Thread: Canadian AM DX From Ancient Years Ago

Default Canadian AM DX From Ancient Years Ago

Here's 2 clips originally recorded in 1981, onto an analogue audio Radioshack Concertape. I was thrilled that I could get a Canadian AM station on my Panasonic boombox, having just traveled to Montreal that summer. Unfortunately, I don't remember the frequency, but, I do remember it was way at the end of the right side of the dial. The 1st clip begins with the end of "Physical" by Olivia Newton-John, so cute & dated! I think the DJ maybe saying good night & see you tomorrow. The next clip has a delightful musical ad for, I believe, Okeefe (sorry about the edit in the middle, technical difficulties), and some DJ patter. I've always wanted to translate these clips, but, never had the opportunity to play them for those who speak French Canadian. Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DX Grrl; 08-28-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Re-uploading mp3s.

Here are the lyrics to the song:

Celle qu'on préfère...Celle que j'préfère...C'est la O'Keefe...O'Keefe.... Celle qu'on a choisi...Ben voyons donc...C'est la O'Keefe...Ben voyons donc..Quand on prend une bière celle qu'on préfère c'est la O'Keefe...O'Keefe...C'est celle qui se prend en douceur...Ben voyons donc...

Here is the TV version of the O'Keefe ad in good Canadian French:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKy6NOcw0Jc

Enjoy!

Jon

Thank you. I was just a child then, but, managed to pick out "O'Keefe". Now I can finally see what the the rest of the jingle is.

Just a guess, but for 1981, in French, at the right side of the dial and commercial, odds are it was the now-gone CKLM-1570 in Montreal, or possibly CJRS-1510 in Sherbrooke Quebec.
    Russ Edmunds
    15 mi NW Philadelphia, PA
    WB2BJH -- Grid FN20id
    Yamaha T-80 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Yamaha T-85 & Conrad RDS Manager;
    Onkyo T450RDS; 4) Tecsun PL-310;
    Sony XDR-S3; Sony ICF2010; all w/ APS-9B @ 15';
    Sony ICF2010 barefoot w/ whip

Oh, that's too bad, and explains why I couldn't find that station a few years later. The CKLM calls seemed strangely familiar, so doing some Wikipedia research on them turned out there is no question that was the station I recorded. It's amazing the things one's subconscious remembers. Now, if only I could get that ear-worm of an O'Keefe beer jingle out of my head!
    Last edited by DX Grrl; 08-28-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Thread Information