Thread: Update: Remote DTV DX site Payson, IL

Default Update: Remote DTV DX site Payson, IL

As of two weeks ago, the Payson, IL remote controlled DX site has been updated with newer equipment and its own antenna setup, plus remote control of the rotor (Yaesu G-450A), which is a big plus. Antennas: two older Triax Unix 100 W/B UHF antennas horizontally stacked @ 21 ft. AGL and a Stellar Labs VHF-hi antenna (8 ft. long) @ 17.5 ft. AGL. These are plugged into an old-style (separate VHF/UHF inputs) CM 7777 preamp. My friend, who owns the property, wanted it to be a stand-alone installation so it is at the edge of the property next to a cornfield. A support pole was installed in concrete and then the mast was installed on a hinged base and walked up, then U-bolts were used to connect it to the support pole. The equipment updates now allow for screenshots of DTV reception.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23032382_10211945774814606_6747774296749945980_n.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	21120
    Last edited by indysteve; 11-05-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: left out a word

Nice upgrade setup indysteve. I would like to put together a remote setup like this to the southeast of my location outside the city of Houston Texas. What software are you using to operate this setup remotely & take screenshots of DTV reception.

Quote Originally Posted by amfmtvdtvbrla View Post
    Nice upgrade setup indysteve. I would like to put together a remote setup like this to the southeast of my location outside the city of Houston Texas. What software are you using to operate this setup remotely & take screenshots of DTV reception.
    Thanks. Yes, if you can get it outside the city you'll get better results away from lots of city RF and other interference issues. That's what mikegmach1 and I have found with Milford, IL and now with Payson, IL.

Mikegmach1 is my local DXing buddy and he's the one that knows computers and loading software to make all of this work. I will let him chime in with the answer to your last comment.

OK Thanks indysteve.

The primary software for remote DXing is Teamviewer, which lets you control your remote computer from another computer. As for DXing you would use the same setup you have locally, such as an HDHomerun tuner and scanning software. The screenshots are created by using the viewer in hdhomerun_gui on the remote computer which is part of the software that comes with the tuner. Then, take a screenshot at home using Teamviewer.

If you want to control your rotor remotely you will need a rotor that can be computer controlled. Yaesu offers that capability as an extra on their DXA rotors, but the less expensive G450-C can be computer controlled with the appropriate hack. A German ham sells a board that can be used for that purpose. His company is Easy Rotor Control and his stuff is sold in the US through Vibroflex.com.

Of course a good internet connection is important. The Milford remote has poor internet but Steve manages to get some screenshots anyway!
    Mike Glass N9BNN
    Lebanon, IN
    EM69

Thread Information