Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rules update needed?

Quote Originally Posted by indysteve View Post
    I like cd's comment that he doesn't keep logs. This hobby would be a lot easier and have less hassle if we simply didn't keep logs and a running total of stations received. I'm all in for that. This is a hobby and I have fun seeing what can be received. Actually, logging and counting the stations received is my least favorite thing to do. Let's have fun!
    Steve, that's a good point. I've been DXing for many years... mostly just for fun while I was growing up, and I never counted logs until I noticed it was the thing to do when I joined the WTFDA. What's the point if you move to an area that's known for tropo? There's no challenge in doing that. As DXers, we all know there are many factors that alter DX. I'm still trying to figure it all out. Living here in Akron, I have to consider factors that someone else may not even have to worry about. But we all know that a total log count doesn't really tell you much. It says nothing about how much time was spent DXing.

Regarding the autologgers, I use them to help me DX, but they're not my sole source of how I DX. It would seem that many people really don't know how to DX as they have just let the autologgers do everything. That's not fun in my opinion. It's all merely just a chart and map. I get more fun out of the hobby by studying the maps, rotating the antennas to wherever I think is best, manually scanning the channels myself, and ACTUALLY SEEING THE DX (particularly with ID material)!! I don't get too thrilled when I see someone post a photo of a map of the DX they captured. That's no fun... they didn't actually experience the DX.
    Andrew

My TV and FM DX Photos from Akron, Ohio...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/133179000@N04/albums

Wow, I am honored and humbled by the above posts. My trip DX would never count in any logs, due to being beyond 25 miles. It is for info purposes only.....not to mention interesting scenery along with the DX on YouTube.

Ed, I would never belittle your accomplishment. You have indeed done yeoman's work on your 795 stations. I think I am at 139, and the only way that the total can jump drastically, is when the shuffling starts to take place one year from now. Like you, I don't like the everyone-gets-a-trophy deal. ------ My contention is just that the hobby should be **fun** and not all stressed out. But that's me.

Oh BTW I made a point on the TVFMLOG a few months ago, re FM logs.... A few were grumbling about all the new LPFM/translators springing up. To those of them that keep running logs, I wrote that one would think they'd *look forward* to any additional stations....to where one wrote back something like "good point". Haha

cd

cd... I notice you're still listed at the top of the heap when it comes to tropo DX...

http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html

... 1112 miles... and I most certainly congratulate you on your achievement. I'm not sure I ever got beyond the 1K-mile tropo mark in all of my 58 years of TV DXing. Your 139 DTVs logged is waaaay better than I ever managed to do during my time in TV DX Hell (E-PA & C-NJ) where it took me 30 years to log about 100 stations... and they were analogs... much easier to receive than DTVs.

btw... Has anyone heard from Danny, lately? My last e-mail to him went unanswered... I hope he's OK.

fwiw... Back in the days when I operated my Ham Radio, away from home, I kept a separate mobile / portable log. You might consider keeping a, "Keys" log... It's always interesting to see what DX can be had from exotic locations.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Points to make, hoping not to miss anything....

(1) Chris in Poughkeepsie has eclipsed my record this year (or was it last year?), receiving---of all things---one of my locals, WSFL 19 (virtual 39). From NY State, I say that's quite a haul. WFTX near Ft Myers was seen in MA during its analog days.

(2) Danny writes me about once a month. He plans to be back. I remember that he has asked me about my RPC 4 reception this year.

(3) After Irma, the Keys are a disaster area, sad to say. Being 100 miles long, I've DXed from different spots there, each with its own unique good points/bad points. For example, WKWM 91.5 Marathon is the only Keys FM with HD, and I hate it, as it makes recording COCO/CMCK 91.7 Havana a challenge. The closer to Havana, also the stronger the IBLOCK. I enjoyed my spot at Long Key the other day (see DX Equipment) because I can make video with the sign "Long Key" right there. (Go to library if YouTube takes too long---and bring headphones.)

(4) I had read somewhere (correct me if u must) that not only is there a 25 mile radius, but also something like "you must also have been able from home, under the same current conditions, to get the same reception." Well for crying out loud, how is that possible, when so many 99-, 100-, and 250-watt FM is out there? BTW one of my DTV's (WPMF 38) can only be received by driving closer to the antenna farm 20 miles east; I've never seen it as a DTV at home---only as analog. So...[shrug]

I hope to have my antennas back up soon.

cd

1... Yup, you're right... Had to go back a few pages to find it but Chris has WSFL at 1150 mi... Congrats to Chris. Come to think of it... Wasn't there a DXer in Mexico (not Fernando) who logged a tropo DTV at the farthest distance, yet?

2... Tell Danny I said hello the next time you hear from him.

3... Since none of us in KY know how to read we don't have a Library.

4... The, "you must also have been able from home, under the same current conditions, to get the same reception." seems a bit odd to me, too.

73, Ed NN2E
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Jeff Foxworthy

^ Dunno about anyone in Mexico who beat Chris. It'd be interesting to find out. If he is a WTFDA member, we would have known, I'd think. (Gargadon?) The Gulf can certainly do good things for DX---just ask the guy on the boat with his Clear TV Key....

cd

San Nicolas de los Garza, Nuevo León, México

Hello everyone. My best record is WJXT (42/4) from Jacksonville, Fl. At a distance of 1,184.13 miles from my home in San Nicolás de los Garza, N.L., Mexico. I do not know if someone has registered any DTV of greater distance.
    I also received: WJCT (7/7) and WJXX (10/25).

Very Good, Mc.art. Congratulations. Thank you for checking in.

I found your thread...

http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.p...rza-N-L-Mexico

... In the, "Got Digital TV DX?" section of the forum.

I, also, have seen WJXT at 'only' 602 miles. :-)

73, Ed NN2E
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Jeff Foxworthy

OK then---McArt , the Fernando García of DTV. Congratulations!

I don't know why I didn't notice this. My fault! I even replied. Mr. Monk strikes again....

cd

Ed, cd, I think the original idea of the "you must be able to have heard from home..." may have presumed ( not unreasonably back then in many parts of the country ) that anything you could hear 15 miles away, you could hear at home. But that was before translators and LP's. And actually in this area, except for translators and LP's it's still mostly true.

My son lives a bit less than 25 miles W of here and a car radio bandscan doesn't differ too much other than LP's and translators. What does differ is the ability to null the Phila locals and their IBOC hiss using a directional antenna.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Onkyo T450RDS; 4) Tecsun PL-310;
    Sony XDR-S3; Sony ICF2010; all w/ APS-9B @ 15';
    Sony ICF2010 barefoot w/ whip

Thread Information