Thread: WKLG 102.1: Can someone 'splain?

Default WKLG 102.1: Can someone 'splain?

As you know, I have 100kW WKLG "Star 102" as a semi local.

For the life of me, I have no clue as to how this commercial station makes money. Their website www.wklginc.com mentions little about the station, but rather other projects going on. They run a format that I guess is called "indie rock". A few months ago I listened painfully for about 30 minutes, jotted down lyrics, and found out the name of the songs. Not only do I not know any of the songs---but only one *artist* had I heard about! It runs like a jukebox---no DJ's. The only non-music I hear is the dull ID & maybe, just maybe, 3 minutes of commercials per hour, and maybe a third of *those* are for the same place!

They have had long periods of being off the air---and when they return, it acts as if nothing happened.

As you also know, I am not in the radio biz. How in the world does this station remain afloat financially? This has to be IMO the biggest waste of 100,000 watts I know. I don't know anyone who listens to this thing either. Don't expect them ever in the ratings, or to play Christmas music when it's time.

I am just curious if somebody can explain it to me. 102.1 is a fantastic DX spot, when they aren't puttering around on air.

BTW someone did try to explain to me how they survive---but I guess I didn't understand. As to serving the public interest, I just don't see it; they can do their li'l side projects without cluttering up the FM band.

cd

Good question, cd... Have you looked into the station ownership? Maybe, it's a tax write-off for some business group? Perhaps, some other ulterior motive?

I can think of one, now, defunct (I haven't heard a peep out of it in years) radio 'network' that had to do some quasi-legal financing tricks just to stay afloat for as long as it did. It was so awful only the, "Kool-Aide drinkers" listened to it.

There's another, well known, cable network that is consistently in the ratings toilet, trailing re-runs of old 60s sit-coms, yet, it remains 'on air.' I suspect money is being shoveled in the back door, by folks more interested in spreading an ideology than turning a profit.

How long do you think NPR (Narcissistic Pants-wetter Radio) would survive without our tax dollars propping it up?

Things are not always as they appear.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Thread Information