Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL 4: FM DX Pests

Default POLL 4: FM DX Pests

Es or MS - or both.

I'll have to check my logs to see what mine are for Es. For Ms it's hands-down WLPT-GA-88.3.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Onkyo T450RDS; 4) Tecsun PL-310;
    Sony XDR-S3; Sony ICF2010; all w/ APS-9B @ 15';
    Sony ICF2010 barefoot w/ whip

Default FM DX pests

Es: 1) WAYJ-88.7-FL; 2) KUHF-88.7-TX; 3) KRVS-88.7-LA

This surprised me as I'd have never guessed that all 3 of my most-frequent Es visitors would be on the same frequency. Honorable mention to KDKD-95.3-MO.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Onkyo T450RDS; 4) Tecsun PL-310;
    Sony XDR-S3; Sony ICF2010; all w/ APS-9B @ 15';
    Sony ICF2010 barefoot w/ whip

Dave-OR Guest

Default Ms and Es pests...

Depends on the frequency, of course. But here we go. If I leave it on a single frequency overnight, I am almost guaranteed to hear one of these.

91.7 - KEMC Billings (RDS)
    92.1 - KFRZ Green River WY (Ditto)
    92.5 - KTHQ Eagar, AZ (MAN they run a lot of ads!)
    93.3 - Tie - Both "Channel 93.3"s - Ft Collins CO and San Diego
    97.3 - KSON San Diego
    98.9 - "Blazin 98.9" Tijuana or KKPR "Power 99"
    100.1 - CBRL Lethbridge AB (DUH - my Au "pest" as well!)
    102.5 - KNIX Phoenix (Again, RDS)

I haven't DX'ed Es enough to have anything I'd consider a "pest". But I do have to say that I've heard enough Western Kansas radio to last a lifetime. No offense to anyone who lives in Colby, Garden City, Liberal, Dodge City, blah blah blah. :-)

I DX 93.9 more than any other FM frequency as it's one of the clearest here. I'm recording on 93.9 to the north regularly for meteors and it's about an even tie with KIAI Mason City, IA at 947 miles, CIDR Windsor, ON at 834 miles, WAVC Mio, MI at 994 miles each id'ed 3 times in the last week. In the last 3 days I've only had a total of 3 id's and they are all WAVC. I've also had 1 id each from KJMK Webb City/Joplin, MO 650 miles, WLWD Columbus, OH 772 miles, and WRRR St Marys, WV 689 miles. None via RDS.
    For this frequency on Es, WAVC Mio, MI was in several times this summer, CKKL "Bob FM" Ottawa at 1191 miles and WKXZ Norwich, NY at 1039 miles seem to hog the frequency in openings to the northeast. But the most consistent and always seemed to show on openings to the west is KSWN McCook, NE at 1041 miles which is likely in there on some of the Ms burns too.
    The true pest is WMTM Moultrie, GA at 177 miles east of me often creeping in there even when nulled with the antenna. WRXW Pearl/Jackson, MS at 228 miles give me minimal trouble on this freq but is usually there if I point northwest.

XHAAA-93.1 is probably #1. Call letters are rather appropriate for Pest #1, eh?

Other big pests: Miami-93.1 (OK, maybe that's because I usually use 93.1 as my bellweather "warning" frequency)

WJIS-88.1

KTEX-100.3 (How did THAT get on here??)

KSII-93.1

XHCAO-89.1
    "I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires" - Susan B. Anthony

IF VEGETARIANS EAT vegetables, then what do humanitarians eat?

I guess I cannot really ID one; I don't get any really distant stations these days. I used to get stations from greater distances (Tulsa, KC, Topeka, St Louis, Little Rock) from Springfield than I do now. 20 years ago, at least in Springfield, there were not so many low power stations and translators. They're just everywhere, cluttering up the band. My DX-440 is great for AM, simply great. So I would say those are my pests. But for FM it is as rotten as it is good for AM. Car radio, even the stereo system works better. I think if I had a nicer set-up I could do better. But I do miss being able to scan a 250 mile radius and getting several stations more than 100 miles away.

Haven't really been ES Dxing long enough to have pests, but for tropo Ottawa stations have become pests. Many running near 100kw will come booming in when any tropo hits wiping out good ES frequencies. The worst of the bunch are CBO 91.5, CKKL 93.9, CIMF 94.9, CJMJ 100.3, CISS 105.3, CHEZ 106.1 and CKQB 106.9. Many of them get their signal out a good 80 to 90 miles across the St Lawrence valley but go well beyond 100 miles during any tropo.

Ditto Russ Edmund's 3 on 88.7 and WQST-92.5.

Default Seattle Es pests

If there's an Es opening to the south (BCN/AZ/CA) then the pests would be
    89.9 KUNM Albuqerque, NM
    91.1 XETRA Tijuana, BCN (always comes in like a local)
    91.5 KJZZ Phoenix/KFLQ ABQ NM
    91.7 XHGLX Tijuana, BCN
    95.5-KWNR Las Vegas is also starting to be a pest as well.

East openings (CO, WY, etc.)
    93.7 KAZY Cheyenne, WY
    95.1 KATC Colorado Springs, CO
    101.9 KIGN Burns, WY (I've heard this several times on openings this way)

Rotten tropo pests
    Portland, OR 91.5, 101.1, 101.9, 103.3

-crainbebo
    FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

Bumping it up with a new QTH (Yakima).
    The #1 pest now...drumroll...is KPHT Pueblo on 95.5. That is guaranteed at least once or twice a season, sometimes more.
    I also nominate most of the common San Diego FMs (96.5, 97.3, 98.1) which always show up with extremely strong signals. I'd also put 95.5 KYOT Phoenix on this list as well. Heard too many times.
    FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

Thread Information