Thread: FL Keys 3/19/2011---or---uh-oh!!

Default FL Keys 3/19/2011---or---uh-oh!!

Hi

We went to the Keys for the first time in 2011 yesterday. We went all the way to Key West, so I could do some local TV fact-finding...see Digital TV section.

At Veterans Park, I noticed that they installed a new AC outlet. Before setting it all up, I decided that I best try to see if it works. Good thing I did, for the AC was shut off! (hence the uh-oh)

I decided to go back to my old place, Mile Marker 35.1 (as opposed to Vet Park's MM 40). Because no electricity, I had to use a power inverter for the Sony, and NO AMP.

The new (to me, not to Octavio) Radio Mayabeque 104.7 in Guines showed up, battling Rebelde and (likely) Mix 104.7 Naples. Not strong enough on the Sony for RDS. On the drive home, Mayabeque was strong along the 7-Mile Bridge.

Best news of all----WKWM 91.5 Marathon shut off their I-Block, clearing the way for COCO/CMCK 91.7, RDS too. 94.9 & 98.3 La Habana, not easy even from the Keys, showed up. The RDS you see are La Habana.

***Sigh*** if only Vet Park was available....I only felt like making the antenna 10 feet at 35.1.

cd

Pix here.....

Nice setup. Ive found that the XDR-F1HD works pretty good off a power inverter. Most cheap radios choke on the dirty AC that power inverters produce, unless you have a really expensive one, Ive only got a $20 one and it doesn't affect reception at all. I ran a test last summer comparing the power inverter in my car vs the wall socket in the garage and didn't notice any differences. They must do something different on the AC line compared with cheap radios.

pjdyer Guest

Nice mobile/portable setup there

It looks like some production runs of the Sony put more pushbutton labels on the buttons (or mine 2008 ones have worn off!) I had to put tape over the ones I don't use very often to prevent my accidentally activating them (use the remote if/when I need to).

73, Pat - WA5IYX

dxer2_2000 Guest

Default RE: FL Keys 3/19/2011---or---uh-oh!!

Hi Chris

That antenna would have degraded performance due to the mis-aligned antenna "halfs". I have a 12 element FM yagi like that - poor quality manufacture. A case where the drilled holes don't line up.

dxer2_2000

At Vet Park, things were better, because of AC. Actually I coulda gone 20 feet up at 35.1, but frankly I was a little sad that I couldn't use Vet Park, and I was ready to get outta there. I felt bad also, that my wife Elizabeth had to put up with this----she's much better off at the Park.

I do have an FM antenna that I'll use next time I go---I have contacted the county's Parks Dept & hope to hear from them, to see if the electricity will come back.

I have reservations at a motel in Islamorada (MM 85.1) where they are tolerant of me!

cd

Thread Information