Thread: Auroral FM unIDs and audio clips

Default Auroral FM unIDs and audio clips

My best receiver for getting auroral FM DX is a portable Sangean ATS909. It's easy to get signals by aiming the dipole in just the right way and listening through headphones. Generally easier than listening on larger radios where I am equipped to record. The following three recordings of Au were "accidents" that happened while recording for Ms.

The clips are from July 16 around 0800 EDT. I've IDed the first clip. It took a long time, and at first I thought I was dealing with weak Tr because an IL-ON path had been reported a few hours prior. But there was some Au reported in ON later that day.

In the clip that is IDed, I clearly hear show promos mentioning MN Public Radio News. On 88.9 that means KNSR Collegeville, which is new by Au but previously heard here via Es and Ms (and which I heard again later on July 16 by Ms, so one station by two modes in one day).

But this is followed by two clips I can't quite make out.

88.9 = The ID is right at the start, and there is all sorts of IDable info like sponsors. Then weather. Then more sponsors, including the Sisters of something, serving since 1857. Then into Weekend Edition. Not sure this is MN Public Radio.

98.3 = I am sure there is an ID in here, there's also an ad (some kind of co-op?) with a phone number and weather.

Any ideas on these? My Au range is usually east-west, and between 300 and 800 miles. So to the west, generally MN WI IS NE SD ND, and sometimes MI. To the east, upper New England out to ME, as well as NS QC and NB. With intense Au I can go south of these states, but I doubt that was the case here.

There aren't many guarantees in life. But I can guarantee your ears will get a workout thanks to the muffled sound of aurorae.

Have fun, and thanks!

Saul
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Hi Saul...

I spent about 10 minutes downloading (dial-up) your 98.3 clip just to see if it's my local WJLI... I don't think it is.

However... I hear the female voice talking about, "area businesses" at the 19 second mark followed by a, "762-3434" phone number at the 21 second mark.

If I had a decent set of headphones I could probably get more out of this clip.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Hi Ed,
    I'm not where my notes are but will give the clip a review and see if they match whatever I'd written down. Recall partial luck with the number. Then will give it another go. Au isn't easy to work...thanks!
    Saul
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Hi Saul...

I've spent a majority of my Ham Radio hobby (42 years) on 1.8 MHz digging itty-bitty signals out of the noise so I've had plenty of practice with this sort of thing.

If I can find another set of headphones (my last set quit working) I'll give it another listen. I did the best I could with sticking my head between the speakers but it's just not the same as a good set of 'cans.'

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Hi, Saul,

Congrats on the Au catches.

Your second 88.9 clip is also KNSR. At the beginning I hear "You're tuned to 88.9 KNSR, Collegeville/St. Cloud." Also, the sisters reference is to the Sisters of the Order of St. Benedict, who are in St. Cloud and were founded in 1857.

98.3 unID - At :20 into clip, the announcer says, "This weather update is sponsored by Thompson HVAC (some other words directly after that), your local Touchstone Star dealer, (at Phillips in northwest Rogers ?)" then the announcer goes into the current weather conditions and forecast.

Ed mentioned a phone number above - 762-3434 (but it sounds like 764-3434, which I believe is the number for the radio station). The female announcer starts the segment/promo with, "Do you have.....<her voice buried in the audio hiss>...local business...... discount coupons from area businesses. For more information call 764-3434" then it goes to the weather update segment.

Using Audacity and the filters helped a lot, but the items in parenthesis are still questionable.
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 11-03-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Thanks everyone,

I suspected the second 88.9 clip would also be KNSR but I wasn't sure. The reception is so marginal in quality that I appreciate having the sponsorship info for the logbook.

Re the 98.3 ... Good work on Thompson and Northstar and possible phone numbers. I actually hear 762-3594, but I agree it's likely the station. Two things in favour of WCQM in Park Falls WI. Main phone line is 715-762-3221. Note the 762... Also, it seems to come in the easiest of anything on 98.3 during Au. It's also close enough to MN, and almost on a direct line with Collegeville MN, which is where KNSR 88.9 is. I am not 100% yet on this, but it appears very likely.

We're approaching the solar minimum, but that doesn't thwart solar wind - just CMEs, so even in this low point there's Au DX to be had. Not easy for the ears to work it, so I appreciate those who did give the clips a spin. Thanks!!!

Saul
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Well I found your Thompson's HVAC (Heating and Services Inc). They are located in Mercer WI, just northeast of Park Falls.
    https://goo.gl/maps/d2hcjNzK8FB2

And incidently, I was able to clarify they are a dealership for Tempstar. Enter the zip code 64547 and you will see Thompson's listed...
    https://www.tempstar.com/en/us/find-a-dealer/
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

And a follow up to this Saul....

I sent an email to Q98 this afternoon-

"Hello,

I would like to know if Q98 was running weather updates this past summer sponsored by Thompson's HVAC? Also - does Q98 run a promo for discounts from area businesses?

A friend in Ontario recorded a brief clip of a station this summer on 98.3 that he is trying to identify. He thinks it might be your station. I have listened to the audio clip and have verified at the beginning of the audio recording, the woman says "Do you have.....<her voice buried in FM audio hiss>...local business...... discount coupons from area businesses. For more information call 762-xxxx." then it goes to a weather update, "This weather update is sponsored by Thompson's HVAC (some other words directly after that), your local Touchstone TempStar dealer, (location specified, can't determine where)" then the announcer goes into the current weather conditions and forecast.

Does this sound like anything Q98 would have been running in June 2017? Thanks!

Jim Thomas
    Springfield, Missouri"

And I got this reply....

"Yes, I can confirm that the audio is WCQM 98.3FM out of Park Falls, WI....98Q Country.
    Those are our commercials.

Joel Karnick
    Program Director
    WCQM 98Q Country/Freedom Talk 980AM WPFP
    Park Falls, WI
    production@wcqm.com"
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

I wonder what the reaction would have been had I sent them the actual clip! I can't imagine anyone not in the hobby would have either the patience to work a clip or would even recognize that as needing to be done. They'd think I'm some kind of crazy. Aurora sure isn't e-skip! I will e-mail them and explain. They're pretty much an auroral regular. Thanks!
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Thread Information