Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hola Mexico!

Default Hola Mexico!

A couple of first time full decodes last week XHAB-DT 7.1 RF30, XHOR-DT14 RF33 in Matamoros, and one new catch XHIMT. Now from what I've seen Danny post a couple of times, XHIMT is the flagstation of Azteca Siete in DF Mexico City. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    The first pic is of XHAB DT with station call and a Univision logo superimpossed within. Somehow I thought XHAB was Televisa, but my memory banks are kinda rusty. Pics 2 and 3 are of XHIMT and pic 4 is XHOR DT.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

Mike, that is some nice DX.

As for XHAB, it is a Televisa station; but Televisa independents run programs from a variety of sources (including Televisa networks XEW, Canal Cinco, and Mexico's Galavision). That Univision logo is probably on the network feed, while the XHAB logo is supered over that.

You probably won't believe this, but I hate to always be the know-it-all jerk who bursts every TV DXer's bubble when it comes to Mexico TV DX. I pay money to Yahoo every month to keep tvdxtips.com in easy reach of TV DXers who pull in Mexico TV DX.

Every mistake that can be made about Mexico TV DX has been made by ME in the past. And I will likely make more mistakes in the future. Mexico TV is not like TV in the US. That is why I think my Mexico Primer should be read and studied by anyone who thinks he/she has a positive ID from Mexico. I, along with Pat, Christopher, Ed, Jeff Kruszka, Jeff Kadet, and others, am a graduate of the Mexico TV DX School of Hard Knocks. And if we don't continue with our post-graduate studies, we will fall behind, because Mexico TV stations and networks are constantly making changes.

The calls of Mexico networks (XEW, XHGC, XHIMT, etc) are sometimes displayed on promos over the entire network. XHFN-7 Monterrey is an Azteca-7 relayer. In addition, due to Mexico's rough terrain, TV DX from interior areas of Mexico rarely travels very far by tropo.

Mike, you are still relatively new at TV DXing; yet, you are a good DXer. So I hope you have enough backbone to continue to DX and report to the Forums - in spite of my remarks.
    Last edited by Danny; 03-30-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Danny
    Shreveport, LA
    Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
    Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
    TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
    My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
    More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

[QUOTE=Danny;17576]
    The calls of Mexico networks (XEW, XHGC, XHIMT, etc) are sometimes displayed on promos over the entire network. XHFN-7 Monterrey is an Azteca-7 relayer.
    Well first, I considered that actually. My way of thinking was, a relayer is one that rebroadcasts network programming to it's local areas, but I thought they would insert their own local ID's instead of carrying over the flagstation ID. Second, after watching the video again, I was so focused on the XHIMT promo that I didnt notice that the program aired on a ch 14! Which would eliminate the flagstaion analog ch number. Yep my goof. So what I'm really thinking is this was ch. 14 (XHOR-14) in Matamoros. Especially since I pulled in it's digital sibling.

Mike, you are still relatively new at TV DXing; yet, you are a good DXer. So I hope you have enough backbone to continue to DX and report to the Forums - in spite of my remarks.
    Danny, I've said it before, your remarks are welcomed. I'd rather be told I'm incorrect, than a congradulations on an incorrect ID. Keep up the good work.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

Good catch, Mike!

Mexican TV is Murphy's (of Murphy's Law fame) way of getting even with TV DXers. Just when you think you've got it figured out they throw you another curve.

I've got RF channels 30 and 33 on my "shopping" list. I look for them every time there is DX from Texas. I'd sure like to put a Mexican DTV in the log.

Was going through all of my old analog VHS DX tapes and found a recording of "XEFE-2," color bars with tone, test pattern. I wonder how rare that is.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Thanks Ed, yep Mexican TV is an oddball way of doing things for sure. But I love catching em. In some twisted way, I think it's that oddball way of doing things down there that keeps me interested.
    mike
    TVDXing since 7/27/09

@Ed: Could you post photos of the XEFE? If you have a YouTube thing, could you put it in motion? Would love to see it. I'm not even sure if XEFE exists OTA anymore.

Like I have said before, I enjoy getting SS TV via DX....but once I see a commercial with "COME BIEN" or "SALUD ES BELLEZA" on the screen, I know I'm in for it. (To those who have just joined, those phrases are common only on Mexican commercials.....their "gobierno" wants every viewer to know that they need to stay healthy.)

cd

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I'm still on dial-up internet so I won't live long enough to do any kind of video. Seriously, I did try downloading a video of WFTS that Pat had on YouTube. The video was 44 seconds in length and it took me 32 minutes to download. :-(

However...I'm in the process of boxing up a pile of VHS DX tapes, from the early to mid 90's, to send off and have them copied to DVDs. Remind me at some later time and I'll see if I can get you a copy with XEFE on it. Who knows, the entire NN2E analog DX collection might be available on DVDs at some point in the future. I'll just have to see what can be worked out.

One of these days I'm gonna get a camera or a cheap DVD recorder and start recording DTV DX. I just can't bring myself to treat my non-DX DVD machine like a labor camp mule by recording endless hours of DX with it.

...And how many times have we seen those "eefay" (IFE) commercials from Mexico. I've been tempted to run down there and vote. :-)

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Note, Ed....I have not had the best fortune, dubbing TV DX onto DVD. Often the "data" does not keep up. DX has to be clean, at least in color. Of course, it may depend on the brand.

I'm ol' skool.

cd

Ed, I've seen those XEFE-2 bars several times via MS and never managed to have a VCR running. Those bars would pop in here during the late morning (about 0700-1000) back in the 1990s. I haven't seen the bars or anything of XEFE in several years.

That was an odd station. One of my photos of XEFE on the Internet was recorded at about 1900 one evening. They were running a continuous ID card with music playing in the background. As that is short Es for me (under 500 miles), the signals from XEFE never hung around very long. Nevertheless, I was left with the impression (after a few minutes) that the ID card was not going down anytime soon.

With the US analogs off, I now see XEFB Monterrey via tropo sometimes. However, XEFE has never shown up here.

I would say your XEFE bars video is worth its weight in DX gold.
    Danny
    Shreveport, LA
    Mexico/Latin America TV DX ID Tips http://www.tvdxtips.com
    Submit and read DTV Stats http://www.tvdxexpo.com/dtvdxrecords.html
    TV and DTV DX Photographs http://www.tvdxexpo.com
    My Photographs of 100 Mexico TV DX Local IDs http://www.tvdxexpo.com/100mexicotvids.html
    More than 1,100 TV logs since 1994

@mp11: I take it that pics 2 & 3 were not digital....

Good work....it's been great here as well.

cd

Thread Information