Thread: Antenna Mast Ideas

Default Antenna Mast Ideas

Ok guys I could use some advice, I have repaired my FM6 and got it ready to install. problem is I can not put it back onto the roof, so I will need some type of mast about 20' I'm thinking and it will need to be anchored at the base and then to the house below the gutter can. Ideas???

jcmusic, I have a FM-6 on two metallic emt conduit that I bought at Lowe's that is commonly used as fence poles. I have two of them connected together and it works fine for me. Here is the link to the type of poles that I got. https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...ic+emt+conduit I used pole clamps to clamp the bottom pole to the pole on my fence in the yard. PS, I posted a comment for you on your post in the New? Introduce Yourself section.

Jay, just like Mike (amfmtvdtvbrla), I use EMT (metal conduit) for antenna masts. Lowes and HD both sell antenna mast brackets/mounts that serve as *stand offs* from the wall.

Here's the link to the ones at Home Depot - https://goo.gl/ekqA64

At the ground, IF you don't have a solid surface to sit the EMT on such as concrete, deck lumber or asphalt, you can get a single stepping stone (paver) and put that on the ground where the mast needs to sit.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Ok thanks guys you have given my a couple ideas, I am thinking of fitting a couple pieces of EMT into my existing fence pole since it is already anchored down in concrete and not gonna move. Just have to see if I can get one into another? The other Idea would be to use my tri pod mount on the flat of my carport and weight it down real good, either way it makes my RG6 run longer than now. I was trying to avoid this but may not be able to.

Update: Ok guys I got the antenna mounted on the flat part of the roof yesterday using the tri pod mount. Signal is clean and strong now to just get the rotor put up once it arrives. I also need to ground the mast and cable, any advice on what's best?

Antenna & mast grounding, per the NEC code...

http://dennysantennaservice.com/1171010.html
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Ok Jim,
    Thanks for link, got it done working very well to this point. Have not started DXing yet.

I have a question about the rotor, Ok I have the mast and cable grounded. Do I need to ground the rotor also or does it become a part of the mast grounding?

Rotor is secured to the mast, so it all becomes one set of conductive surface.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ok that's what I thought just want to affirm that, thanks Jim.

Thread Information