Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DX in dreams

After wanting a modern multimode/multiband amateur transceiver for decades, XYL encourages me to get one, and I do. After installing it, she complains that the talking while Sooz is sleeping is keeping the baby awake. I go to CW, and XYL says the dots and dashes might wake Sooz up. I wear headphones - now the clicking of the key is too much noise.

So I ham in the short time between getting home and dinner. XYL demands I turn radio off immediately while the other is talking (she can't conceive of the idea that a ham QSO is something like a phone call).

So I get a mag mount and keep the radio in the car. For about a year, I'm chatting on 17m mobile or listening to SW BCB stations. Then the
    price of gasoline quadruples, and my commute is 60 miles each way, so we buy a hybrid. Before we buy, I check the radio to see if the hybrid electronics affects the radio - to my delight, there is no effect at all, AM broadcast stations with only a 0.1 mV/m signal sound fine. But when I try it on HF at home - there is a horrible wall of noise when driving, especially when slowing down (when the wheels are generating power for the battery), allowing through some frequencies (80m, 25m), but destroying 40, 31, 20, 17, 10, 6 and 2(!) meters.

So I go to DX FM bcb. While a very weak signal sounds fine when parked, it takes about .3 mv/m for an FM signal to get over the hybrid system.

After 332,600 miles, a software problem destroys the hybrid. We get another one used. On the replacement, AM signals weaker than about 10 mV/m are whacked, unless I am either parked, or there is a heavy rain (which oddly provides a measure of relief from the noise - sometimes).
    Comparing Sporadic-E skip to skip on the AM and shortwave bands is like comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing tropo to skip is like comparing apples and bacon cheeseburgers.

Last night, dreaming I was at my folks former house in Texas scanning their TV. As the scan completes I realize every single channel has programmed. Next thing I know I'm flipping through the channels and they're all coming up as WSIL, so I text Jim Thomas to tell him what I see, the phone goes beep as he replies.......he tells me I'm Foxtrot Oscar Sierra......and I wake up.

Funny......I never dreamed of tropo until I saw this thread for the first time yesterday!

....and I think this topic thread has been embedded with a subliminal virus that conjures DX dreams. IF you read this thread, you have been infected.

Two nights ago, I had a dream I was getting Mexico FM Es. My use of Spanish in real life is marginal, at best. In my dream, I understood fluently the Spanish I was hearing, just like speaking English. Although now, being awake, I can't remember a single thing about the context of that Es reception.
    Jim Thomas
    Springfield, MO

The human mind is a deep ocean of what the.......

Quote Originally Posted by DXseekerMO View Post
    The human mind is a deep ocean of what the.......
    The Oliver character on "Green Acres" woulda been a great DXer in his off-hours; he said that a lot!

cd

I had a dream sometime between last night and today, that I received an UnID channel 7 ABC station with CCI.
    And a possible one about an UnID station on channel 10.

Kegan

Had a dream the other night/morning, kinda realistic, where I stayed at a motel in Las Vegas, with my small TV/VCR combo in the room....

I knew about DT 2 there, and I guess I got a decode or at least a subdecode. I switched off the box and tried analog 3, but nothing---I figured 2 was too close and QRMed it...went to 4 and got lines of something trying.

That *would* be realistic, if not for the fact that Mexico switched off analog. Canada? Who knows...

cd

Thread Information