Thread: Do you recognize this Winegard antenna?

Default Do you recognize this Winegard antenna?

Does anyone recognize this antenna and know the model # of it? It's the top antenna in the pic. The bottom one is a custom VHF 7-13.

I have had this UHF yagi for several years. The carton (box) for it has been gone for a long time. I can't find the manufacturers paperwork for it. I am trying to locate the model number for it. I have sent an email request to the Winegard Company to see if they can identify it.

I have done a lot of internet searches for it and the closest one is the PR-9032, but its boom length is 116.25" with 35 active elements. There is another that is smaller - the HD-9095p, with a boom length of 95" and 35 active elements.

Here are MY measured specs:
    Active Elements 42
    Boom Length 101"
    Maximum Width 20"
    Vertical Height 38"
    Element Diameter 3/8"

It is unclear to me what antenna manufacturers consider *active elements*, so I am not certain if my referenced number is correct. I am counting ALL elements that are the directors and the driven elements, which adds up to 42. The boom length measures tip to tip.

***Someone has pointed out to me it is possible this is an Antennacraft antenna rather than a Winegard. But I thought I originally ordered a Winegard from Solid Signal. But as mentioned, it has been so long ago, I might be confusing it with a Winegard antenna I bought in the past. I would still like to identify this antenna.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Antennas 9-04-17.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	20875  
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 09-04-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Yup... That's an AntennaCraft MXU-59... Exact copy of what's in my (1992-?) Ant-Craft catalog.

TV antenna manufacturers like to throw lots of numbers around to make it seem their antennas are superior. Sometimes, I think they like to count every little bolt, nut & rivet so they can come up with some silly, "Active Elements" number.

Gain figures are another place where they like to, "cheat."...

... "dbi" - is db gain over a theoretical, perfectly omni-directional, (isotropic) antenna. No such antenna exists. It's about 2 db higher than...

... "dbd" - which is db gain over a conventional dipole antenna. A more realistic gain measurement. They like using the, "dbi" figure.

They'll also pick a forward gain figure from the antenna's upper operational frequency because that's where the gain is highest...

... Forward gain, for a UHF antenna, may be 15 db at channel 51 but only 10 db at channel 14 so, of course, they'll advertise the 15 db figure.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    Last edited by NN2E; 09-04-2017 at 05:39 PM.
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Thanks Ed! And I appreciate the additional comments about *marketing tactics*

I wonder if antenna manufacturers will be able to swallow their product pride after the channel repack and post true numbers of the available channels for reception? I suppose time will tell....
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

I dunno, Jim...

From what I've seen of the TV ads, all I have to do is buy...

"BUT, WAIT, THERE'S MORE!"

... one of those, "Free TV Key" antennas and I can take down all of my other antennas...

"BUY ONE AND GET THE SECOND ONE, FREE!"

... Oh, goody!

"ACT NOW! OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY!"

Don't hold your breath on that, "true numbers" idea. :-)

73, Ed NN2E
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Currently DXing In Colbert And Lauderdale Counties In AL, And Alcorn And Tishomingo Counties In MS.

That antenna looks a lot like the HD Stacker(produced by Winegard exclusively sold by Denny's Antenna) but it isn't as previously stated. Here is a link to the HD Stacker if anyone is interested: http://dennysantennaservice.com/hd_s...enna-html.html

Quote Originally Posted by NN2E View Post
    I dunno, Jim...

From what I've seen of the TV ads, all I have to do is buy...

"BUT, WAIT, THERE'S MORE!"

... one of those, "Free TV Key" antennas and I can take down all of my other antennas...

"BUY ONE AND GET THE SECOND ONE, FREE!"

... Oh, goody!

"ACT NOW! OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY!"

Don't hold your breath on that, "true numbers" idea. :-)

73, Ed NN2E
    Nothing compares to this....

https://www.milk.com/wall-o-shame/dish.html

cd

The MXU 59 is a very good antenna. I still own one. In Fringe and Deep Fringe environments away from strong signals it excels in picking up weak UHF signals. A few years ago when I lived in Richmond, MO I installed one on the roof of my house. I was able to pick up a couple of very weak UHF signals from LPTV stations in KC reliably. Both were two edge and one had a NM of minus 7 and the other was minus 14! Stable signals in each case. I still own one but don't use it at my current home since I have a lot of strong signals in the area.

Not a Snacker. I tried one in 2010. Good but not really ideal for Deep Fringe. The Snacker has the VHF portion of the antenna on top or above the UHF part of the antenna. UHF elements are quite a bit shorter than the antenna shown in the photo. Looks like a MXU 59. Excellent antenna.

Thread Information