Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Pioneer tuner - multipath jacks?

Default Vintage Pioneer tuner - multipath jacks?

Just picked up a vintage (1970's) Pioneer TX-8100, works great, but on the back panel, next to the audio output jacks are two labeled FM MULTIPATH - VERT and HORIZ. THey are RCA audio jacks and there is some audio there, but weak.

Ideas on what they are for?

Will upload a picture shortly.

Stellar Labs 4 element yagi, Stellar Labs halo omni directional loop, Kenwood KT591 tuner with 110khz Murata IF filters, Sansui G-5700 tuner/amp.

These might be for an oscilloscope?

" ... Fixed and variable pairs of output jacks are centrally located next to a pair of
    "multipath" output jacks which may be connected to the vertical and horizontal inputs of any oscilloscope for
    observation of multipath effects during antenna orientation... "

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/TX-9800review.pdf

C'mon, there must be some old timers on here that know!
    Last edited by John Wilke K9RZZ; 09-11-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    Stellar Labs 4 element yagi, Stellar Labs halo omni directional loop, Kenwood KT591 tuner with 110khz Murata IF filters, Sansui G-5700 tuner/amp.

pjdyer Guest

From this http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/TX-8100.html I'd guess that they're for connecting to an oscilloscope to adjust the antenna heading for minimal phase shift. My TM-1001 has a meter labeled "multipath" which quit working when I bypassed its circuitry with an outboard 12-vdc power supply in early 1989 when the 10-year old inboard one failed (and replacing electrolytics didn't fix it).
    http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/images/TM1001SC.gif (never cleaned up)

73, Pat - WA5IYX

Well, I've got a scope ... I'll hook it up sometime and play with it.

Three ceramic filters in this 17lb beastie ... SFE10.7MA 280 kHz

I'll put in some new 110khz Muratas

Four gangs on this variable capacitor, although one is slightly different that the others, so prob. just three count.

Oh, and you might be asking: "How much did you pay for this tuner?"

Ten bucks.

I'm not saying where, but I've been looking around for a while, here and there.

This one went for $250 new in 1975, so it was mid-range, but a nice one. It's built solid, weighs 17lbs. I've
    had it on for 3 hours and it's quite stable.

We'll see how she hears with some new filters installed.
    Last edited by John Wilke K9RZZ; 09-11-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Update: I have the three filters swapped out to 110khz ... WHOA!

It's too bad that it doesn't have a digital readout because this thing can HEAR!

By the way, if you get a Conrad RDS Manager you can plug it into one of those multipath jacks and it ought to work good. My old Sony 5130 had those.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Hmmm ... interesting.

Okay, video of this tuner doing a great job of picking up Canada - 340miles via tropo. My other tuner's couldn't hack it, but this old girl got it done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFXMCsCkp6s

Exclamation Vintage Pioneer tuner - multipath jacks?

John,

I would, say, they are Antenna input jacks. One for a Vert. ant, the other horz. ! In older equipment, they used to use RCA jacks, for the antenna connections..

Gary H.

I just watched the YouTube & commented....Whoooooooooooo!

cd

Thread Information