Thread: Question about the use of RDS in Central America & the Caribbean islands

Default Question about the use of RDS in Central America & the Caribbean islands

Does anyone have any ideas how a person goes about *connecting* with radio enthusiasts/hobbyists that live in the larger cities that are located in Central America and the Caribbean islands?

I am the editor for the Central American and Caribbean FM listings in the WTFDA FM database. I would like to improve the information for the use of RDS in those areas. I'm not certain its possible. I am certain Central American radio stations in Cd. Guatemala, Tegucigalpa, San José, Managua, Cd. Panamá use RDS, but its hard to confirm unless a dxer has a good Es opening to one of those areas. Likewise for Caribbean islands. And I know there has got to be radio listeners in those areas that are interested in the use of RDS. But I haven't figured out how to find them.

I read information recently from the CIA's latest World Fact Book (2016) about current internet usage in Central America. I think access to the internet is a key to locating someone that is interested in the use of FM RDS/RDBS and their willingness to share their city or location band-scan information.

This is the percentage of current internet usage in Central American countries, as of 2016:

Belize 44.6% (157,735 users)
    Costa Rica 66% (3,217,277)
    El Salvador 29% (1,785,254)
    Guatemala 34.5% (5,241,952)
    Honduras 30% (2,667,978)
    Nicaragua 24.6% (1,466,152)
    Panamá 54% (2,000,833)

...and select Caribbean locations:

Cuba 38.8% (4,334,022)
    Dominican Republic 61.3% (6,504,998)
    Haiti 12.2% (1,282,686)
    Jamaica 45% (1,336,653)

Any ideas on how to locate radio hobbyists in those areas?
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 01-16-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Corrected, updated information
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

I would like to know myself, if for no other reason than to trade airchecks (especially NTSC video).

Jim, I don't do social media, outside of contacting others' YouTube pages of DX from the areas you mention.

If you contact local radio and TV stations' chief engineers, they might be able to help, or even be interested in joining WTFDA, if proper info is sent to them.

I would give a word of warning.... Back in the 1970s I wrote a station in the Caribbean and explained my interests. I cannot prove it, but something told me that the station announced my name and address over the air. A female wrote me from a nearby island, and started asking me for things. I promised I would send a tape recorder, and it turned out to be a big mistake. It came to a head, when I was at my job (I was 18 at the time) and someone from that Island came to our house, and told my mother, "we're here for the tape recorder." I believe I really would have mailed it, but Mom told me to cease and desist.

Do these things still happen in 2018? Why not? But nowadays you don't necessarily have to give out your home address!

cd

Quote Originally Posted by cd637299 View Post
    If you contact local radio and TV stations' chief engineers, they might be able to help, or even be interested in joining WTFDA, if proper info is sent to them.
    I won't and don't have the time to contact INDIVIDUAL radio station engineers. MOST won't reply. That procedure has been tested. AND between ALL the countries involved, we are talking several thousand stations. Contacting them individually isn't going to happen. As a side note, several years ago I had contacted a college student in Cd. Guatemala that was interested in radio and RDS (an aspiring dxer without the right equipment). He told me in an email that he would do a complete bandscan of Cd. Guatemala and its environs for US $250 pre-paid. Uhhhhh.....NO.

And then I found this website, but don't know if it can take me anywhere....

https://lagalenadelsur.wordpress.com...eco-guatemala/
    Last edited by Jim Thomas; 01-16-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: New info
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

Ozark Mountain DTV dxing Daredevil

Dx Equipment - AntennaCraft MXU59 UHF antenna & homebrew version of AntennaCraft Y10-7-13 VHF antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Winegard HDP-269 12dB pre-amp; a Zenith DTT901 converter box & a Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.

Thread Information