Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: MW DX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser

Default MW DX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

** MEXICO. I am starting to hunt for XEs on MW around sunrise again; Aug 7 the storm noise level had abated unlike evenings. Besides, SW conditions are still depressed.

1570, August 7 at 1154 UT, XERF is running its `missing-persons` PSAs, hoping the missees will be listening and contact their friends and relatives in Acuña and many other places on both sides of la frontera, giving phone numbers, even a PO Box in Wáshington, Misisipí (which is just east of Natchez). Between items exclaimed ``RF`` with a faux-Morse-code sounder.

Other Mexicanish signals, mostly music, before 1200 were found on 650, 680, 990, 1010, 1020, 1040, probably IDed last fall; I had hi hopes for

1160, Aug 7 at 1158 with corrido, but no ID at hourtop, just a segué to another in KSL null, still at 1202 as fading out. Intriguing, as none of the 1160s in WRTH 2011 are in border states. Last year`s NRC AM Log does not show any US SS closer than PR and FL, too late for them, and FL is a talker, anyway (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Looking for sunrise DX from XE-land, before 1200 UT August 20, local Enid sunrise today being 1153 UT: found quite a few SS channels in the lower half of the MW band. [No TP carriers yet]

650, Aug 20 at 1202, TC as 6:02, opening farm show, mentions ``aquí en Culiacán``; trouble is, no 650 in that city, so must be relayed from:
    650 XETNT Radio 65 + FM 106.5 Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000 1,000 per Cantú,
    http://www.mexicoradiotv.com/frec_am.htm

770, Aug 20 at 1156 UT, `Los Cuarenta Principales` slogan, mentioned 104.3 FM between songs in English and then Spanish. Cantú shows the only match is:
    770 XEREV Los 40 Principales + FM 104.3 Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000 100
    so surely on day power of 5 kW already.

870, had open carrier at 1150 UT Aug 20 looping NE/SW, likely XETAR,
    870 XETAR La Voz de la Sierra Tarahumara Guachochi, Chih. 10,000 D
    while another Mexican further south was already musical. 1200 NA, but fading out before definite ID. WWL was long gone.

1040, Aug 20 at 1159 UT, ``La Primera en FM, 90.1``, Sonora mentioned. Cantú shows: 1040 XEGYS La Primera + FM 90.1 Guaymas, Son. 5,000 250
    (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, August 5 at 1222 UT in a brief hi-end MW scan noting some skywave is still showing, local KFXY is in dead air. Open carrier then goes off at 1229*. Back on as usual later in day (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Sunday August 7 at 1146 UT, strong open carrier from semi-local KOKP Perry, atop XE music; still the same at 1210, what a waste. In August, KOKP is entitled to start day power of 400 watts at 1145, ex-250 watts at night, plenty to mess up KDKA reception here (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1520, Aug 8 at 2013 UT, tuning across KOKC to find dead air, for two minutes until resumed programming. Is no one paying attention at this once-great 50 kW clear-channel station? Then checked 1580, KOKB Blackwell, which last year would run dead air for days at a time, but it was modulating. 2017 more dead air on 1520 for at least 20 seconds until JIP a commercial.

780, Aug 8 at 2014-2015 UT, KSPI Stillwater vies with KOMA for the dead-air championship, but only lasted one minute from tune-in. These were several hours before storms really did knock out power in wide areas of OK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

A squall line with lots of lightning and winds up to 95 miles per hour blew thru Garfield Country August 8, toppling lots of powerline poles, and knocking out electricity to our place at 2304 UT. It was still out 20 hours later. We lost access to off-the-air and cable TV and internet, but battery radios allowed us to try to listen to local radio. Here`s what we found first on Enid frequencies:

Off the air: 103.1, 1390, 960
    On air with open carrier only: 95.7, 107.1, 1640
    Translators/low power:
    Off the air: 88.3, 92.1
    On the air: 89.1, 91.1, 93.3, 94.3, 98.5, 104.7, 105.5

At 2314, 89.1 was off allowing KMUW Wichita to be heard again.
    100.7 had KPNC Ponca City with a storm warning, knocked off at 2312* as we listened.

Of the major local stations, there are two groups,
    Chisholm Trail Broadcasting on 1390, 1640, 95.7 and 107.1
    And Williams Broadcasting on 960, 103.1

Only KGWA 960 does local news ordinarily, so we kept monitoring for it primarily. At 2338 it was back on the air with country music instead of usual talk format, ID as KGWA and KOFM, even tho KOFM 103.1 was not really on the air and they don`t normally simulcast. A few minutes later news director `J. Curtis Huckleberry` appeared with news about the storm and power situation.

Into UT August 9 at 0008, a weak QRP signal was on 103.1, ID as KOFM, but with music, not simulcasting 960. Probably on exciter only.

KGWA continued local coverage, including winds hitting 95 miles per hour (not a tornado), OG&E says 5500 homes without power. 0020 UT went back to regular programming, Laura Ingraham, yuk.

Next check at 0032 UT:
    960 off the air again; 1390 still off
    Open carrier: 1640, 95.7, 107.1

0100 UT, KGWA still off. 0113 it`s back with L.I. 0119-0129 another storm update implying that was it until 7 am, 0129 back to L.I.

We are in the dark (literally and figuratively) all night, with no local sources of info, trying to keep cool with natural ventilation only after at 100+ degree day.

1144 UT August 9, 960 carrier is on; 1390 is back to regular ESPN programming. NEVER heard any local info on any of the CTB stations. 1640 still with open carrier (its transmitter site is considerably remote from Enid near Hennessey).

1200 UT, 95.7 KXLS with music, 1390 with ESPN, 1640 OC
    960 still OC, 103.1 off

1208 check, 960 now with music segué. 1217 J-Curt finally comes on with recap of last night`s storm info; power outages reached 10,000, but claims most of it is back now thanks to great work of OG&E crews leaving only some highly isolated areas (like us) still powerless as well as the KGWA studio. Well, KGWA is obviously not powerless: they are on the air from studio and transmitter somehow, with some backup altho it obviously did not kick in immediately and stay in.

1325 I can tell that 103.1 has a weak carrier, KOFM exciter only back.

I am less than impressed with the preparedness of local broadcast media to cover emergencies such as this (it could have been much worse, a tornado). KGWA admitted that much of the info they had came from the local newspaper, which did appear on our lawn too with no problem. We read therein that OG&E crews stopped from 1 to 6 am to get some rest, while stuff melted in our freezers. While we were at the library in the afternoon starting to compile this report, power finally came back sometime between 2000 and 2200 UT (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Aug 9 at 0314 UT, open carrier again obviously from semi-local KOKP Perry. Might have power outage somewhere along the program feed line from Stillwater, but long before the storm, August 7 before and after 1200 UT, we also caught them providing dead air to their listener (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1270, Aug 7 at 1208, several IDs as ``12-70 AM, La Voz del Pueblo``, and plug Univisión 23 noticias in DFW, apparently simulcast on the radio? Is KFLC Fort Worth, on day power of 50 kW by now, with skywave still funxioning less than a semihour after sunrise here (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1630, Aug 7 at 1205, sounds like Ray of Bob & Ray doing old-lady voice, but with organ music, hokey scripted drama, so really `Unshackled`? No, KKGM Fort Worth program schedule shows `Stories of Great Christians` for 7 am Sunday; post-sunrise skywave has kept it in vs adjacent local KFXY 1640 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 680, Aug 9 at 0307 the Jim Bohannon theme is recognized, seems to be from NE/SW. His MOR 3-hour talk show is harder and harder to find on the air; used to be on 690 KGGF. Checked here after finding 720 WGN `Extension 720` had two Republican guests on the financial situation, as Milt Rosenberg does not pretend to be fair and balanced. Thought I would give him another try since TV is powerless.

So what is the 680 JIMBO affiliate? Our first guess from that direxion is KFEQ St Joseph MO, which really doesn`t provide an adequate signal here, day or night. Jimbo`s official website http://www.jimbohannonshow.com/stati...&programID=309
    does not list by frequency, but searching by state, ``KFEQ-AM`` [sic] is on the list but at wrong time, starting at midnight, presumably meaning local CDT = 0500 UT, ``M-F``, surely meaning Tue-Sat. But KFEQ`s website
    http://www.680kfeq.com/shows/view/?fShowId=9
    confirms he is really on from 10 pm to 1 am

Thanks for posting your log. Lot to digest here. I do get KFEQ here, though the signal is never very good for me. If my memory serves me correctly, I have run into problems where the programming scheduled per the station's listing doesn't match what is on the air (and yes, when that happens I seek an on-air ID and have gotten one, only to find it does not match what is supposed to be on. I guess KFEQ is just a quirky station. KGGF 690 that you mentioned is a pest here; I can get other stations to come in at 690, that overpower KGGF, but all too often, KGGF gets in my way. Seems I had pretty good luck with Oklahoma stations during the last fall/spring season. If I were to classify it, the first half of the season for me favored stations east of me, the second half favored those to the west.

Default MW DX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser, Aug 22-28, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

** MEXICO. 770, Aug 22 at 1159, ``Los Cuarenta Principales`` slogan and 5:58 TC, i.e. XEREV again, SRS from Los Mochis, Sinaloa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1040, Aug 24 at 1203 UT, no XE legal ID amid two songs, the first refraining ``no quiero perderte``, so must be romántica, just ``La Once[?], FM 90.1, La Primera, Número Uno``, which is enough to ID it as XEGYS, Guaymas, Sonora, as also heard four days earlier. Not much else was showing from Mexico around sunrise today (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 760, Aug 25 at 1158 VG signal where none had been a minute or two earlier, soon ID as ``La Preciosa``; thought they said 15-60, but must have been 7-60. Cantú pins this right on:
    760 XEEB Preciosa Cd. Obregon, Son. 5,000 1,000

870, Aug 25 at 1159 Mexican NA, fading but then could copy sign-on mentioning Tarahumara, so doubtless XETAR, per Cantú:
    870 XETAR La Voz de la Sierra Tarahumara Guachochi, Chih. 10,000 D = daytime only, heard many times before and better, but always fun to get this native station.

1030, Aug 25 at 1200, good signal from Mexican choral NA, but faded into QRM by 1201, volatile sunrise skip conditions (officially 1157 UT in Enid today). At least it wasn`t KCTA, Corpus Christi, potential spoiler in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. Sunrise skip MW DX:
    610, Aug 27 at 1159, ``Sólo por la G-S``, 5:59 time, therefore per Cantú: 610 XEGS La Ley Guasave, Sin. 1,000 500
    But did not hear ``La Ley`` mentioned; still vigent?

1160 mystery, solved: not a Mexican: see U S A (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX August 28, UT:

650, at 1159 Aug 28, Mexican history item, 1200 ID as ``Radio 65 FM``, then mentions 106.5 FM y 650 AM. How convenient: Cantú shows:
    106.5 XHTNT Radio 65 + AM 650 Los Mochis, Sin. [no power on FM; new?]
    650 XETNT Radio 65 + FM 106.5 Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000 1,000

We seem to have a pipeline from Los Mochis this morning as well as several previous sunrises:
    770, at 1201 Aug 28, `Los 40 Principales`` full ID with XEREV, i.e.:
    BTW, KKOB 770 NM nondirexional day pattern starts in Aug at *1230 UT, Sept *1245, Oct *1315

870, at 1202 Aug 28 choral NA, 1203 mentions ``en esta hermosa Sierra Tarahumara`` then into indigenous language, from XETAR, Chihuahua.

920, at 1204 Aug 28, ID as R. Capital, Hermosillo, i.e. per Cantú:
    920 XEHQ Radio Capital Hermosillo, Son. 5,000 1,000

990, at 1214 ID as Radio México 990 AM, ``todo México``. Radio México is the name of a group, not a particular station. Here`s their own listing:
    http://www.gradiomex.com/default.asp?pid=15992
    But nothing on 990. Info there is © 2009, so quite possibly outdated. Thru Cantú state-by-state listings for 990s in western México I don`t find any matches. (Before 1200 I was getting a strong 990 with temp in C, presumed XET Monterrey 50 kW). ``Radio México`` possibly just a generic mention as heard here, not a corporate name, altho the Group should assert its exclusive right to say it? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1160, Aug 27 at 1203, 7:03 time on ``La Super Equis, 11-60 AM`` in KSL null, then live YL DJ. Cantú has 5 Mexicans on 1160, none with this slogan, nor any X in the callsigns after the first letter! How about the one in X-alapa, Veracruz, XEBE, Radio Perote? That`s really too far east at this hour, and too far-fetched.

Could it be a US domestic? Googling finds Super X was the name of Albuquerque 1190 a dekayear ago, and currently of 1250 in Kansas City, but that`s no help. Maybe it`s a syndicated/group name? It`s in the CDT zone. There are two Texans: KVCE in Highland Park, address in Houston; and KRDY San Antonio as in Radio Disney per last year`s NRC AM Log. Has one of those Hispanicized?

Aha, got it, by changing the Google from Equis to X: it`s merely Kansas City, http://www.lasuperx1160.com/ Just try to find a callsign on that website! Last year`s NRC-AM log has KCTO, Cleveland MO, address in Liberty MO, talk/oldies format. FCC AM Query shows it`s still KCTO, COL Cleveland. That`s such a speck, it`s not in the Rand McNally index, but finally found it south of KC MO on the MO side of the border, while address in Liberty KS is way up on the NE side of KC. But is the site in KS or MO? Longitude is 94-36-28. This source
    http://www.netstate.com/states/geogr..._geography.htm
    says Kansas starts at 94 degrees 38 minutes west, so that puts it in MO, barely.

So what has become of KYYS 1250 Kansas City KS, which had been ``La Super Equis``? It`s easy to hear here but had not paid much attention to current sloganeering; still in Spanish, anyway. Domain http://www.lasuperx1250.com/ has expired (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Following up yesterday`s report of `La Super X` on 1160 being KCTO in the Kansas City market, so what is 1250, which had used that slogan? Aug 28 at 1217, 1250 IDs merely as ``La Equis, 12-50, la súper estación`` by super-hype locutor, denigrating the unnamed competition as ``ruido`` = noise. Ad for a ``gran baile`` 4 de Setiembre featuring a musical group from Chihuahua, which could send one way off on the wrong track. Then ad in Spanish mentioning multiple locations in Kansas City area, pronounced by YL/child as in English. 1160 was also audible but 1250 much stronger. So 1250 is merely La X, and 1160 is La Super X; are they jointly owned, since the Super X slogan transferred from 1250 to 1160? No, FCC AM Query shows 1160 KCTO is owned by Alpine Broadcasting Corp.; 1250 KYYS by Entercom, so must be bitter rivals fighting over that valuable X branding! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1460, Aug 24 at 1211 UT, plugging something coming up at 8:10, ads for Dairy Queen in Cleburne, Hawaiian Falls, Family Medicine. Cleburne is pronounced with a long E. This has to be KCLE in Texas, despite its city of license really being Burleson! Cleburne is S of Fort Worth on I-35W, while Burleson is halfway to Fort Worth from there. Studio and postal addresses are in Cleburne. This was atop our OK 1460, KZUE El Reno in Spanish. Reno is also pronounced with a long E in English, and I suspect even in Spanish the pressure is heavy to do so, if I could ever catch an ID. Now how do you pronounce Burleson? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510v, Aug 28 at 0440, slightly variable het. This is commonly heard around sunrise and sunset but not in the nightmiddle, previously tracked months ago to KCTE Independence MO. We also noted the het 23 hours earlier but did not log it; Bruce Winkelman in Tulsa did, measured on 1509.83 with IDs all night every hour on the hour, ESPN programming. Listed as 10 kW daytimer-only. On NRC-AM, Bruce says, ``Tulsa is almost "dead-center" in the SW lobe of KCTE directional pattern. Bad het against WLAC and others on 1510.00. Daytimer on all night and off-frequency to boot --- anybody home??`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Default MW DX from Enid OK, August 29-September 2, 2011

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as
    http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.php?topic=Hauser
    And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:
    http://www.worldofradio.com/dxldmid.html

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Aug 29:

750, Aug 29 at 1159, an anthem, but not Mexican national, soon obvious from the lyrix that it`s the Sinaloa state hymn; 1201 ID or sign-on mentions 89.5 FM y 750 AM, ergo per Cantú:
    750 XECSI Stereo Vida + FM 89.5 Culiacán, Sin. 5,000 250

DXLD correspondent Ing. Civ. Israel González Ahumada, M.I., in Mérida, Yucatán, has just rounded up videos of many state songs, official or not, including Sinaloa`s: ``(No tiene himno; lo consideran su himno)``
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eErA7omckaE

Then I played it, titled:
    ``Chayito Valdéz "El Sinaloense" ( REINA DE LA CANCION RANCHERA )``
    and I`m afraid that is a completely different song from the one on 750, which was not in ranchera style, certainly a more majestic and fitting paean, M cantor mentioning Sinaloa several times. I had to side-tune to 752 to evade splatter from KRMG 740 Tulsa already on day power and pattern. The video includes several clips of cock-fighting as if that were something to be proud of, the state sport?

Our correspondent then rounded up many more videos/audios of state songs from Mexico, which you will find under MEXICO at
    http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld1135.txt

830, Aug 29 at 1202, mentions 830 AM and Sinaloa, 6:02 time; Cantú:
    830 XEVQ La Grande de Sinaloa Culiacán, Sin. 5,000 1,000

880, Aug 29 at 1158, Full ID, as XERFR, Grupo Fórmula. Unfortunately, that is the network flagship in the DF on 970 with 50 kW during daytime. Fortunately, Cantú shows only one Fórmula on 880:
    880 XEV Radio Fórmula Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 250

** MEXICO. Sunrise skip Aug 30:

610, Aug 30 at 1156, ``estás escuchando `Así Suena Sinaloa`, por G-S``
    610 XEGS La Ley Guasave, Sin. 1,000 500 as in Cantú

660, Aug 30 at 1157, mentions Ciudad de Santa Rosa, and then ``aquí en Delicias``, i.e.:
    660 XEACB Radio 660 Cd. Delicias, Chih. 3,000 1,000

900, Aug 30 at 1159 Mexican NA, 1201 sign-on but only snatches copied, mentioned ``oeste del estado``, ``Grupo Divertida``, BZ? And right into rather radical political speech for several minutes until fade-out. Cantú shows the only 900 in NW Mexico is this:
    900 XEDT La Reina Cd. Cuauhtemoc, Chih. 5,000 1,500
    and linx to website http://www.lareina900.com/ credited at the bottom to ``Grupo Radio Divertida, Chihuahua, Chih. México``. Divertida = fun

Mexican NAs were playing around 1200 UT on several other frequencies, but can`t catch them all with simultaneous sign-on IDs, as I log everything in real time with my own ears (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX August 31, LSR here being 1202 UT:

920, Aug 31 at 1205 UT, NA just ending so must have started late, then picked a `Radio Capital` ID out of the QRM, so it`s XEHQ, Hermosillo, Sonora, again. But I started late too, missing the pileup of openings at 1159+.

1040, Aug 31 at 1210 UT novelty song, 1211 jingle ID mentioning ``Once . . . Número Uno, La Primera``, and timecheck for 5:10, so it`s XEGYS in Guaymas, again, thus reminding us that Sonora stays on MST of UT-7 just like, and because of, neighboring Arizona. Not sure where the ``11`` comes from unless they are rounding the frequency way off to the hi side as on a badly-calibrated analog dial? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX Sept 1, UT:

920, Sept 1 at 1205 mentions ``Hermosillo, la ciudad más bello de México``; yes, it is a pretty little place, i.e. R. Capital, XEHQ again, meanwhile mixing with NA from another XE:

920, Sept 1 at 1205 instrumental NA mixing with XEHQ, 1207 mentions Radio Noticias, Chihuahua2, so Cantú IDs this as:
    920 XEQD 920 Noticias Chihuahua, Chih. 1,000 250

The USA QRM is getting worse at sunrise across MW, but 870 remains a nice clear frequency for XETAR, with WWL faded out and nothing much from The Metroplex (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 2, UT:

1030, at 1157 UT Sept 2, ``Radio Fórmula 10-30 AM``, then 1158 Mexican NA, so probably had already been programming. Only one in Cantú list is: 1030 XEYC Radio Fórmula Cd. Juárez, Chih. 5,000 500

1130, at 1158 UT Sept 2, ID as ``La H-N``, i.e. per Cantú:
    1130 XEHN Ke buena Nogales, Son. 1,000 D

1130, at 1158 UT Sept 2 overtaking the above, ``La Poderosa FM [algo] y 11-30 AM, . . . Sinaloa``, both in KWKH null, so this one is:
    1130 XEMOS La Poderosa + FM 94.1 Los Mochis, Sin. 1,000 250
    Doesn`t seem powerful to me!

980, at 1158 UT Sept 2, mentions ``Mexicano de la Radio``, 9-80 AM, announcer Marco Campos, then conversing with a YL. I suspect that the slogan was fully ``Instituto Mexicano de la Radio``, i.e. the government group including notably XEB-1220 and XERF-1570. Cantú frequency list unfortunately does not show ownerships or affiliations, but the IMER website http://www.imer.gob.mx/ has a dropdown list of Emisoras, not all of them including frequency, but I spot one match with Cantú`s 980 roster: ``La FQ, Cananea, Sonora`` which goes to:
    http://www.lafq.imer.gob.mx/ which Cantú lists as:
    980 XEFQ La Voz de la Cd. del Cobre Cananea, Son. 2,500 500

990, at 1202 Sept 2, long multi-verse choral NA past 1203 but losing to QRM; at 1205 Spanish music to ``Somos la -- [algo]`` could well be another station, then to Elvis` ``All Shook Up``.

900, at 1207 Sept 2, numerous ads with addresses at various kilómetros on ``Carretera a Álvaro Obregón``. This Googles right to Cuauhtémoc, Chihua2, so Cantú has it:
    900 XEDT La Reina Cd. Cuauhtémoc, Chih. 5,000 1,500
    I couldn`t find a place called Álvaro Obregón in any of my atlases, but Google maps locates it as a colonia due north of Cuauhtémoc on highway 5.

870, at 1210 Sept 2, low-key YL DJ, quite a relief from the super-hype on so many commercial stations, plus no QRM, with birthday greetings, time as 6:11, into a polca, of course from:

880, at 1212 Sept 2, US béisbol homerun statistics, including some player for ``Los Metropolitanos de Nueva York`` --- ``Mets`` is just too hard to pronounce in Spanish! Beyond that, no clues; could be US or Mexican. Only US SS in new NRC AM Log around here is KJOJ in Conroe TX, near Houston, but supposed to be AC format. Of the nine Mexicans on 880 there are at most four possibilities at this hour. Maybe XEV, R. Fórmula, Chihua2? (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [non]. 990, at 1220 UT Sept 2, most of the Mexicans have faded out, but still a strong dominant signal here and hard to null, with SS ballad, 1222 ``Radio Éxitos`` singing ID, then more upbeat ballad by YL or kid with a big voice; 1226 ``El Amor --- Radio Éxitos 9-90 AM, La Mejor``. 1230 a more extensive ID/promo just lacking the needed details: ``Radio Éxitos 9-90 AM``, something about not saying any dirty words. Next song romantic, including refrain/lyrix ``se va muriendo, quiero vivir``, ``en mi casa, en mi alma, hay un sitio para ti``.

Major suspect is The Metroplex outlet hijacked several years ago from Wichita Falls, now KFCD, COL Farmersville TX. New NRC-AM Log still shows it as Spanish religion, but Googling on slogan and frequency gets hits on KFCD including Wikipedia with this update note: ``On june 4 2011 Till Today Is Broadcasting Spanish Hits 70" 80" Called Radio Exitos 990 Recuerdos y Mas`` (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Sept 1 at 1217 UT, Faith 1640, supposedly an Enid station, KFXY, but ad for OCCC, and OKC traffic report by Connie Carson. Is she doing this from a studio in OKC, or Enid? Or anywhere? KFXY, unusually direxional for an X-bander, just happens to have a major lobe toward OKC. BTW, notably undermodulated, as it has been for some time now, I have been intending to outpoint. 1640 has been on the air ten years already, so about time for some significant transmitter problem (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1270, Aug 30 at 1217 UT, thought I was getting Tulsa in Spanish, but traffic report was for Irving and other parts of DFW Metroplex, ID as La Voz del Pueblo, i.e. KFLC Fort Worth. Also with IBOC noise on the sides, which is not the case from Tulsa (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510+, Aug 29 at 0535, ESPN programming making a big slightly warbling het with decent 1510.0 stations such as WLAC, at least the third night in a row that 10 kW daytimer KCTE, Independence MO is not only on the air at night, but off-frequency as it has been for many months. Will the FCC now wake up and do something about this?? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510+, Aug 30 at 0533, KCTE Independence MO is still illegally on the air at night and illegally far beyond frequency tolerance for at least the fourth night in a row, hetting proper 1510 signals (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510+, Sept 1 at 0544, KCTE Independence MO is *still* putting a wavering het against 1510.0 stations, for at least the fifth night in a row, instead of zero-beating *and* turning off the transmitter at night like it is required to do by license (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

RE: 1510... Just another example of the poor state of AM broadcasting now a days.

See my post about WTHQ 750 in this section. FWIW... WTHQ is running properly, lately, but it won't last. You can bet the ranch on it. It's is back to Right Wing programming, again.

WTHQ's sister station (owned by the same duct-tape & fence-wire outfit) WRIK-FM 98.3 Metropolis, IL (tx at Golo, KY. 5 miles south of me) hasn't had any tower lights since early in the Summer.

A year or two ago KMAL 1470 Malden, MO. was 700 cycles off frequency, and ran this way for a week or so, before someone finally took a screwdriver to it and got it back on frequency.

Several years ago I listened to a 1/4 KW religious station (I forget who it was, now. I'm gettin' old) from somewhere down in MS, for better part of a week before I finally heard an ID.

The sad truth is... the FCC is too busy, selling RF spectrum it doesn't own, to be bothered with enforcement action.

73, Ed NN2E
    Owner / Operator - Murphy's Law Test Site & Thunderstorm Proving Grounds
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

Default MW DX from Enid OK, September 3-4, 2011

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 3; the lowest frequencies generally fade out first, so today I start tuning at band-bottom:

550, at 1154 UT Sept 3, TC 5:54 en Tapachula(? sounded like), 23 grados. Per Cantú, no Chiapans, but likely this one:
    550 XEZK Poder 55 Tepatitlan de Morelos, Jal. 2,500 1,000, if not:
    550 XETNC Radio Nayarit Tepic, Nay. 2,500 150

710, at 1157 UT Sept 3, DJ giving his work sked as he starts a shift, also on other stations in the group, 3 pm on R. Lobo, elsewhen on R. Sabrosita. 1202 full ID as XEDP, La Ranchera de Cuauhtémoc, claiming 7500 watts contrary to WRTH and to Cantú:
    710 XEDP La Ranchera Cd. Cuauhtémoc, Chih. 7,000 100

880, at 1158 Sept 3, federal and Estado de Coahuila PSAs, ergo:
    880 XETC 880 AM Torreón, Coah. 10,000 1,000

660, at 1201 Sept 3, many local announcements about Ciudad Delicias so
    660 XEACB Radio 660, La Tremenda Cd. Delicias, Chih. 3,000 1,000

870, at 1204 Sept 3, rustic music, then M&W alternating with detailed sign-on for XETAR including e-mail address, schedule 6 am to 6 pm; 6:03 TC, YL DJ begins her show for 3 de setiembre from:
    BTW, the town used to be spelt Guachóchic, requiring an accent on O

610, at 1208 Sept 3, TC for 5:09, 1.5 Hz SAH mixing with KCSP Kansas City which is gaining. Timezone means it has to be a relog of:
    610 XEGS La Ley Guasave, Sin. 1,000 500

770, at 1211 Sept 3, poor signal with Los 40 Principales singing ID:

1300, at 1216 Sept 3, in QRM mentions Puente Internacional, which I have traversed between Ciudad Juárez/El Paso, and XEP:
    1300 XEP Radio 13 Cd. Juárez, Chih. 38,000 200
    Note refined power level, odd 38 kW vs. nominal as in WRTH 50 kW
    (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. During evening thunderstorm, external antennas disconnected, so a chance to do some MW monitoring on the DX-398 with internal antenna, which is my usual setup at sunrise:

770, UT Sept 4 at 0244, plug for ``Grupo Fórmula, en todo el país, y Estados Unidos``, dominating frequency. Cantú shows:
    770 XEACH Radio Fórmula Primer Cadena Monterrey, N.L. 25,000 1,000
    Sounds more like 25 kW than one to me

880, Sept 4 at 1159 UT, network ID only for 970, XERFR in the DF, Grupo Fórmula. As usual, their only outlet on 880 is per Cantú:

1040, Sept 4 at 1213 UT, slogan as ``Vega(?), la Número Uno,`` funny song ``Qué guapo soy, que bárbaro``; 1216 TC for 5:20 ``en La Once, la Número Uno``. Once again it`s this; not sure about the Vega reference:
    1040 XEGYS La Primera + FM 90.1 Guaymas, Son. 5,000 250

** U S A. 580, UT Sunday at 1207, President Obama`s weekly `media` address on need for Congress to pass transportation bill ASAP upon reconvening. 1209 segué to Home Depot ad with no outro, no doubt our daytime dominator WIBW Topeka, doing its duty by broadcasting the president, but in the Sunday morning ghetto for as small an audience as possible some 22 hours after original availability.

Checking program schedule at
    http://580wibw.com/programs.html
    this is listed as 7:00-7:15 am Sundays, tho he never runs more than 5 minutes. WIBW is not so bad with the only obvious far-right wacko on its lineup being Glenn Beck, partly because of its dual identity as sports talk and regular talk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 780, UT Sept 4 at 0237 steady open carrier from direxion of Stillwater, no doubt 250-watt daytimer KSPI, illegally making fast SAH of approx. 12 Hz with mutually-nullable WBBM. Could not however detect the usual +/- 4 kHz spurs from KSPI; perhaps they appear only while modulating? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, KGWA Enid, my local, Sunday Sept 4 first noticed around 1200 UT that it was dead air, with some hum; still at 1221. At 1229, what I thought had been some weak station underneath was realized axually to be just-barely-modulation from KGWA itself since it was absolutely steady. Risked turning up the volume: something about a camp in Abilene, Civil War history. Is no one paying attention at Williams Broadcasting? Still the same at 1237. Or, is no one at Williams Broadcasting? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 910, Sept 3 at 1246 UT, Latin mass stix out, whence? Surely not KVIS Miami OK, not Catholic. EWTN affiliate list
    http://www.ewtn.com/radio/amfm.asp
    has only one on 910, Guadalupe Radio Network, KATH Dallas-Fort Worth.
    http://grnonline.info/
    And its program schedule confirms daily mass from EWTN [also on WEWN SW, unchecked] at 7-8 am = 12-13 UT; Sundays for a sesquihour:
    http://grnonline.info/index.php?opti...d=64&Itemid=70
    KATH is really licensed to Frisco TX, 1000/500 watts. What a great call, ``KATH-olik`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Sept 2 at 1158 UT, Spanish gospel music, ID ``La I-H-N``; I had previously learned to avoid this one as non-Mexican, but for the record this season: it`s really KIJN, 10 kW daytimer in Farwell TX, panhandle next to NM; as in In Jesus` Name (or In His Name?).

Guess what, this is well before local sunrise, as it`s a few minutes before sunrise even here in Enid far to the east of it. FCC AM Query has no pre-sunrise authority info, but NRC AM Log 2011-2012 shows psra of 3 watts. I don`t think so. (Date is correct; omitted from yesterday`s log).

Also hearing Spanish gospel music on 1060, Sept 3 at 1247, still some skywave, after not hearing KKOB on 770 from 1245 when it is supposed to switch to non-direxional day pattern. Should start showing later in September (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, UT Sept 4 at 0259, Spanish song mentioning `pecados` = sins, making me suspect it`s the gospel huxter in TX also heard before sunrise: yes, at 0301 UT, in QRM caught ``Farwell`` mentioned in ID. So KIJN is Doing God`s Work illegally at night, as FCC AM Query confirms it`s licensed strictly as a 10 kW daytimer:
    http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=4931
    And the SR/SS times for it converted to UT are:
    September 1230-0100
    October 1300-0015
    November 1330-2345
    December 1345-2345
    Anything beyond that is `cheating` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, Sept 3 at 1214 UT, ad for ``1190 The Fan`` and other stations in group looking for a sales rep. That leads to KREB in Bentonville AR, http://1190thefan.com/ (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1480, open carrier, UT Sunday Sept 4 at 1224, loops for my groundwave semi-local in Wichita, KQAM, which is supposedly 24 hours. 1232 recheck, now modulating a gospel huxter proclaimed it`s almost 2010 near the end of 2009. Wonder if he`s dead by now like PPP, DGS, or as good as dead like `Tony Alámo`, Harold Camping (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

MW DX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser, Sept 5-9, 2011

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many
    other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX Sept 5; skipping repeats of several recently logged signals on 610, 650, 770:

540, Sept 5 at 1203 Mexican NA, and ID as XETX, ``La Ranchera de [something], 5000 watts, Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Grupo G-M Radio``, then into quick spoken prayer with familiar pronoun tú, and seeming hymn. Cantú shows lower power:
    540 XETX La Ranchera de Paquimé Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chih. 1,000 250
    5 kW or 1 kW, a nice catch, I think as I continue to be amazed that XEWA SLP is not a problem on 540 with its listed 150 kW day and night; I think that must really be QRP. [but logged later, earlier, below]

710, Sept 5 at 1206, ``Noticias 7-10``, W&M, starting with efemérides items, not exactly news. I assume, but am not positive this was a program on ``XEDP, La Ranchera de Cuauhtémoc`` which I had heard but not relogged with equally good signal 4 minutes earlier, full ID claiming 7,500 watts

830, Sept 5 at 1201, `La Grande de Sinaloa``, 6:02 time, noticias:

920, Sept 5 at 1159, ID mentions 104.1 y 920, ``Nueva Nueva``, so:
    920 XECQ La Nueva Ranchera + FM 104.1 Culiacán, Sin. 5,000 500

1040, Sept 5 at 1218, ``La Once, número uno, la primera`` also mentions 90.1 FM. I think I finally get it, Once = two firsts, 1 and 1 as in the slogan!

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX Sept 6, UT:

980, Sept 6 at 1208, IMER mentioned, so I thought it must be the only IMER station on 980, XEFQ in Cananea, Sonora, as recently logged; quite dominating frequency next few minutes, and I don`t think two stations were overlapping, but after opening ``Servicio Nacional de Noticias``, gave timecheck for 7:09 while it`s 5:09 in Sonora.

Network feed from DF? Locutor Mario Campos, informally previewing stories to be covered. Then mentions ``Estéreo Vida, 93 FM``, gave two 8-digit phone numbers, and an 800 number, Twitter. 1212 over to YL with national weather summary, timecheck as 7:13. 1214 losing out to KMBZ. Now it looks like I was getting this per Cantú:
    980 XETU Estereo Vida + FM 99.3 Tampico, Tamps. 10,000 1,000
    so would they carry news from government`s IMER? Or maybe just a PSA.

1000, Sept 6 at 1204, NA ends and ID as ``La Rancherita``, Ciudad Juárez, so per Cantú this is:
    1000 XEFV La Rancherita Cd. Juárez, Chih. 1,000 D
    For some time I have been hearing Mexican under KTOK, so glad to pull this ID. There are four other possibilities in N/W Mexico. KTOK is hard to null; other OKC groundwavers have sharper nulls such as 930 and 890, why?

1180, Sept 6 at 1200 ID mentioned ``Romántica`` and only one listed in Cantú, also most likely target area is:
    1180 XEDCH La Romántica Cd. Delicias, Chih. 5,000 1,500

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 7; Heard NA on numerous frequencies around 1200 UT, but only caught one definite ID. It`s always a cat-and-mouse game, as they often fade out before the NA is finished, and you never know whether it will be a short, or long version with the same melody repeated over and over until abrupt ending.

640, Sept 7 at 1201 after NA, ID as XEJUA, 5000 watts, Milenio, Ciudad Juárez, and other sign-on data such as street address. Soon faded and I was hearing KFI with not much signal yet from nulled nearby WWLS OK.
    Cantú shows:
    ``640 XEJUA Milenio TV (audio del canal) Cd. Juárez, Chih. 5,000 D``
    So he says it`s carrying soundtrack of this TV channel now! As recently as WRTH 2011, it was ``Radio Recuerdo, Canal 640``

Milenio is mainly a newspaper, but website http://www.milenio.com includes live audio and video. I`ve not heard of it being TV on the air; maybe just pay cable as implied in their contact info listing (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 8 (our LSR now 1208 UT):

540, Sept 8 at 1156 UT mentions ``radio noticias . . . aquí en San Luis Potosí``, so XEWA is originating locally; now atop another Mexican with music.

560, Sept 8 at 1158 UT mentions Coahuila and Torreón, but no station there, not enough to go on but nearest per Cantú is:
    560 XEGIK La Acerera Monclova, Coah. 1,400 250 - acerera = steel mill?

660, Sept 8 at 1159 UT, ``aquí en Delicias``, local events including a baile on domingo. Cantú:

680, Sept 8 at 1202 UT, timecheck as 6:02, noticias. Of the nine Mexicans on 680, only this one is in the UT-6 = CST/MDT zone:
    680 XEFO Éxtasis Digital Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 250
    Or: it could be 500-watt SS KWKA Clovis NM, per NRC AM Log 2011-2012

790, Sept 8 at 1200 sharp, Mexican NA starts, initially good. Turns out to be long choral version until 1204, by which time I can`t pull an ID thru the QRM.

1030, Sept 8 at 1206 YL with language lesson apparently about the word curículo; then OM plugs multiple platforms, Twitter, Skype, has listeners as far as Washington State in the ``Unión Americana``, cable a través de Time-Warner/Comcast; this show is until 10 am ``también en televisión``. http://www.radioformula.com.mx also has programs on demand. Per Cantú the only Fórmula on 1030 is:
    1030 XEYC Radio Fórmula Cd. Juárez, Chih. 5,000 500

** MEXICO. Sept 9 I slept an hour later than usual, assuaging my deprivation, and also missing sunrise DX around 1200; tsk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 990, Sept 5 at 1212, talk in English about the history of Fort Osage, dominating frequency at the moment, certainly not SS KFCD in TX. There is no 990 in OK, but the closest to Osage country is KRMO in Cassville, SW Missouri. Supposedly has `Hot Country Music` until 1245 weekdays, but probably a brief feature:
    http://www.krmo.com/index.php?option...d=63&Itemid=66
    Fort Osage is/was axually in NW Missouri near Independence where there are no 990s (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Sept 6 at 1201, Spanish ID for KIJN, Farwell, Tejas. Cf my previous report, Wayne Heinen, editor of the new NRC AM Log, 2011-2012, just out (see
    http://www.nrcdxas.org/catalog/books/index1.html
    for ordering info; highly recommended!)
    points out that pre-sunrise and post-sunset authorizations are not found via FCC AM Query pages, but instead ``via FCC`s CDBS site. Using the CDBS station search:
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/p...d/sta_sear.htm
    Go to Details on the station`s search form. Then View Correspondence Folder. This link will show the PSRA and PSSA documents for the station if any exist."

If you follow these, you get a pdf that lists KIJN`s PSRA at:
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...letter_id=3821
    which shows they may use up to 3.0 watts starting at 6 am CDT yearound, except in June a hefty 6.0 watts (since sunrises are earliest, and the ``limiting station``, XEEP can tolerate ``twice`` as much QRM!). KIJN is also very fortunate to be just barely in the CDT zone, as if licensed to Texico NM just across the border they could not sign on their ``three watts`` until 1200 UT summer/1300 UT winter.

KIJN also has a PSSA at
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...letter_id=1857
    showing they may also use 3.0 watts for two hours after official sunset yearound, which in Sept means 0100-0300 UT. My last log was just after 0300, but maybe they were about to sign off. Currently they should not be on the air even with 3 watts between 0300 and 1100 UT, but Wayne says, ``KIJN has been running all-night for quite a while with no authorization that I can find.``

The fact remains that when I hear them in the PSRA or PSSA periods, they can`t possibly be running only three watts. I have read that it`s difficult-to-impossible to power down many transmitters to that level even if they wanted to, so it could be the full 10 kW, or anywhere between that and some reasonably audible lower power at this distance. A longer discussion of this, with the complete PSRA/PSSA tables for KIJN will be in DXLD 11-36 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510+, Sept 6 at 1224, sports talk with het from off-frequency KCTE Independence MO. I need to recheck in the nightmiddle whether this daytimer is still on the air then as they had been for a week (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, Sept 7 at 0522 check, no het, so daytimer KCTE Independence MO has quit broadcasting at night; someone else had sports talk amid CCI. Some 6.5 hours later, the wavering het on 1510.8 or so was back, affirming that KCTE is still off-frequency, in the daytime at least (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Sept 8 at 0543, an ESPN station, producing heavy CCI and a fast SAH with KOKC, which ought to be in the clear here, a 50 kW scarcely 100 km away; // 1500 KSTP. My patience does not allow me to wait for ID, but there have been numerous reports of this as KOLM, Rochester MN, tnx to Bruce Winkelman in Tulsa and Richard N Allen near Billings OK, where it also QRMs our KOKC. Unlike most of my Mexicans, this was logged on the FRG-7 with same E-W longwire as for SW, tuning past the bottom end of the SW bands.

KOLM is supposed to run 10 kW day, 800 watts night, yeah, right, furthermore with a critical-hours null at 215 degrees toward us and OKC, everything going NNE at night, and non-direxional daytime; obviously day = night for KOLM (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1610, Sept 6 at 0346, low-level CCI but brief surge of one signal with gospel huxter in English, not // 5935, so not Anguilla. Canadian? This ought to be a prime DX frequency with no US stations except TIS on it, but difficult here tnx to IBOC from KATZ-1600 St Louis; Hallelujah! I still haven`t logged XEUACH (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

MW DX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser, Sept 5-9, 2011

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX Sept 5; skipping repeats of several recently logged signals on 610, 650, 770:

540, Sept 5 at 1203 Mexican NA, and ID as XETX, ``La Ranchera de [something], 5000 watts, Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Grupo G-M Radio``, then into quick spoken prayer with familiar pronoun tú, and seeming hymn. Cantú shows lower power:
    540 XETX La Ranchera de Paquimé Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chih. 1,000 250
    5 kW or 1 kW, a nice catch, I think as I continue to be amazed that XEWA SLP is not a problem on 540 with its listed 150 kW day and night; I think that must really be QRP. [but logged later, earlier, below]

710, Sept 5 at 1206, ``Noticias 7-10``, W&M, starting with efemérides items, not exactly news. I assume, but am not positive this was a program on ``XEDP, La Ranchera de Cuauhtémoc`` which I had heard but not relogged with equally good signal 4 minutes earlier, full ID claiming 7,500 watts

830, Sept 5 at 1201, `La Grande de Sinaloa``, 6:02 time, noticias:

920, Sept 5 at 1159, ID mentions 104.1 y 920, ``Nueva Nueva``, so:
    920 XECQ La Nueva Ranchera + FM 104.1 Culiacán, Sin. 5,000 500

1040, Sept 5 at 1218, ``La Once, número uno, la primera`` also mentions 90.1 FM. I think I finally get it, Once = two firsts, 1 and 1 as in the slogan!

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX Sept 6, UT:

980, Sept 6 at 1208, IMER mentioned, so I thought it must be the only IMER station on 980, XEFQ in Cananea, Sonora, as recently logged; quite dominating frequency next few minutes, and I don`t think two stations were overlapping, but after opening ``Servicio Nacional de Noticias``, gave timecheck for 7:09 while it`s 5:09 in Sonora.

Network feed from DF? Locutor Mario Campos, informally previewing stories to be covered. Then mentions ``Estéreo Vida, 93 FM``, gave two 8-digit phone numbers, and an 800 number, Twitter. 1212 over to YL with national weather summary, timecheck as 7:13. 1214 losing out to KMBZ. Now it looks like I was getting this per Cantú:
    980 XETU Estereo Vida + FM 99.3 Tampico, Tamps. 10,000 1,000
    so would they carry news from government`s IMER? Or maybe just a PSA.

1000, Sept 6 at 1204, NA ends and ID as ``La Rancherita``, Ciudad Juárez, so per Cantú this is:
    1000 XEFV La Rancherita Cd. Juárez, Chih. 1,000 D
    For some time I have been hearing Mexican under KTOK, so glad to pull this ID. There are four other possibilities in N/W Mexico. KTOK is hard to null; other OKC groundwavers have sharper nulls such as 930 and 890, why?

1180, Sept 6 at 1200 ID mentioned ``Romántica`` and only one listed in Cantú, also most likely target area is:

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 7; Heard NA on numerous frequencies around 1200 UT, but only caught one definite ID. It`s always a cat-and-mouse game, as they often fade out before the NA is finished, and you never know whether it will be a short, or long version with the same melody repeated over and over until abrupt ending.

640, Sept 7 at 1201 after NA, ID as XEJUA, 5000 watts, Milenio, Ciudad Juárez, and other sign-on data such as street address. Soon faded and I was hearing KFI with not much signal yet from nulled nearby WWLS OK.
    Cantú shows:
    ``640 XEJUA Milenio TV (audio del canal) Cd. Juárez, Chih. 5,000 D``
    So he says it`s carrying soundtrack of this TV channel now! As recently as WRTH 2011, it was ``Radio Recuerdo, Canal 640``

Milenio is mainly a newspaper, but website http://www.milenio.com includes live audio and video. I`ve not heard of it being TV on the air; maybe just pay cable as implied in their contact info listing (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 8 (our LSR now 1208 UT):

540, Sept 8 at 1156 UT mentions ``radio noticias . . . aquí en San Luis Potosí``, so XEWA is originating locally; now atop another Mexican with music.

560, Sept 8 at 1158 UT mentions Coahuila and Torreón, but no station there, not enough to go on but nearest per Cantú is:
    560 XEGIK La Acerera Monclova, Coah. 1,400 250 - acerera = steel mill?

660, Sept 8 at 1159 UT, ``aquí en Delicias``, local events including a baile on domingo. Cantú:

680, Sept 8 at 1202 UT, timecheck as 6:02, noticias. Of the nine Mexicans on 680, only this one is in the UT-6 = CST/MDT zone:
    Or: it could be 500-watt SS KWKA Clovis NM, per NRC AM Log 2011-2012

790, Sept 8 at 1200 sharp, Mexican NA starts, initially good. Turns out to be long choral version until 1204, by which time I can`t pull an ID thru the QRM.

1030, Sept 8 at 1206 YL with language lesson apparently about the word curículo; then OM plugs multiple platforms, Twitter, Skype, has listeners as far as Washington State in the ``Unión Americana``, cable a través de Time-Warner/Comcast; this show is until 10 am ``también en televisión``. http://www.radioformula.com.mx also has programs on demand. Per Cantú the only Fórmula on 1030 is:

** MEXICO. Sept 9 I slept an hour later than usual, assuaging my deprivation, and also missing sunrise DX around 1200; tsk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 990, Sept 5 at 1212, talk in English about the history of Fort Osage, dominating frequency at the moment, certainly not SS KFCD in TX. There is no 990 in OK, but the closest to Osage country is KRMO in Cassville, SW Missouri. Supposedly has `Hot Country Music` until 1245 weekdays, but probably a brief feature:
    http://www.krmo.com/index.php?option...d=63&Itemid=66
    Fort Osage is/was axually in NW Missouri near Independence where there are no 990s (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Sept 6 at 1201, Spanish ID for KIJN, Farwell, Tejas. Cf my previous report, Wayne Heinen, editor of the new NRC AM Log, 2011-2012, just out (see
    http://www.nrcdxas.org/catalog/books/index1.html
    for ordering info; highly recommended!)
    points out that pre-sunrise and post-sunset authorizations are not found via FCC AM Query pages, but instead ``via FCC`s CDBS site. Using the CDBS station search:
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/p...d/sta_sear.htm
    Go to Details on the station`s search form. Then View Correspondence Folder. This link will show the PSRA and PSSA documents for the station if any exist."

If you follow these, you get a pdf that lists KIJN`s PSRA at:
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...letter_id=3821
    which shows they may use up to 3.0 watts starting at 6 am CDT yearound, except in June a hefty 6.0 watts (since sunrises are earliest, and the ``limiting station``, XEEP can tolerate ``twice`` as much QRM!). KIJN is also very fortunate to be just barely in the CDT zone, as if licensed to Texico NM just across the border they could not sign on their ``three watts`` until 1200 UT summer/1300 UT winter.

KIJN also has a PSSA at
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...letter_id=1857
    showing they may also use 3.0 watts for two hours after official sunset yearound, which in Sept means 0100-0300 UT. My last log was just after 0300, but maybe they were about to sign off. Currently they should not be on the air even with 3 watts between 0300 and 1100 UT, but Wayne says, ``KIJN has been running all-night for quite a while with no authorization that I can find.``

The fact remains that when I hear them in the PSRA or PSSA periods, they can`t possibly be running only three watts. I have read that it`s difficult-to-impossible to power down many transmitters to that level even if they wanted to, so it could be the full 10 kW, or anywhere between that and some reasonably audible lower power at this distance. A longer discussion of this, with the complete PSRA/PSSA tables for KIJN will be in DXLD 11-36 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510+, Sept 6 at 1224, sports talk with het from off-frequency KCTE Independence MO. I need to recheck in the nightmiddle whether this daytimer is still on the air then as they had been for a week (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, Sept 7 at 0522 check, no het, so daytimer KCTE Independence MO has quit broadcasting at night; someone else had sports talk amid CCI. Some 6.5 hours later, the wavering het on 1510.8 or so was back, affirming that KCTE is still off-frequency, in the daytime at least (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Sept 8 at 0543, an ESPN station, producing heavy CCI and a fast SAH with KOKC, which ought to be in the clear here, a 50 kW scarcely 100 km away; // 1500 KSTP. My patience does not allow me to wait for ID, but there have been numerous reports of this as KOLM, Rochester MN, tnx to Bruce Winkelman in Tulsa and Richard N Allen near Billings OK, where it also QRMs our KOKC. Unlike most of my Mexicans, this was logged on the FRG-7 with same E-W longwire as for SW, tuning past the bottom end of the SW bands.

KOLM is supposed to run 10 kW day, 800 watts night, yeah, right, furthermore with a critical-hours null at 215 degrees toward us and OKC, everything going NNE at night, and non-direxional daytime; obviously day = night for KOLM (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1610, Sept 6 at 0346, low-level CCI but brief surge of one signal with gospel huxter in English, not // 5935, so not Anguilla. Canadian? This ought to be a prime DX frequency with no US stations except TIS on it, but difficult here tnx to IBOC from KATZ-1600 St Louis; Hallelujah! I still haven`t logged XEUACH (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

MW DX from Enid OK, Sept 10-20, 2011

** MEXICO. 730, once owned by XEX, now degraded to only 100 kW, is now shared with an octet of other Mexicans, including:
    730, Sept 10 at 0548 UT, ``Radio Viva Villa`` jingle atop SAH jumble:
    730 XEHB Radio Viva Villa Hidalgo del Parral, Chih. 50,000 1,000

850, Sept 10 at 1214 in KOA null with SAH, song ``Yo tengo un amigo que me ama; su nombre es Jesús``. Suspect it`s this one in Cantú with religious name:
    850 XEM Radio Renacimiento Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 500
    Yes, from his separate listings by state, link to its own website
    http://renacimiento850.com/default.aspx
    confirms it`s one of Mexico`s few gospel-huxter format stations; hmm, XEM calls used to apply to Mexicali (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 1300, Sept 10 at 1208, Chihuahua mentioned, no doubt XEP Juárez which often dominates with its 38 kW day power. Noticed IBOC noise on each side and about decided it had IBOC, but then KAKC Tulsa took over 1300 too. Interesting that its IBOC sidebands preceded audibility on analog center channel (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise tuning Sept 11, UT:
    850, at 1207 after NA, in KOA null, ``Chihuahua, Chihuahua`` and 5,000 watts mentioned in sign-on, ergo per Cantú:
    850 XEM Radio Renacimiento Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 500

A relog, also 920 XEHQ Hermosillo, Sonora; 650 XETNT Los Mochis, Sinaloa is in every morning too (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Circa sunrise MW DX Sept 12, UT:

640, Sept 12 at 1206, after long or late NA, XEJUA sign-on, barely audible vs WWLS et al. probably including KFI; Cantú shows:
    640 XEJUA Milenio TV (audio del canal) Cd. Juárez, Chih. 5,000 D

670, Sept 12 at 1153, saludos to numerous individuals and families apparently on ranches in rural areas, mentioned San Eugenio, Coahuila, La Joya; from Radio Ranchito, ``aquí en Torreón``. Cantú shows:
    670 XETOR Radio Ranchito Torreón, Coah. 1,000 250
    BTW not to be confused with another 670 with a similar name:
    670 XEIS La Rancherita Cd. Guzmán, Jal. 5,000 1,000

680, Sept 12 at 1158, ``Digital 680, XEFO``, rock music, so:
    (``680`` was pronounced ``seiscientos ochenta``. If they had said ``seis-ochenta`` I would have rendered it 6-80)
    I did not hear ``Éxtasis`` mentioned, but watch out for another one:
    680 XESON Éxtasis + FM 99.1 Hermosillo, Son. 1,000 1,000

710, Sept 12 at 1159 wrapping up apparent gospel huxter with website http://www.vinonuevo.net --- homepage gives street address, but never city! Only by zooming out their google map do I find that it is in Ciudad Juárez, Chihua2. 710, however, is the usual dominator here, XEDP with full ID at 1200, La Ranchera de Cuauhtémoc, 7500 watts etc.:
    710 XEDP La Ranchera Cd. Cuauhtemoc, Chih. 7,000 100

990, Sept 12 at 1203 after NA, sign-on by XEER, vs a lot of QRM:
    990 XEER Radio Lobo Cd. Cuauhtemoc, Chih. 5,000 250

1030, Sept 12 at 1209, R. Fórmula plugging its webstream, world news by W, brief comments by M:

1300, Sept 12 at 1213, ``Radio México Noticias``, 6:13 time, ``tráfico en las puentes internacionales``, i.e. duration of current backups on the international bridges including Zaragoza a bit downstream from Juárez: http://www.puenteinternacionalzaragozaysleta.com/

Or was it ``los puentes``? That page uses the masculine; my Random House dixionary says mf meaning the word is both/either masculine/feminine like frente, mar; maybe it depends on the sense. Anyhow, XEP again, making a fast SAH with KAKC Tulsa, and soon losing out to it:
    1300 XEP Radio 13 Cd. Juárez, Chih. 38,000 200

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX Sept 13, UT:

580, Sept 13 at 1206, mentions Chihuahua several times and program `Amanecer Ranchero`, so per Cantú:
    580 XEFI Radio Mexicana Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 700

620, Sept 13 at 1208 with 6:07 TC on the 13 de setiembre, so:
    620 XEBU La Norteñita Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 1,000
    the only Mexican in the UT-6 timezone

680, Sept 13 at 1212, `La Mera Jefa`, Sonora, promo, but must have said Sinaloa, as this is the only one:
    680 XEORO La Mera Jefa + FM 93.7 Guasave, Sin. 1,000 500
    The slogan means literally ``The mere boss`` [female], but perhaps a native speaker can explain what this slang really refers to. Is it misogynistic, or misanthropic? Other stations on 820, 970 even call themselves ``La Mera Mera`` (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 18:
    620, Sept 18 at 1205, orchestral NA ends and XEBU sign-on from Chihuahua. Per Cantú:

730, Sept 18 at 1209, XEHB ID with 50,000 watts from Parral, also street address by super-hype locutor. Cantú:
    730 XEHB Radio Viva Villa Hidalgo del Parral, Chih. 50,000 1,000

760, Sept 18 at 1210, martial tune, maybe an unknown state song, 1213 lo-key sign-on sounds like XENG, then announcer plugs the saint for tomorrow; 1215 `Domingo [illegible] del Recuerdo` show. Closest match fonetically in Cantú is:
    760 XENY Radio Geny Nogales, Son. 5,000 100
    Tried to check the website linked from Fred`s by-state page,
    http://www.xenygenial.com/pagina/index.php
    but it`s ``temporarily unavailable, cannot link to server``
    At least we know the derivation of the callsign

** MEXICO. Sunrise MWDX Sept 19, our LSR now 1217 UT:

970, at 1221 UT Sept 19, avoiding splat from local KGWA 960 by nulling it and sidetuning to 972: YL DJ affirms date is 19 de septiembre, slogan ``La Mejor, 9-70``, but that`s all I got. Oh oh, Cantú shows two named that on 970:
    970 XEMF La Mejor Monclova, Coah. 1,000 500
    970 XEEZ La Mejor Caborca, Son. 5,000 250
    But at this late hour I would certainly lean toward the latter altho it`s a bit further.

990, at 1159 UT Sept 19, NA until 1202 a passionate speech, apparently a soldier`s creed of loyalty to the flag; 1205 finally ID as XEER, ``Estéreo Romance 990 AM, 5000 vatios, desde nuevos estudios en [street address], Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua, una emisora más del Grupo BN [? or fonetically similar] Radio``; 1206 live DJ takes over. Yes, an AM station has `Stereo` in its very name, so is it C-Quam or mere hype? In his Chihua2 sexion, Cantú has a streaming link, but no logo or website and gives its slogan instead as ``Radio Familia``; but in his by-frequency listing, yet a third slogan! ---
    990 XEER Radio Lobo Cd. Cuauhtémoc, Chih. 5,000 250
    Truly a station in flux, or with multiple personalities.

1030, at 1208 UT Sept 19, Telefórmula opening with plug for its multiple platforms, including specific satellite channel numbers on Sky, Dish from Florida to Washington State [but how about Maine?], cable system channels in Mexico and US. Obviously this is a TV soundtrack. Per Cantú once again the only Radio Fórmula on 1030 is:

1030, at 1223 UT Sept 19, giving phone numbers ``aquí en la cabina``, including 3-34-10-30, also mentioned ``aquí en Baja California``, plus website .info and hotmail address I could not copy. So it`s surely:
    1030 XESDD La Tremenda Tijuana, B.C. 5,000 5,000

Strangely, Kirk Allen in Ponca City OK, who also chases Mexican MW DX, says he heard XESDD Sept 16 at 1140-1200 on *920*, altho IDing as "XESDD, La Tremenda en 10-30 AM." There were no mentions of 9-20. He has it as a reactivation from Ensenada, with many local mentions, but Cantú and WRTH do not show any BC stations on 920, the closest ones being in Sonora and Sinaloa; a relay? NRC AM Log shows three Alta Californians on 920, none near the border. One suspects the SDD call alludes to San Diego. I can`t get a google match on the phone number, maybe miscopied, but do find this rudimentary website which autolaunches audio: http://www.latremenda1030am.com/

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX September 20: woke too late for the 1200 NAs.

1040, Sept 20 at 1223, singing ID as Radio Vida, 90.1. No, they must have sung ``Radio Visa``, as per Cantú link to the station:
    http://radiovisa.com.mx/guaymas/

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. While parked in a store lot near West O.K. Garriott & Cleveland in western Enid, I performed FM and AM bandscans between 1920 and 1930 UT September 19. Of note, mostly on the local scene: [FM portion deleted here]

530, robotic YL weather presumably NWS relayed by KTA [Kansas Turnpike Authority] in S Kansas [nearest spot of multiple outlets: South Haven], very weak but monitoring in low-noise pocket; and with SAH from another HAR/TIS

1050, lo het dominated by music: KKRX Lawton OK is still off-frequency vs KGTO Tulsa

1120, KEOR Catoosa is still silent as it has been for many months now

1640, local KFXY which I last reported as undermodulated, is now back up to full modulation and adjacent splash. Whee! BTW, it does put a local-like signal into OKC daytime, tnx to 10 kW direxional figure-8

1670, Talking House JBA at this location, no doubt the same one in NW Enid as heard for months since the owner and realtor forget about it, wasting milliwatts, not enough to feed hungry Cubans (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 780, Sept 10 at 0547, fast SAH from open carrier in WBBM null, and this time I can detect spur carriers on 776 and 784, so it`s daytimer KSPI Stillwater for sure, leaving its 250-watt transmitter on all night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 780, Sept 19 at 1232 UT, KSPI Stillwater, dead air with occasional glitchy noises; earlier in the hour the audio was cutting off and on. This station is really a mess, can`t even operate normally with its 250 watts, also longstanding spurs on 776 and 784 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 930, Sept 11 at 1210 UT, talkshow in perfect English on WKY, interview about some public-service organization, 1212 called `Sunday Morning Magazine`, and cut to adstring in exaggerated super-hyped Spanish, this station`s usual language, but forced to pronounce some advertiser names more or less in English. A few minutes later they were back in English magazine show.

Website http://www.laindomable.com/ does not even include a program schedule, and does not find that program title even when internally searched! So for the uninitiated, WKY can seem 100% Spanish, as asserted by upper-left block ``Al Aire``: La Indomable from 12 am to 12 am; and ``next up``: La Indomable. But why do they bother with any English? Perhaps some perceived public-service obligation? So beware: if you hear English on 930 for at least half an hour on Sunday mornings, it could be OK! (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1020, semilocal KOKP, Perry OK, normally blox anything else, but Sept 17 at 1250 UT I found KOKP had relented by ceasing to modulate, unlike its sister station 1580 KOKB Blackwell, which was sports-talking as usual, tho last year had extensive hours/days of dead air itself.

When nulled, this allowed me to detect a weak signal with Mexican music. Rather than referring to Cantú for a genuine XE, at this late hour I suspect KCKN Roswell NM, which per 2011 NRC AM Log besides C&W and religion has ``some Spanish programs``. Let`s take a look at their program schedule, at http://kckn1020.com/ --- what program schedule? I don`t see any sign of one, and everything is in English leading you to believe it`s nothing but kickin` country! (During the following hour, 7-8 am Saturdays, is Red Steagall`s Cowboy Corner, linked to http://www.cowboycorner.com/ --- I remember reporting that months ago on another affiliate.) So how about it, Jerry, do you have Mexican music on the air Saturdays before 7 am MDT? There is no Mexican north or west of this unlikely one in Cantú:
    1020 XEPIC Radio Hits Tepic, Nay. 1,000 1,000

FCC AM Query shows Official Sunrise for KCKN during September is 1245 UT, (October: 1300), so KCKN would have just switched from DA-night pattern to DA-day, both 50 kW. Day pattern is quite unfavorable for us, with big nulls to the NE & SW, major lobes to the NW and SE, but night pattern has an even deeper null toward KDKA, as if they cared anymore with KOKP et al. in between (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1500, Sept 19 at 1211 UT, `Osgood File` from CBS, 1213 local announcer talking about K-Jim getting a DX report from Finland, with mp3, explaining that this is possible on AM with very long antennas, not FM; then relays lo-fi robotic NWS local weather forecast.

KJIM is in Sherman TX, address in Denison; I often enjoy its nostalgic music around sunrise or sunset. NRC AM Log shows it as a 1000 watt daytimer plus PSRA of 500 watts from 0700 [meaning ET, presumably] and off at sunset. So if someone just got it in Finland, it would have to be just before sunset here, which is 0030 UT in Sept, 0000 in Oct, surpassing 50 kW KSTP et al. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1030, Sept 19 at 1230 UT, still hoping for Mexicans, instead heard CDT, ID in passing from KCWJ, which is 5 kW from Blue Springs MO, near Independence, near Kansas City (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1570, Sept 13 at 0543 UT, something in English is briefly atop XERF, promoting an upcoming game on ``Classic Hits 106.3``. Googling leads to KVTK 1570 Vermillion SD, counterpart of KVHT 106.3, which apparently takes overflow games from 1570`s sports format.
    http://www.kvht.com/
    Vermillion Ticket & Vermillion Hits the calls must denote. 1570 is supposed to be 71 watts at night, 500 at day; I wonder which? Poor XERF is not getting the protexion it deserves from all the US stations which once were banned at night from 1570. This channel is anything but `clear` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 20 at 1215 UT, song about Jesus in unknown language, east-west in KRVN null. Previously had skipped over religion here, assuming merely 50 kW Arkansawyer KLRG, but 1218 talk in Navajo! With some English words such as ``satisfied``, ``illegal``. 1219 another hymn, 1221 gone. Therefore it`s KHAC Tse Bonito NM, a.k.a. Window Rock AZ on the border, non-direxional 50 kW day, 430 watts night. Time was around sunrise in Enid, long before in Tse/Rock = Window/Bonito but NRC AM Log shows schedule as 12-06 UT; nothing about a PSRA, so which power was it? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I visited Dallas TX Sept 14-15 for the HFCC meeting. An intense 24 hours, no time for local monitoring, but I did note a few things:

700, on the way back in southern OK evening of Sept 15, I was surprised to find KHSE Wylie (= The Metroplex) in English, including DJ introducing S Asian music after adstring in English of numerous Asian businesses

990, KFCD Farmersville (= The Metroplex), at 2348 UT Sept 15 in southern OK, with ad/promo for http://www.radioexitosfm.net música de los 70s y 80s --- not clear immediately whether this was the service we were really listening to on 990. Ha, the website says 80s y 90s, moving forward? Just try to figure out from the website where this is physically located?! Galería de fotos includes two shots of XHSG-FM 90.9, Crystal FM, in Piedras Negras, Radiorama, which could be a hint.

Some of the linx are dead, but not Facebook, which includes this:

Radio Exitos FM 99.3 o 98.5 -- 106.7 o 107.9 FM Culaquier Frequencia [sic], AM o FM Programación Para Tu radio 24 Horas. Con Soporte técnico a Control remoto e Imagen Personalisada para tu radio am o fm, llámanos, para más información al tel 214-628-5742. Cámbiate a un Formato de Exitos Comprobado Radio Exitos FM
    e-mail dagoberto@radioexitosfm.com
    September 14 at 6:00pm · Like · Comment

So the area code on that is back in Dallas.

and this:
    Radio Exitos escúchanos en http://www.radioexitos.us
    Radio Exitos.us Ahora En Tu Celular http://www.tunein.com radioexitosfm
    http://www.radioexitos.us

LLévanos Contigo Y Disfruta de Exitos de Los 80's y 90,s En Radio Exitos FM Desde Texas Hasta Tu Celular Inteligente en Vivo Live Radio
    Saturday at 9:26pm · Like · Comment

Which merely leads back to the original homepage I heard announced. I took the liberty of fixing up their Spanish with accents.

1480, KNIT Dallas is definitely still off the air, as it has been since July to put in a new ground system, Paul Walker reported. This also helps make KQAM Wichita easier to hear back in Enid (Glenn Hauser, TX & OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 21:

540, Sept 21 at 1158 UT, ``radio noticias`` and ``14 grados en la capital potosina`` so XEWA:
    540 XEWA W Radio + FM 103.9 San Luis Potosi, S.L.P. 150,000 150,000

550, Sept 21 at 1203 UT, after NA, ``XEPL, La Súper Estación, 5000 watts, Cuauhtémoc, 24 horas`` all mentioned, so:
    550 XEPL La Super Estación Cd. Cuauhtémoc, Chih. 5,000 150

580, Sept 21 at 1157 UT, birthday greeting to someone ``allá en Unión, Coahuila``, and it`s now 22 degrees. Untimed SAH of approx 2 Hz with WIBW. I don`t find a plain Unión, but there is a Villa Unión between Piedras Negras and Sabinas, so per Cantú:
    580 XEMU La Rancherita del Aire Piedras Negras, Coah. 5,000 2,500

720, Sept 21 at 1159 UT, phone numbers 4-33-01 y 4-33-02, but only partial ID as ``7-20``. No hits on phones, but likely this:
    720 XEJCC Extremo 7-20 Cd. Juárez, Chih. 1,000 1,0000 [sic]

880, Sept 21 at 1208 UT, promo for an afternoon program on a frequency in the 1500s, so apparently a sibling station? mentioned Fórmula, so presumably XEV in Chihuahua, but there are no 1500s in that city:

900, Sept 21 at 1217 UT, Radio Vida ID, 6:17 timecheck. Cantú has no 900s with that name, but the only one from probable target area is:
    900 XEDT La Reina Cd. Cuauhtemoc, Chih. 5,000 1,500
    and its website http://www.lareina900.com/ still calls it La Reina. Could it be a US station in MDT zone? There aren`t any in TX, NM, AZ, CO, UT

1030, Sept 21 at 1226 UT, ``aquí en Baja California``, announcer greeting people in lots of cities including Ensenada, San Quintín, Tecate, Tijuana, refers to BC as ``Estado 29`` --- its admission number? 1229 `Noticiero La Tremenda``, so:
    1030 XESDD La Tremenda Tijuana, B.C. 5,000 5,000

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 22:

580, Sept 22 at 1206 UT, choral NA is still running mixing with WIBW, 1207 singing ID as Radio Lana? No, Radiorama, ergo XEFI Chihuahua again, of the Radiorama group, altho its own slogan is per Cantú:
    580 XEFI Radio Mexicana Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 700

600, Sept 22 at 1207 UT, ID as XEDPN or fonetically similar, La Ranchera, then promo or opening ``Espacio Infantil`` segment with a countdown. This does not fit anything listed in Cantú or WRTH or Googling. Sure seemed like a 5-letter call. Maybe a recent frequency change? Or network relay, like you hear XERFR 970 IDs all over the R. Fórmula network? Help!

620, Sept 22 at 1205 UT, orchestral NA ending, ID as XEBU, La Norteñita, 620, 10,000 vatios, street address in Chihuahua2. VG signal dominating for a few minutes. Oh oh, disparity in powers; Cantú:
    WRTH also has 5/1 kW, so increased or mere hype? Again at 1209, noticeable with TC for only 6:07 and later in the same minute 6:08, still not caught up, also slogan ``la grande de Chihuahua``.

800, Sept 22 at 1210 UT, KQCV OKC evidently off, perhaps due to current storm, uncovering two weak SS. XEROK Juárez does not have much of a signal here, still listed 50 kW, and should be good even with KQCV on but nulled. 1217 KQCV cuts back on.

1180, Sept 22 at 1214 UT, ID as XEDCH, La Romántica, with several phone numbers, for requests? Briefly has channel to self, but with KFAQ 1170 IBOQRM. Cantú:

** MEXICO. Sunrise MWDX Sept 23, UT:

600, Sept 23 at 1201, ID as ``XELN, Gómez Palacio, Durango … Radiorama Laguna``. I was hoping to nail down the unID heard yesterday, but instead we have another quandary. (GP is a sister city to Torreón across the state line in Coahuila, and they are really a single market known as `Laguna` for a dried-up lake.) The 600 station there is XEDN, Radio Mexicana per Cantú. I am not positive of the third letter, but it was a two-syllable one, not a D. I don`t find an XELN for any radio station, but it is the longtime call of channel 4 TV in Torreón. Maybe this is a recent shakeup on the local radio dial. Cantú:
    600 XEDN La Mexicana Torreón, Coah. 1,000 1,000
    BTW, the Radiorama group website, which may well be outdated, http://www.radiorama.com.mx/secciones.php?sec_id=32
    also shows Torreón 600 as XEDN La Mexicana, but in a column under their sub-network Megacima.

610, Sept 23 at 1200, rhyming slogan ``G-S, la que más le ofrece`` (or maybe it was ``te``, familiarly) (I am never going to render Spanish letters `fonetically`, as how to pronounce them, and Spanish numbers, is the very least any Anglo, especially a DXer, should learn!). I hear this station often, but not the listed ``La Ley`` name, per Cantú:
    610 XEGS La Ley Guasave, Sin. 1,000 500
    At 1202, into `Panorama Agropecuario` show, finally referring to Sinaloa, so I knew it was the same station. Same program title is on 650 XETNT at same time, but different show, I think. Mentioned approach of Huracán Hil(l)ary, Cat-4 already, first I`d heard of her.

1100, Sept 23 at 1213, música romántica, ``La Única, Mil Cien AM`` no mention of FM or calls, but must be this, per Cantú:
    1100 XENAS Única + FM 96.1 Navojoa, Son. 1,000 500
    Had one thousand, eleven hundred to itself briefly. (In Spanish one would not say ``once cientos``), a rather vacant channel despite CO

** MEXICO. Sunrise MWDX Sept 26, UT:

550, Sept 26 at 1209, ad with gong for a new Chinese buffet opening Sept 22 in Cuauhtémoc:
    550 XEPL La Super Estación Cd. Cuauhtemoc, Chih. 5,000 150

630, Sept 26 at 1156 UT, historical item mentioning Municipio General Escobedo, Monterrey, outro as ``Al Momento``, to be continued an hour later; ``Buenos días, en directo desde la Ciudad de México en la F-B``, promo joint fútbol show with La Invasora 99.7 FM. Cantú:
    630 XEFB FB La Estación Que Da Las Noticias Monterrey, N.L. 10,000 10,000
    while 99.7 is confirmed as:
    99.7 XHSP La Invasora Monterrey, N.L. 50,530
    Altho IDing locally, XEFB was taking a program direct from the DF

630, Sept 26 at 1202 UT, another station has taken over 630, Fox fanfare, XEUR-AM, 50 kW, full ID, Grupo Radio Centro. O no, another bad lead. I was quite sure of the call, but the real XEUR is on 1530 in the DF, a Radiorama station. I don`t see any similar call listed on 630. Ahá, they must have said XEQR-AM, which is the original station of Radio Centro on 1030, but relayed on 630 somewhere? According to http://radiocentro.mx/estaciones they have quite a few stations on AM and FM, but except for 93.9 in Los Ángeles, they are all in the DF, not a national network in Mexico.

680, Sept 26 at 1206 UT, NA ending and sign-on mentions Chihuahua, so:

760, Sept 26 at 1205 UT, another late NA, 1206 ID as ``Antena 760, Chihuahua Capital``, i.e.:
    760 XEES Antena 760 Chihuahua, Chih. 10,000 1,000

800, distorted signal: see UNIDENTIFIED

UNIDENTIFIED. 800, Sept 26 at 1211, very distorted talk audible in KQCV OKC null, can`t even tell if it`s Spanish or English, but seems to peak SW/NE, pointing to XEROK. Might have been a spur except it`s right on 800 too. Has anyone noticed such a problem with XEROK Ciudad Juárez? There are some little US stations in the opposite direxion, but a bit late for them (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 890, Sept 26 at 1300, KTLR OKC IDing with its FM translator, on 94.1 which is K231BH, 250 watts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Just outside Tulsa to the west on US 412, around 1730 UT Sept 23 on the way to the first annual Tulsa International Film Festival, I had a beacon audible on the caradio tuned to 1100 kHz, ``OWP``. Must be a harmonic from LW. Chex out as William Pogue airport at Sand Springs, listed at
    http://www.dxinfocentre.com/ndb.htm
    as on 362 kHz, and this source also has it on 362:
    http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid-info
    Trouble is, third harmonic of 362 would be 1086. To be heard when tuned to 1100, fundamental should have been around 366 or 367, so has it changed, or varied?

OMG, instead of a harmonic, this must have been a mixing product with nearby KRMG site: 740 + 362 = 1102!

In the same area on 1480 I was hearing a distorted signal // 740 KRMG, i.e. its second harmonic, quite near its 50 kW transmitter site. Perhaps this harmonic is adequately suppressed by the rules, but forget about hearing KQAM Wichita around here which otherwise should have been audible.

600, another anomaly was a mixing product including Spanish on 600. There are so many Spanish stations in Tulsa, and being in motion did not have a chance to search for //, but one explanation I can come up with is 1570 KZLI (Spanish) minus 970 KCFO (English) = 600. Are they at the same site, perchance?

FCC AM Query shows KCFO:
    36° 11' 46.00" N Latitude Power: 2.5 kilowatts (kW) Daytime
    96° 02' 22.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

And for KZLI:
    36° 15' 55.00" N Latitude Power: 1.0 kilowatts (kW) Daytime
    95° 42' 37.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)
    So no, they are quite a distance apart. Still could be these two in some kind of external mixing.

But here`s another combo, more likely as in the closer neighborhood: 1340 KJMU Sand Springs minus 740 KRMG = 600. Yes, KJMU was in Spanish altho not shown as such in the 2011 NRC AM Log. It`s the one which was briefly duplicated on 1120 KEOR before it went dark again many months ago. It`s beginning to look like KRMG is involved in all these anomalies.

Tulsa also suffers from horrible IBOC noise surrounding 1430, 1300 and 1170, both day and night. At least KRMG is clean on that score!

** SAUDI ARABIA. 1521, Sept 25 at 0250, 1 kHz het on 1520 stations, surely BSKSA, the prime pilot for TA propagation, on caradio west of Tulsa; had faded by 0300. Or rather, WRTH shows it signs off at 0300; is that correct? Two megawatts from Duba in the northwest corner on the Red Sea (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 23 at 1210 UT, mix of Navajo and English by single OM announcer, including ``TGIF``, ``33 degrees, almost freezing``, ``6:10`` timecheck, i.e. KHAC NM/AZ.

1080, Sept 23 at 1223, nostalgia music, ``All of Me`` in fade of KRLD, and perpendicular to it; prime suspect westward is KGVY Green Valley AZ, NRC-AM Log listed as NOS format, 500-watt PSRA starting at 0800 ELT, but this was 5:23 am MST. Applying ``Eastern Local Time`` to Arizona is nothing but nonsensical. Do PSRAs for them start at 5 am MST since it`s equivalent to 6 am MDT?? I would not think so. As KRLD came back up, fast SAH ensued (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510+, Sept 22 at 1202 UT, sportstalk with het, so KCTE Independence MO is still off-frequency, but is still turning off its transmitter at night, no het when tuned by before 1200 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Perhaps due to a storm a couple hours earlier, local 1640 KFXY found to be off the air, Sept 22 at 1149 UT, so on the FRG-7 with E-W longwire I concentrate on hearing whatever is uncovered --- a couple very weak signals; must be too late for WTNI; 1151 there is Spanish music with a Cuban tinge, but surely no Cuban propagation or transmission either, but count a SAH amounting to 3.3 Hz; 1156 SAH continues but music stops; 1158 vocal music fades in, seems Spanish, romantic or gospel? 1200 YL announcement, probably ID, but just too weak to copy, drat! However, this was surely KBJA, Sandy UT, the only US station on 1640 in Spanish, per NRC-AM Log 2011-2012, and would have been still on night power of 1 kW. Next check at 1216, KFXY was back on, ``Faith 1640`` blasting away but with modulation dropouts during OKC weather and traffic.

Before that, I also checked adjacent frequencies which didn`t have to worry about KFXY ACI:

1630, Sept 22 at 1150 UT, Mexican music, 1201 full ID by that super-hype locutor as KRND, Fox Farm, Wyoming, http://www.lajotamexicana.com This was generally much stronger than 1650 from Denver. Since they are both typical X-banders, 10/1 kW non-direxional, does this mean that KRND was really on day power?

1650, Sept 22 at 1152 UT, Spanish music here too, 1157 mentions Cristo, and Radio Luz, 1200 ID as KBJD Denver (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Sept 22 at 1218 UT sunrise after chasing Mexicans, reset handheld DX-398 to 9 kHz MW intervals and with usual technique of stepping thru lower channels with slightly mistuned BFO, heard very weak carriers on 702 and 774. 774 looped NW/SE, i.e. our most common Trans-Pacific, JOUB, 500 kW NHK2 Akita, Japan. 702 looped more E/W, so suspect 2BL, 50 kW ABC Sydney, Australia, which other NAm MW DXers have been getting (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Thread Information