View Poll Results: Is DTV DXing As Enjoyable as Analog TV DXing?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Love it! Thumbs up!

6 17.65%
  • More Enjoyable

5 14.71%
  • About the Same

8 23.53%
  • Less enjoyable

12 35.29%
  • I hate it! Thumbs down!

3 8.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is DTV DXing As Enjoyable as Analog TV DXing?

Default Is DTV DXing As Enjoyable as Analog TV DXing?

Now that you've been doing it for a few years, what do you think?
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

I credit DTV with my renewed interest in TV DXing. With over 1000 analog stations in the book things were getting kinda slow. It's nice to have some new ones to look for on DTV.
    Now, if I can just get my new / repaired / modified antennas back on the tower...
    73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds

I'm just not a fan. It disgusts me when I have a quite watchable picture on analog and yet the station can't decode on digital. I have the Accurian, Samsung DTB-H260F, Zenith DTT901, and Insignia set top boxes, as well as the built in tuner for my JVC HD52F987 TV. The farthest DTV signal I have snagged to date has been Memphis, which is around 180 miles southwest. I can catch two of the Huntsville, AL DTVs most anytime at about 75 miles south, but the other Huntsville stations only make it around 25% of the time, at best. Jackson, TN at about 70 miles west decodes only 15% of the time. Not a peep of any DTVs from Birmingham AL, which is around 160 miles south. Also not a peep from Paducah KY, close to Ed's stomping grounds. As my signature shows, I have a CM 8 bay up right now, but it is doing a somewhat worse job than the Winegard 9095 it replaced. Think I'm going to try the AntennasDirect 91XG (or XG91, depending on which website you visit).

I voted less enjoyable, mainly due to the fact that I have yet to catch anything beyond 120 miles, and I think analog TV & FM at the same time & area goes wayyyy beyond.

cd

I agree, DTV DXing is more challenging. There were several analog stations I could see on a daily basis that are now only seen occasionally on DTV.
    KFVS 12 (DT 57) Cape Girardeau, MO. is running promos warning viewers that there may be loss of signal in some areas when they switch to DTV on channel 12. They'll go from 316 KW analog to 6.8 KW digital. There's gonna be Hell to pay when grandma can't watch her Soaps so, I suspect there will be a power increase for some DTV stations in the future.
    73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    Last edited by NN2E; 05-31-2009 at 12:41 PM.

ES5NHC Guest

I as a matter of fact do enjoy DTV DXing even more... If you're finally able to lock into the station, you can have good quality picture with full ID. Honestly, I love it... Analog TV is history for me.

KA9UVY Guest

I think that the PSIP info can give a positive ID is a great improvement over analog. Since I only count stations here that I photograph or screen capture. I cannot begin to count the hours spent watching some lousy program only to have the top of the hour fade come by or the miniature, transparent ID slide keep me from catching one. Now with DTV if the band opens into an area I can grab several stations within a single hour.
    One more thing... once the analogs are all out of the way even weak DTV will lock easier.

My vote is less enjoyable. On the other hand, I've learned to accept it for what it is and to log as many DTVs as possible. DTV, however, is not my major concern for the future of TV DXing. White-space devices on VHF and UHF and new LPTVs on low VHF might be a bigger challenge to DXing.
    Danny
    Shreveport, LA
    Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
    Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
    TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
    My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
    More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

All in all, I would say that the frustration involved with getting a DTV signal outweighs the very real appealing attributes of DTV DX, particularly perfect picture and sound "popping in", and the universal use of PSIP so you are almost always able to identify a DTV station if you can get it to "lock".

One thing that is true - after 30 years, one really could get bored with yet another relog of WCIU by trop and WEDU by skip (with maybe the first DX of the season still being exciting). I don't think I would have really gotten back into dedicated TV DX if it were not for DTV (yet, in the 3 1/2 years of having DTV capability, I've added more new analogs to my log than digitals!).

I would certainly say that those much younger than I have missed a great thing in analog TV DX (Myself, I missed out on DXing on yet-unoccupied channels, DXing in the afternoon hiatus, test patterns with big call letters, and the peak of sunspot cycle 19).

But, as for the claim that DTV "cannot be DXed", or that DTV DX is too restrictive to be enjoyable, consider this:
    Think of a "new" kind of broadcasting that produces excellent signal quality when DX does come in, but broadcasts on frequencies that are not usually affected by ionospheric skip, requires the signal strength be above a certain threshold, and offers no chance of IDing a station if it's signal is not the strongest station on it's frequency at your RF input. Am I describing DTV? No! All of this is true of FM (in comparsion to AM radio).
    Needless to say, there are a ton of people on this forum who would disagree that FM DXing is impossible or cannot be enjoyed.

So, enjoy DTV DX, while you target the almost empty band I for LPTVs and exotic real DX!
    Last edited by Robert Grant; 06-06-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: fixed wrong preposition

LMolineux Guest

Robert,

Yeah the thrill for a while will be the LP TV stations in the event with Analog being shut-down in just 6 days now we will be surely be having some sort of fun trying to E-Skip or Trop these LP Analogs, I often wonder about DTV DX'ing also with the Analog Shut-down as far as us who have outdoor antenna's and who have them high enough as to if problems will occure with 2 stations with PSIP fighting for the same Virtual Channel yet working off of Physical Channel spot. I just wish that there would be a way to shut-down the PSIP feature and just keep it on its Physical Channel.

Thread Information