Thread: Hurricane Irma - Southeastern US dxers please check in here

Default Hurricane Irma - Southeastern US dxers please check in here

This is intended to be a post-Hurricane Irma update thread. Any WTFDA members living in the impact area of Hurricane Irma, please check in here with an update or status of the well being of yourself and your family - AFTER - the hurricane has passed your area. Let us know how things went and if you *feel* like sharing photos of the aftermath of your immediate area, that is okay.

Be safe and take heed to your local warnings and direction given by authorities.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Good idea, Jim.

We are in Ocala and plan to hunker down (does anybody ever "hunker up"?) in the kitchen of Elizabeth's family house tomorrow.

DX related----for those of you who DX AM, and are away from Irma: by all means, check for AM stations in FL and GA that will be running day power/pattern. Especially 690 WOKV Jacksonville, who will say "104.5" a lot. Maybe 540 "WFLA" (actually WFLF), 820 WWBA, 740 WYGM, 710 WAQI "Radio Mambí", 850 WFTL, 970 WFLA (really WFLA), 1010 Tampa, and a host of others.

cd

Checking in from Fort Myers, which has the bullseye right now. I've been at the station since yesterday afternoon and don't plan on leaving until Tuesday morning. Our live stream is running at http://www.nbc-2.com/, with yours truly behind the scenes. I have my Sangean PR-D4W with me and am using my downtime to monitor/record the radio stations. Should make a nice YouTube video... provided I still have computers to edit with when I get back home.

Thoughts and prayers are appreciated. I'll see you all on the other side.
    :: Ryan Grabow
    :: egrabow.com/dx
    :: facebook.com/egrabow440
    :: youtube.com/user/egrabow440
    View My Logbook
    99 Digital TV ::
    455 FM Stations ::

Well, we're still alive down here. I'll make one last sweep of the radio stations to see which ones are off the air.
    Still won't be going home for a while. Hopefully it held up. :\
    :: Ryan Grabow
    :: egrabow.com/dx
    :: facebook.com/egrabow440
    :: youtube.com/user/egrabow440
    View My Logbook
    99 Digital TV ::
    455 FM Stations ::

I am still in Ocala. *Many* stations are off. Doing AM DXing at night.

Things are a bit difficult here due to lack of gasoline/electricity....but thanks be to God, we are managing. I have some interesting photos, but they will have to wait.

92.9 WMFQ is off and Valdosta was possible on Rod antenna.

cd

It is good to know that you are well, I hope you can soon rebuild what was destroyed by the hurricane. The most important thing is to be alive. Take care.

I'm glad you are okay, Chris. Hope you can get the power on back soon, but I think it will be a while, unfortunately, and the roads have to be cleared first for the gasoline to get there. I hope your home is okay. There seems to be not much left of the Florida keys. Rebuilding will be massive job. Hang in there.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72° 30' W/41° 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Oh wow I shoulda notified all of you.

97.3 WSKY Micanopy/Gainesville FL & 98.5 WKTK Crystal River had been simulcasting the last few days, getting the word out (via callers) as to who has gas, electricity, etc. Radio is coming through big time, at a time when many were without cell service. The hosts have been very upbeat/positive (sometimes quashing the grumblers calling in), and having an excellent sense of humor when it's needed the most.

WKTK was playing music this evening, so the simulcast might have ended. If you can grab a WSKY stream (not the TV in NC!), listen for compelling radio (for a change).

c d

Home now, and thanks be to God that we have electricity--translated, air conditioning!

I have NO urge to put any antennas back up. It took me some time to reconcile my bank account, as I was using debit/credit cards. Calculator got a workout tonight.

Now there is Tropical Storm or Hurricane Maria. No sense in working on the house yet, if this storm comes our way. I need to get back to work!!

Photos may come later, if I come around....

cd

Glad you're back and have power, Chris. Ryan, is your home ok?

Tommy

Thread Information