Thread: 1210 KUBR San Juan TX - phone number digit mix-up or my bad Spanish?

Default 1210 KUBR San Juan TX - phone number digit mix-up or my bad Spanish?

1210 KUBR TX SanJuan for sure. Been chasing a Spanish-language station, suspecting Mexico or a US station with Mexican format. Early Nov 14, just after midnight, nailed a mention of "Radio Nueva" and a phone number. On the clip without a clear ID the number does come across, and clearly IMO, as 956-781-55222. I swear I hear "dos dos dos" instead of dos ocho". KUBR's number is 956-781-5528 and the last four digits are clear enough in the second clip. Both clips are attached. I am curious if I am not hearing the last few digits correctly or if the announcer really did end it with 55222.

I attach a third clip. There is some Spanish talk followed by an accordion intro into some music. Announcer MIGHT be the same, but I am not sure, and I've actually had a couple stations in Spanish here on my wsw antenna. Curious if any of the talk is IDable.

Web site says the station name is "La Nueva Radio Cristiana". That's not quite how I heard the ID, but the phone number clinches it. It's listed as 10K day and 5K night power. No reason to presume it's on day power and/or pattern unless someone closer to the scene can make that observation on perhaps a routine basis.
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Hi Saul,

In the 0031 clip the number is (956) 781-5528 at 01:05.

The 2326 clip has "aquí en McAllen" at 00:28.

Based on the above and Christian talk content, the station must be KUBR.

Jon

Funny how I repeatedly heard 55222 ... but I don't even have nursery school-level Spanish.
    Thanks, Jon. Indeed, no question ... my query really was just to see if my ears were indeed fooling me on those numbers. Guess they were LOL.
    No question from the two resolved clips. It's KUBR. Also explains why I'm not hearing a Mexican anthem there at either 0100 or 0700 eastern time ...
    Now to keep listening - I think there's more to be mined on 1210 in Spanish-language stuff.
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

^ Well if it is any help, WNMA 1210 here is running *some* sports talk (not a lot) + music EE/SS AC which I suppose is filler. They lost ESPN Deportes to WMYM 990, which went to 7500 watts and moved COL to Kendall, co-owned with the Actualidad 1020 and 1040; the 1020 (now Boynton Beach) just came on in the last 2 weeks, I believe. The 1040 COL is now Miami and running 50k day and 5 k nights---but it sure sounds like day power at night, as I can hardly null the thing.

Just a heads up.

cd

Appreciate the heads up Chris. listener heads must be spinning figuring all that out.
    Saul Chernos
    Burnt River ON

Quote Originally Posted by Saul View Post
    Appreciate the heads up Chris. listener heads must be spinning figuring all that out.
    Word on another board was that Actualidad did everything smoothly and rather quickly!

Actualidad also owns WURN-FM 107.1 Key Largo "Exitos." I don't think there's an FM translator frequency available for their AM's. For a very brief time, 107.1 ran HD with HD2 (I assume) running Actualidad AM.

cd

Thread Information