Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Automated DTV scanning and logging web page

My autoscanner died on the 22nd... I pulled up the "Connected Devices" tab on my router & was somewhat confused when my HD HomeRun didn't show up. Power-cycled it -- it appeared in the list but still didn't scan -- took another look & it had disappeared from the router again. Right-hand LED would go out, then the left-hand would go out, then the left-hand would go red, then it would blink a few times & go green again.

To make a longer story short, the HD Homerun was in a reboot loop.

See this post on the HD HomeRun support forum:
    https://www.silicondust.com/forum/vi...?f=113&t=62920

Basically, you:
    - Download the newest HomeRun firmware.
    - Install the download on your PC.
    - Disconnect the WAN port on your router so the HomeRun can't find the Internet.
    - Run the download. It'll find your HomeRun and automatically load the current firmware.
    - Reconnect your WAN port.

The instructions say to disconnect the WAN first, then install the download. I had to do it in the other order -- it wanted to install Microsoft C++ Redistributable, and failed with Error 12007 because it couldn't find the Internet.

I'm not sure whether it's the firmware update or the fact I bought a new router, but I can now stream HD channels to my phone or tablet. Before the upgrade HD channels would pixelate badly and eventually freeze.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

I would like to know if it is possible to program the Automated DTV scanning Autologger Software to work with the Raspberry Pi 3. There are Guides on websites and Youtube videos of the HDHomeRun Tuners working on the Raspberry Pi 3. https://tvheadend.org/boards/4/topics/20429
    I was thinking that I could use a low power setup like this at a Remote DTV DX Site that I am thinking of making. I was thinking to keep it as low power as possible so that if possible I could run it on Solar Power with a Battery Backup. What do you guys think of this idea. Do you think this could work?

Probably

The scanner program itself is a Perl program and doesn't do anything exotic.
    The scanner program, however, calls hdhomerun_config, a program provided by Silicon Dust. A Linux version *is* available (I'm using it) but I'm running it on a standard PC. I'm not 100% certain hdhomerun_config will run on a Pi. If you *have* a Pi and a HD Homerun I'd just try it.

What's the current draw on a HDHomeRun? Mine runs fairly warm so I'm thinking it draws a non-trivial amount of power. Just account for that when you work on the power source.

I would also consider installing something like this so if something locks up you can restart it without a trip to the site.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 running an HDHR tuner as a portable setup. I have it on a drone to see if I can get DX 400 ft in the air. It works fine, but my range was nothing special. If you want I can send you more info on using RPI 3 as an Autologger.
    Mike
    Mike Glass N9BNN
    Lebanon, IN
    EM69

Mike, I have no intention of trying drone DXing but I'm very curious about the details. (particularly, how you powered the Pi and HDHR and what kind of antenna you used)
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

Hi Doug,

The HDHR tuners and the Pi both run on 5vdc making a single power source much easier. I purchased a lithium ion 5v USB battery from Amazon that has two USB ports. The Pi has a small USB port (like cameras) that I could use to connect to the battery. I purchased from eBay several power cords that have round plugs to fit the HDHR power connection and plug in to the other USB port on the battery.

I attached the Pi and the HDHR tuner to the bottom of the drone with the battery sharing space with the drone battery in the cargo bay. I took a Winegard amplified flat antenna, removed the amplifier (also 5vdc) and attached to a simple 300 ohm twin lead UHF dipole that is allowed to dangle 2 feet below the drone when flying. I plugged the power injector for the preamp into one of the Pi USB ports. Also, I had to make the Pi a WiFi hot spot so my laptop could operate the Pi remotely.

The set up worked as planned, except the reception was not that impressive. My 10' dish did better at 30' AGL than the drone Autologger did at 400 feet. I am wondering if the electric motors and controls on the drone cause interference. I tried it only twice last month and will try again as the weather gets better.

I will try to attach a picture to show the setup.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0421.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1,013.8 KB 
ID:	20062
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0420.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	996.7 KB 
ID:	20063  
    Last edited by mikegmach1; 03-18-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Typo
    Mike Glass N9BNN
    Lebanon, IN
    EM69

Quote Originally Posted by w9wi View Post

I would also consider installing something like this so if something locks up you can restart it without a trip to the site.
    I have been using the 2 outlet version of this at Milford. It worked great until I replaced the router. Now it can't log in to Google Hangouts which it uses to communicate remotely.
    Mike Glass N9BNN
    Lebanon, IN
    EM69

As for power requirements this is what I see. The Pi 3 requires 2-2.5 amps, the HDHR about 1 amp, and a small 5v preamp about 0.5 amps, or 4 amps total. That does not include something to connect to the cell phone data network. You will need at least a 20 watt 5vdc solar panel just to run it in the daytime. Since you need to charge the battery as well, I would think a 30-40 watt panel would be needed. Those panels are big as a card table and aren't cheap!

Mike
    Mike Glass N9BNN
    Lebanon, IN
    EM69

Very interesting!

Is there a camera on that drone?

Drones usually use two of the three unlicensed bands -- 915MHz, 2400MHz, 5000-somethingMHz. One band for control, another to link video back down to the ground. I would not be surprised if a 915MHz link overloaded the HDHR. I would think a decent LTE filter would help, assuming the drone can handle the extra weight. There is of course indeed quite a bit of electronics in the thing too so that could be a source of interference. (maybe you let the antenna hang a bit lower?)

Didn't realize a Pi drew *that* much current! I have a Pi 1 and something newer. The charger for an old Blackberry handles the Pi 1 just fine. Clearly solar-powering one of these is not trivial. I guess the other thing I'd worry about is antenna rotation. You *could* just use an omnidirectional antenna but that kinda negates much of the point of a remote site.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66

Great project with the Raspberry PI 3 & HDHR tuner on a drone. I hope you can find out the cause of low signal reception. Maybe the drone is having too much shaking & movement to get a good DTV signal lock. But at 400 feet does the drone need to be still to get a DTV signal lock with the drone & signal at line of sight level?

Thread Information