Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I catch 660 KTNN Window Rock, Arizona ?!

Default Did I catch 660 KTNN Window Rock, Arizona ?!

It would seem I have caught it. I was hearing a country station, and I heard an ID that I SWEAR said something about the Navajo nation. And KTNN is the voice of the Navajo Nation. The songs, on quite a delay from the stream, match up. Right this second (12:37 AM Central Time) I am hearing on the radio a drum song that the stream had, and said it was Apache. This is apparently a 50Kw station, but I have never heard it. OK, while I was typing I got KTNN call letters. First ever log for me from Arizona!

Congrats on this catch... they are 50kw, but are sharply directional to the west at night. They blasted in like a local in Southern California where I used to live. I have never specifically tried for them here in Tennessee, but I doubt I'd have much luck, unless they run their daytime pattern at night for some reason (could have been the case with your log, I suppose).
    Bryce Foster - K4NBF (formerly KG6VSW)
    Hermitage, TN EM66
    www.k4nbf.com

Tuners:
    Elad FDM-S2 SDR
    Sony XDR-F1HD

Antennas:
    Innovanntenna 10 Element FM beam (primary) @35 ft
    Winegard HD-6065 (phase) @25 ft with Bolin Phase Box
    Tennadyne T2 V/UHF log periodic @ 30 ft

Great catch, Mike.
    Danny
    Shreveport, LA
    Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
    Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
    TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
    My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
    More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

Quote Originally Posted by KG6VSW View Post
    Congrats on this catch... they are 50kw, but are sharply directional to the west at night.
    Agreed, this is a nice one from a VERY tough state!

I have never specifically tried for them here in Tennessee, but I doubt I'd have much luck, unless they run their daytime pattern at night for some reason (could have been the case with your log, I suppose).
    In the past they have forgotten to go on night pattern at times, and when they do they are quite receivable here in Middle Tennessee.
    Doug Smith W9WI
    Pleasant View, TN EM66
    http://www.w9wi.com

That is a great catch for sure. I have received them only once before myself and it was quite faint.

The mountains here mess up the signals from the western part of Colorado and just about anything in Northern AZ, most of UT, NV WA, OR and N CA for me. I seem to get stations from S AZ and S CA quite well at times.

John
    ];')
    Hammarlund SP-600 JX-37
    Rycom 1307A-GR
    Tecsun PL-380
    Quantum Phaser
    30 ft/10.5 m low-noise vertical in tree.
    27 ft/8 m low noise vertical on 5 ft tripod
    27 ft/8 m low noise vertical on 13 ft/4 m tilt-over crank-up mast
    W1VLF LPF for LF/VLF & DL4YHF SpecLab for NDB's
    DX'ing Videos

I've never caught KTNN, and with Miami's 670, even 660 WFAN is near impossible. I think there is a Cuban there too.

However I *did* catch a station in Arizona back in 1989ish. With 1580 WSRF Ft. Lauderdale off the air in the wee hours for a few months, I was able to bag KNIX Tempe-Phoenix (now KMIK Radio Disney, which our Aussie member dxer2_2000 catches maybe more than any other US station). At that time, country singer Buck Owens owned it.

cd

Thanks for your comments! This was truly new ground. Conditions here last night were favorable for western stations. I got three other stations for the first time this "season," if you can still call it "this season" at this point in the year, and two were from Oklahoma City (800KHz KCQV-A Botts Network station IDed as KCQV because it that is the only Botts station at 800KhZ, and 1000KHz KTOK, for which I got a TOTH announcement during their "Coast To Coast" show broadcast). Managed to pull in 790 WMC Memphis as well on the jammed 790 slot.

Well it looks like KLTT on 670 has bagged their IBOC as I now receive KTNN clearly almost every night.

Here is a clip that I have not done anything to. Note that most of the clip is in the Navajo language. They will frequently play country music as well. Sometimes speak in english.

John
    ];')
    Hammarlund SP-600 JX-37
    Rycom 1307A-GR
    Tecsun PL-380
    Quantum Phaser
    DX'ing Videos

Thanks for posting this clip. I heard something quite similar to that, plus the country music. I did not recognize the language at first, and I thought it sounded like and east Asian language, though with the ID of the station it is clearly the Navaho language.

You will hear the Navajo as well as various native american drum songs/beats along with the Country music.

I spent a lot of time the last few sessions on 660 and 680 since I noticed that the 670 KLTT IBOC spillover stopped...hopefully for good. I have grabbed 4 new Mexican stations and made recordings of stations I only got a glimpse of when KLTT had their IBOC on. Never heard KTNN so strongly or regularly before. I can even pick it up in the Jeep on the way to work.

John
    ];')
    Hammarlund SP-600 JX-37
    Rycom 1307A-GR
    Tecsun PL-380
    Quantum Phaser
    DX'ing Videos

Thread Information