus+Bold

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauhaus_(typeface)

Just a side note - font design (type face) is a dying art. Back in the days of print, there were actual font artists. They made their living designing fonts. Most fonts were trademarked and patented. The fonts were eventually owned by large publishing houses and you could buy a license to use them. Today, even in your PC, laptop, tablet or smartphone, there is a license attached to the fonts that are installed in the device. Back in the day, the font business was really big $$$. If you were a really good font designer, you could make a pretty good living.

Keep in mind that in CD's example, it was designed WITHOUT the aid of a computer. That slide had to be made by hand, in some fashion.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Well, Bauhaus seems to be the new modern version of what is in the photo. I think WPBT 2 used Bauhaus in its own "wpbt2" logo for many years. Click below.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Wow that's a mouthful.

BTW Jim, what *is* that Canal 2 font?

cd

The Canal 2 is Futura Bold.

cd

Your link goes to Google with a WPBT slide (among others). If that is what you are referring to - a slightly modified version of Bauhaus also. This one....

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cn6ULuPrn6I/hqdefault.jpg

And its interesting that someone took a picture of it with multipath distortion (ghosting). Es or tropo reception?

***But I see you answered your own question and I didn't see any reference to a Canal 2.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Yeah I wonder if that was from Girard Westerberg's old site---he used to have a "channel 2 cam."

Here is a good look at 2/4/6 El Salvador:

http://www.esmitv.com/

(Sorry on the Google images---I *thought* that I singled out the one photo.

cd

I checked that WPBT slide again, which was from 1987. The video was Es from WA5IYX Pat in San Antonio!

On the subject of fonts, the choice and selection of fonts by companies (which includes TV broadcasters) has always been a serious matter, because it is a form of communication with the public. Companies that have a handle on their marketing efforts don't mess around with their font selection, or change it very often (if ever). Changing the font/design very often sends a subliminal message to the public that the people in charge don't know what they're doing (wish-washy?)
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

It's not ITC Ronda (that came out in 1970)...or Bauhaus...

I think it's going to be Harry, which was released in 1966. It should be noted that the link is to a 2009 revival of this typeface, and of course not all characters made the leap to digital type sometimes (as is the case with Ronda).
    Este programa es público, ajeno a cualquier partido político. Queda prohibido el uso para fines distintos a los establecidos en el programa.

Read the Mexico Beat | Download Mexican FM Station Coordinates v2 | View my HD Radio in Mexico map

Quote Originally Posted by Raymie View Post
    It's not ITC Ronda (that came out in 1970)...or Bauhaus...

I think it's going to be Harry, which was released in 1966. It should be noted that the link is to a 2009 revival of this typeface, and of course not all characters made the leap to digital type sometimes (as is the case with Ronda).
    Yup, looks a lot like Harry Heavy. And....only $60. [rolleyes]

I looked up the font that ABC uses, which is similar, but not the same. Looks like it is actually called the ABC Font:

https://fontmeme.com/abc-font/

Thanks guys.

cd

I imagined what the call letters of stations that have been with ABC would look like in the style of the ABC font.
    Especially stations that have, or had, the letters A, B, C, D, P and/or Q in their callsigns.

Kegan

Thread Information