View Poll Results: How would you rate the Summer 2010 E-Skip Season?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Worst Ever

1 4.76%
  • Very Poor

2 9.52%
  • Poor

2 9.52%
  • Fair

3 14.29%
  • Mixed (June was Great-July was awful)

8 38.10%
  • Better than most (Be grateful for High Band Openings)

1 4.76%
  • Well Above Average

2 9.52%
  • Great! One of the best I can recall

1 4.76%
  • The best E-Skip Season ever!

0 0%
  • It's still too early to judge

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate the Summer 2010 E Season So Far?

N1LF Guest

Default How would you rate the Summer 2010 E Season So Far?

With the CQ Worldwide VHF Contest completed, it seems a good vantage point to begin to judge the 2010 Summer E's season.

Personally, I can't recall a better June with E-Skip nearly every day of the month and some maximum usable frequency days that went higher than Channel 6. On the amateur side, we had multiple days of 2 Meter skip, and some of the best (Non F-2) 6 Meter conditions that anyone can recall.

But then when the calendar page turned to July, the bottom seemed to fall out, at least here in EM63. While a few days revealed a mixture of Mexican and Canadian E-Skip on the TV low band channels, there was no hint of the fireworks we saw in June.

The CQ VHF Contest was the worst that I've participated in so far (this is only my third one). I felt like Captain Sig Hansen on "Deadliest Catch"...I kept telling myself "You just have keep grinding it out when conditions are like this". The only way to increase totals seemed to be staying in the chair, and at the mic/key.

No strategy, no science, no anticipating changing conditions to stay ahead of your competition--no just hard work. This was a great year to have big antennas and big amps...and a voice keyer.

Overall, I'd have to rate the season a 6 out of 10. High band and 2 Meter E-Skip is nothing to be ungrateful for...but I could live without another July like this.

I said "Well Above Average."

I've picked up 33 new logs on FM this summer via Es, one via Tropo (and two TVs too!), and the Es season isn't over yet (or is it? )

The thirty-three FM (and two TV) logs I got this summer (and it's not over yet?) were:

E-skip
    89.9 KUNM Albuquerque, NM on 5/4.
    89.9 KZAI Superior, AZ on 5/4.
    88.7 KNAU Flagstaff, AZ on 5/4.
    91.5 KJZZ Phoenix, AZ on 5/4.
    96.9 KMXP Phoenix, AZ on 5/4.
    88.9 KNPR Las Vegas, NV on 5/27.
    92.1 KZUA Holbrook, AZ on 6/14.
    92.1 CITI Winnipeg, MB on 6/18.
    92.1 CHMX Regina, SK on 6/18. (817 miles, closest station by E-skip)
    TV6 CBWT Winnipeg, MB on 6/18.
    88.9 K205CW (KJIL) Follett, TX (226w!!) on 6/29.
    93.7 KRAI Craig, CO on 6/29.
    96.9 KCCY Pueblo, CO on 6/29.
    101.1 KOSI Denver, CO on 6/29.
    99.5 KQMT Denver, CO on 6/29.
    95.1 KATC Colorado Springs, CO on 6/29.
    93.9 KZRD Dodge City, KS on 6/29.
    94.7 KRKS Denver, CO on 6/29.
    94.5 KSKL Scott City, KS on 6/29.
    94.5 KRFD Merino, CO on 6/29.
    95.1 KCGY Laramie, WY on 6/29.
    91.9 KUWR Laramie, WY on 6/29.
    101.1 KFNF Oberlin, KS on 6/29.
    101.9 KBTO Bottineau, ND on 7/5.
    93.7 WDAY Fargo, ND on 7/5.
    92.9 KKXL Grand Forks, ND on 7/5.
    96.1 KQHT Crookston, MN on 7/5.
    100.3 KSNR Fisher, MN on 7/5.
    95.1 KBVB Barnesville, MN on 7/5.
    103.1 CKMM Winnipeg, MB on 7/5.
    89.9 KTMH Montrose, CO on 7/5.
    105.7 KPMX Sterling, CO on 7/5.
    93.7 KIZZ Minot, ND on 7/5.
    91.1 XETRA Tijuana, BCN on 7/5.
    TV6 XETV Tijuana on 7/5.
    91.7 XHGLX Tijuana, BCN on 7/5.

TROPO
    91.9 KDNA Yakima, WA on 7/11.

If not for the huge drought between July 5th and now, it would be an A, but I'm giving it another A- right now. 33 new FMs via Es is great for the IBOC-friendly Seattle area
    FM/AM/SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!

Definitely mixed. Seems like only a few good solid openings, but lots of brief hits with low MUF to the point of not even being able to identify things because the opening didn't last.Were it not for my first Mexico logging this season, I'd be tempted to rate it even lower.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Onkyo T450RDS; 4) Tecsun PL-310;
    Sony XDR-S3; Sony ICF2010; all w/ APS-9B @ 15';
    2) Sony ICF2010 barefoot w/ whip

I would say it was "interesting". The double hop on TV was very interesting. The carriers from RTP Portugal was interesting, as well.

FM...well, not so interesting except for that unknown on 87.9 that could have been a low powered Guatemalan and the Mexican 2-hop on 89.1.

I'm talking quality here this year, not quantity. Much of the FM Es I had this year was boring and I never thought I'd say that.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

dlp85x Guest

I voted 'mixed.'

There has been absolutely no FM Es here at all since July 3 (minus 2-3 days ago when I had two FM signals in, weakly of course, via Es.) July has been a complete bust. I haven't seen anything like this since I actively DXed Es openings in 2006. July usually is usually at least 2x better as June is.

In a stark contrast, late May/June were great, way above average. As of now, I have logged 134 new FM signals in the two months. There was a six-day stretch of Es every day from 6/12-6/18 (no new logs on 6/13-14, but it was into FM.) I have never seen that before. Plus, HD radio decodes were very common this year, unlike the last two years I have had IBOC capabilities. Some of these decodes were over local IBOC signals, too. I also was able to log stations from relatively remote and rural areas in some openings that (usually) would have been impossible due to nearby major market 100kw signals coming in on the same frequencies.

Local signals this year seem to have vanished more easily than previous years to allow distant Es signals to overpower them (especially local blowtorches on 89.3, 90.5, 94.7 & 101.5.) Almost every opening I have had this year involves a start in the deep south (TX/MS/LA/AL), and then I get Miami/Tampa FMs at the end of the opening, with no Es noted between the two areas, like in the FL panhandle. There has also only been one opening noted here into the Canadian Maritimes (usually there's at least 3 in one season here.) I also had no major openings into the midwest states (most notably KS, MO, IA.) This is an area that I usually get countless openings from throughout the year. And, ironically, I had a huge opening into Wisconsin--a state that I rarely get any Es from.

So, barring any major opening from now until July 31, I would say that this season has been one of the worst observed here in FM18. However, at the same time, the season has had its own quirks and merits that make it a fairly good season at the same time.

As for some DXer's hopes for an extended Es season into August--I wouldn't count on it. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, though!
    Last edited by dlp85x; 07-20-2010 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Adding information I forgot.

Let's not forget that E-skip's first name is "Sporadic."

I'm not ready to pronounce time of death on the 2010 E-skip season, yet.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

It think it really depends on where you live. There have been only three really good Es days into the Front Range Rocky Mountain region and to the same typical region that occurs almost all the time - the southern tier states.

For Colorado, so far, it has been a poor season.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

A couple of the things about this season that've been different from past seasons are 1) the number of short relatively weak openings ( resulting in lots of days with Es, but none of them significant ) and the high proportion of openings which have occurred between 0800 and 1500 ( prime work hours ).

Most seasons there's been two or three good openings starting late afternoon and running into the evening - a rarity this time around here.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Onkyo T450RDS; 4) Tecsun PL-310;
    Sony XDR-S3; Sony ICF2010; all w/ APS-9B @ 15';
    2) Sony ICF2010 barefoot w/ whip

I rated this season "mixed", because of the poor showing of Es in July, but perhaps I'm voting too early. Last year a blowout opening occurred on 7/29 after which Es made very few showings in August. I have a feeling that we will see one of these big openings at the end of this month and that we will have an above average showing of Es in August. Making this a memorable year for me is the fact that I experienced some Es on FM on April 24th, the earliest ever, also the 2X Es observed on FM by other Dxers.

KY-Near-Cincinnati Guest

Fair at best a few OK openings.

I saw the many DX robot reports of 144 Mhz this season...non of it occurred here. I think the E-Skip cloud was right over us more than once. There was no blockbuster or memorable openings this year like when we had New York and other East Coast States in 2004. Or the time when the Dallas area over rode many of my locals two years ago.

Thread Information