Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unid Ch A2 in Portugal

Default Unid Ch A2 in Portugal

Hi
    Tves in Venezuela has been in here for about 3 hours this evening on ch A2.
    ChA3 and A4 were also giving signals.

It then faded and a weak video signal /very weak)on 55.26 came up,speaking English.Fairly certain not Canada,around 2:20 into the clip there's a public service type announcement for using solar energy/switching off lights,almost sounds like Carribean English? Before this possibly an American programme.Just after this it faded.This was Recorded on an AOR 5000 receiver in narrowish FM mode.

Just before this there was a very wide messy carrier sweeping/staggering between 55.249 and 55.250 MHz.

Any ideas most welcome.

Regards,

Hugh

I am as curious as you are, Hugh! Because I'm at work, and it's hard to hear well, I will leave it to the experts.

Trinidad's TTT ch 2 is no longer in operation, so that's out. I can only think of 3 possibilities with Caribbean English:

(1) Jamaica---I believe that Love TV uses ch 2, and they have a website for radio, which should be co-owned: www.lovefm.org
    (2) St. Kitts---but I doubt this one. There's a very VERY weak ch 2 repeater of ZIZ TV ch 5 according to Hepburn, I think. Their website is www.zizonline.com
    (3) Guyana??---I do believe ch 2 in Georgetown may still be operating. Googling led me to a Yellow Pages Guyana site, and here is the e-mail: tv2@solutions2000.net Also, Guyana is very close to Venezuela.

Wish I knew more. Hope to listen when I get home. If anyone else can help, that would be great, because I am stumped.

cd

I was looking at Bill Hepburn's pages at www.dxinfocentre.com , and found other ch 2's in Anguilla and Grenada. His listings for Guyana say "no regular-power stations" on 2-6 there. There is a GWTV 2 in Guyana, but this may be cable only.

It *does* sound like a kind of Islamic chant around the 1:20 to 1:30 mark (I believe there are quite a few Muslims in Guyana), but aside from that, I have not much else to go by. Sorry!

cd

Thanks for that,I'll listen again over the next few evenings if conditions allow.
    Listening to the clip again around 0:20 sounds like "it's their philosphy" !:00 "she just seems very different,very agitated"

Around 2:00-2:08 a little jingle type id then at 2:09 "normalmente"(normally)
    spoken in Brazilian Portuguese,faded down quickly then quiet audio and at 2:20 recognisable Carribean English "By conserving energy etc etc" into this public service announcement.3:00 "Use Solar Water Heaters" Water sounding in Carribean English to me

Almost like the documentary came off Discovery channel Brazil etc.Sure all one signal.

Regards,

Hugh

Stanislav Guest

Boy, that's a tough one, between the ambient noise floor and the distortion of listening in NBFM. Best bet for IDing is the energy PSA, but there's not much to go on. Definitely Caribbean-accented (and even that's a "generic" term, as accents vary slightly from island to island -- with a clearer signal, an expert might be able to narrow it down). At the end of the PSA, there's a fade-up where she starts a sentence with "This message..." which sounds like a "tag" that identifies the company/agency that sponsors the PSA, but there's a deep fade right there, and when it comes back up slightly right at the end, it's simply too weak and distorted -- tried different filters to no avail.

Other than that, not much to go on. Earlier, there is a fairly clear bit of what sounds like a soap opera or other drama, but after the PSA there is a spot that sounds like audience laughter, so those two blurbs may not even be from the same station.

Sorry, Chris, I don't hear the "Islamic chanting" you hear.

Thanks for that,I hadn't actually noticed "This message is brought to you by" thing.
    I'd already fiddled about with various filters in the cooledit audio program
    before I posted it last night...However...gone back to that little bit,do I hear "Freetown News" right at the end,posted it below.Done a search but can't find such a paper but Freetown would indicate Jamaica...?

Any thoughts.

Cheers

Hugh

Stanislav Guest

The last word very much does sound like "news," and the previous word does seem to end in "----town," but I can't decipher anything else.

FWIW, the Thesaurus of Geographic Names doesn't show a "Freetown" in Jamaica (or anywhere else in the Caribbean) -- most of them are actually in the U.S. And IIRC, Jamaica has no lo-VHF TV stations.

@ Stanislav---what I heard was around 1:44, sorry. I coulda been mistaken.

@ Hugh---IF you caught Love TV in Jamaica, that's maybe the greatest DX catch ever....because it certainly has not been reported here, by people who are at normal Es distance from Jamaica. I myself have only caught a handful of Jamaica FMs---more via Tr than via Es, thanx to the July 1992 opening.

I don't think that ANY Jamaican TV station has been reported in the club. I'd contact Love FM, send the mp3 (or the link to this thread), and give the exact date and time in Jamaica (accounting for daylight saving, whether they have it or not).

There is also Freetown in Sierra Leone, Africa----if you caught this audio only, maybe it didn't have to be NTSC?

cd

Hi
    Forget Sierra Leone though, signal peaking westwards and this is an NTSC frequency,it would also be relatively "easy" for me to hear it here at other times of year from Africa.
    It was rumoured some years ago Sierra Leone had an E2 signal but that came to nothing.
    Possibly today will be active to the west again as well.

Regards,

Hugh

Thread Information