Thread: Unid Spanish Station on 1710 kHz

Exclamation Unid Spanish Station on 1710 kHz

I was DXing last night and found this station on 1710 kHz that was playing spanish oriented programming and it was coming in pretty clear and strong, but the station's modulation sounded a little distorted and bass response is kinda low. I tried to use my loop antenna to null it out, but the station was not nulling out, so I know something is up. When I woke up this morning I checked back on 1710 kHz and found out Yep! It's local! But the station did not give out any call letters or location. This could be a pirate station in the 23464 area.

UPDATE: When I got home to my 23462 area, the station was still audible, but weaker than it was in the 23464 area. It's been confirmed the station is somewhere else away from my listening area in the 23464 area otherwise my signal meter
    would give me a higher reading and the loop antenna would bring it in stronger. It's somewhere else in 1/4 mile away in my listening area. It seems that this station is a pirate since it's audible in my home area using a loop antenna. So it's not a part 15 station otherwise it would have been very very weak to receive. I will be getting my home made active antenna out and listen to it for a while. If you live in the Virginia Beach area check it out. To see if you can receive it or where it's coming from.

GCC Radio Science
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Last edited by gccradioscience; 11-29-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: duplicated paragraph

Does the programming sound like it is religious ? We heard something ( in fact I have 3+ hours' of it recorded ) at the Long Beach Island (NJ ) DXpedition two weeks ago. There were intervals or preaching and music, some of which was clearly Spanish Contemporary Christian music, our bearing was South, and the modulation was better on the music than on the talk. I don't have any clips including both talk and music short enough to post here, but depending on your email capabilities I could send one to you. These files are mp3's of between 1.5 and 2.5 mb.

Or could you send me a clip ?
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Onkyo T450RDS; 4) Tecsun PL-310;
    Sony ICF2010; all w/ APS-9B @ 15';
    2) Sony ICF2010 barefoot w/ whip

Default I Have Some Clips

The station I received was being received at my house as well. But the signal was weaker. When I was at the original listening location the signal was a little stronger like around 3 on the S-Meter. I yes heard Christian music in spanish and spanish christian rock and rap music and the DJ with a echo voice. I believe the station is a unmanned station with just a satellite receiver with a FTA dish connected to a AM transmitter with no license. I even heard it in the daytime when I woke up this morning, and I said yep! It's local! Somewhere in Virginia Beach otherwise the propagation would not permitted it. I have 2 videos that I will convert the audio to mp3 when I get the time. Would you like for me to send them to you? I have 2 tracks, one recorded at night and one during the day. The sad part is that the signal is not close, its like around 1/4 mile away from my listening post in the 23464 area, but I was able to receive without the loop antenna but with 3 on the S meter. In the 23462 area the signal was weaker than normal which required the loop antenna coupled to the short wave radio G4000A.
    Last edited by gccradioscience; 11-29-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks for the info. this sounds like it may be the same station. As I'm not on youtube, when you have the time to convert, I'd appreciate your posting it here.

Thanks-
    Russ Edmunds
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

The one you heard in New Jersey may have been Radio Celestial, I hear them and a French pirate where I am:
    http://www.inspiracioncelestial.com/...ticle&sid=1022

If you plug the address on that page into Google Maps you get a nice view of what looks to be a transmitter antenna:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...6,0.01929&z=16

Thanks for the suggestion. This had been raised also by one of our group last week.

We were running 1000' BOG antennas, one NNE, the other SSW, both terminated for directionality. On the North antenna, there was only French, which was presumed to be R. Soleil International in Boston. On the South antenna, there was this station. Given the directionality of these antennas, I don't believe R. Celestial was heard -- if it was even on that weekend. Also, had it been R. Celestial, given our prior years' receptions of the Lubavitcher pirate which reportedly used the same transmitter and similar location to Celestial, we wouldn't have had the periodic fading we had on this station.
    Russ Edmunds
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id

Lightbulb I was able to receive the station on my Ge SR III

This morning I tried to get the station in on the G5, but the signal was a little weak, but still audible. I used a modified Radio Shack amplified active antenna with no enclosure, and a loop antenna. I am hoping that I can get my project in a enclosure so I can take this active antenna with me on the go. Works good for LW/MW reception.

Anyways, I started to pull out the Ge Superadio III from my collection, powered it up and tuned to 1710 kHz, and the signal came in clearer and still audible than the G5, still with the noise in the apartment the signal was kinda weaker than it was in the 23464 area. Darn, I should of brought this radio this Thanksgiving to my girlfriends sisters house and the active antenna. That's ok.

You can make yourself an AM/LW antenna using the 20-280 active antenna just remove the SW 1 and 2 coils and replace them with a 470 uH and 150 uH for MW coil. For LW you will need a 2.5 mH coil. I have a 3 way switch that is connected. Leave the 2 1mH coils alone! I will be adding a extra RCA jack or 1/8 for the loop antenna I might need a 470 pF capacitor in series.
    Last edited by gccradioscience; 11-28-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Talking The Station Is What We Needed For Some People.

I was thinking about this, yeah, we need a new station here that plays gospel programming in spanish. I may not know spanish, but there is a station 1050 kHz that plays non Christian programming than the station on 1050. It's about time someone gets on the air and plays something inspirational. Truthfully, the station did let me relax and I went to sleep. When Christmas comes around and I tune this station back on, I will be amazed and will be in the Christmas spirit. Believe me, I love mexican food during the holidays, I was born in San Diego, CA, and in San Diego, there are Mexicans living there in CA and the radio station line up is different from here where I live. Virginia Beach and the rest of the 7 cities does have a population of hispanics and they listen to AM soon there will be 1 FM station for spanish speaking people soon. The DJ at the station did not cuss or did anything innappropiate, so I will classify this as a full powered part 15 AM station. Besides there is nothing up there on 1710 kHz anyways. Main reason why this station is part 15 to me is that I cannot get it in clearly and it fades out when you go farther away from it. I am happy to know that my radios are working well to receive part 15 broadcasts, now it's time to me to improve AM DX reception.

73!

GCC Radio Science
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Last edited by gccradioscience; 11-29-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Thread Information