Thread: Hot 97 Boston Heard on 87.7

Default Hot 97 Boston Heard on 87.7

I just ran across Hot 97 Boston on 87.7. I live 15 miles south of Boston, and the signal was quite strong. I do not know when it came on as I don't usually monitor down there. It has about two months since I did a spectrum sweep of 54-88MHz, but whenever I did, this frequency did not show.
    Last edited by ALLANDUNN; 12-13-2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Typo
    Allan Dunn, K1UCY

Lynn Guest

How could HOT 97 be on 87.7? Is it just very powerful?

To compare, when my antenna is maxed, all I pick up is WAVA 105.1 on my ENTIRE FM band. Is it the same sorta thing with HOT 97 vs. 87.7?

I am told by others they had been on 97.7 from Dorchester, I believe. This would be cochannel with WKAF whose transmitter is on Great Blue Hill in Milton. So they apparently had moved to 97.5. With Channel 6 no longer active from Tiverton, RI, I guess they figured some FM tuners would reach down to 87.7

The signal strength was very strong on Saturday evening, but on Monday they were very weak. Maybe they have an amplifier they use at certain time. I don't really know that.
    Allan Dunn, K1UCY

Quote Originally Posted by ALLANDUNN View Post
    I am told by others they had been on 97.7 from Dorchester, I believe. This would be cochannel with WKAF whose transmitter is on Great Blue Hill in Milton. So they apparently had moved to 97.5. With Channel 6 no longer active from Tiverton, RI, I guess they figured some FM tuners would reach down to 87.7

The signal strength was very strong on Saturday evening, but on Monday they were very weak. Maybe they have an amplifier they use at certain time. I don't really know that.
    Some of the people involved with it used to work on WBOT, Hot 97.7. This pirate was never on 97.7 itself. They first put a website up promoting that they were going to be on 97.1. When they actually came on the air, it was on 97.5, then later moved to 87.7.
    Jeff Lehmann - N1ZZN
    Hanson, MA FN42NB

Ancient thread bump 7 years later! Hot 97 is back on 87.7, nice & clear north of Boston. They've been on for roughly 2 months, give or take. Since they first started pirating on 97.x, and did a bit of forced moving around, they kept the 97 ID for familiarity. They have a website, as well.
    2010 Honda Fit stock radio.
    Grundig G8 ultralight .

Thread Information