Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: MW DX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser

MW DX from Enid, Oklahoma, November 11-19, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as
    http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.php?topic=Hauser

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:
    http://www.worldofradio.com/dxldmid.html

UNIDENTIFIED [and non]. Some interesting hets this evening UT Nov 15, first on the caradio:

Standing out was 1 kHz het on Cuba 670, at 0120 UT. Could not tell whether plus or minus on the 10-kHz step tuning, but it matched the pitch of the Saudi 1521 het on KOKC 1520. Ergo, it`s not an accidental drift, and it isn`t a TA either, of course, since TA frequencies are as far as you could get from 670, i.e. 666 and 675. [Greece pretends they are on 665, warding off evil spirits.]

Back home on the porch with DX-398, at 0255, I find that it`s 671, DFs from the same direxion as the Cuban, and null is toward WSCR. But the (primary, R. Rebelde // 710) Cuban is not the source as it`s within SAH range of WSCR. So maybe the other Cuban, R. Reloj? No audio available. Or could it be one of those mystery USG tests on an offset frequency? No, it`s not a 1 kHz AM tone from 670, since there is no peak on 669. Please check 671 if it`s still on when you get this. Has anyone else been hearing this 671 recently? Recheck at 0637, the 671 carrier is still there peaking from the southeast/northwest?

[later: Rick Shaftan in NW NJ agreed he was hearing something on 671 at 0407; many reporters in the ABDX group also reported 671 that evening, but no one offered a bearing or any audio: Kevin Redding, TN; Bob Smoak, SC; Kevin Raper, SC; Dean Wayman, NE; Rick Barton, AZ; Bert New, GA; Phil Rafuse, PEI; Bruce Winkelman, OK]

Still in the car at 0240, I was hearing some more hets on the even frequencies, 530, 910, 1000. The latter two would be TAs on 909, 999 but could the first be 531, or is LYQ-529 back with us?

On the DX-398 did a full bandscan in the 0250-0300+ period, confirming carriers on 671, TAs 693, 774, 783, 882, 909, 927, 1053, 1152, 1215 and 1377. Could not hear LYQ on 529.

O, I also was hearing that different less than 1 kHz het above 1210, no doubt still WDGR, Dahlonega GA, the 10 kW daytimer which was recently reactivated, not only cheating all night, but not on-frequency. It was definitely identified by Neil Kazaross, and Mauno Ritola says programming is in Korean! It was already in Korean in Feb 2006; see DXLD 6-034.

NRC AM Log 2011-2012 shows WDGR also has a critical hours license for 2.5 kW, which would allow it to stay on somewhat after sunset, but not all night, with a CP for 20 kW day, 1 watt night, and 12 kW CH on a U11 configuration, which means different direxionals day and CH, non-direxional at night. To add to the complexity, city of license is Lawrenceville, and address is in Norcross. 73, (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, dxldyg and MW lists, and as expanded via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 671: Haven`t looked for TAs tonight, UT Wednesday Nov 16 around 0100 but the 671 carrier is in again. Best I can tell is that it`s from due NW/SE, which cuts across western Cuba and northeastern Colombia, give or take. {Signal is quite steady, so I doubt it`s from any further than Cuba, if not domestic.}

Sorry if I haven`t seen everyone`s reply yet, but from last night have not received any other bearings or audio reports. How about those of you in the east of NAm getting a bearing on it for some triangulation, and those in FL trying to get some audio whether it is a R. Reloj outlet or not? 73, (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, several MW lists and dxldyg via DX LISTENING DIGEST) These are the only new replies I`ve found:

Glenn, 125 miles east of Memphis, the directional is towards Cuba on the 671 (Kevin Redding, Crump, TN, 0129 UT Nov 16, ABDX via DXLD)

I've heard it here in Missouri as well -- quite a loud 1-kHz het but as Glenn said, no discernible audio here (Randy Stewart, Springfield MO, 0153 UT Nov 16, NRC-AM via DXLD)

I haven't had the opportunity to do any serious work on it yet, but I really didn't notice it on the crappy car radio daytime yesterday, in fact very weak around 2330 GMT yesterday on the NRD-535, but stronger as the eve progressed. And it was there pre-sunrise today, so obviously Latin American. No audio, or at least none coming through. Just seemingly a carrier.

Coincidental that this appeared about the same time the big Rebelde from western Cuba appeared on 530 (co-channeling their own Enciclopedia)? Rebelde has been reported on 530 by others, but that or those have been determined to be from the eastern side of the island and never heard at my location (Terry L Krueger, Clearwater, Florida, USA, 27.55.83 N, 82.46.08 W, 1326 UT Nov 16, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. Seems like the 671 kHz carrier was missing after the first two nights, but it`s back UT Nov 19 around 0030 UT as I was driving back and forth to the nearest fast food joint, where I had an 11-minute 0022-0033 wait for one burger, unlike a very irate customer who stormed in from his car, still unserved after 26 minutes. If I had used the drive-thru, I could have listened to the het just as long! It was still going at 0441 re check. We may safely assume it is far more annoying to Dentro-Cubans trying to hear 50 kW R. Rebelde on one of its prime MW frequencies, established on 670 really to block WWFE in Florida.

Terry Krueger in Clearwater FL has the 671 answer an hour later Nov 19 at 0130: ``Rebelde audio, fairly decent at times.`` During the daytime on Nov 15 he could get the carrier, but no audio; so it had to be from western Cuba, no further east than 50 miles from Habana. Slightly stronger into the evening. But not heard night of UT November 16. He hears a second Rebelde on 670 besides Arroyo Arenas. WRTH 2011 shows one of those, and one R. Reloj on 670, with no location. Let`s check the Reloj website itself:
    http://www.radioreloj.cu/index.php/p...o-reloj-por-am
    No 670 outlet listed there, let alone 671; what do they know?

Albert Lehr replied earlier via the ABDX group: ``I heard a weak carrier on 671 kHz in Livermore, California at 0310 UT 11/16. The bearing from here is about 110 degrees, possibly skewed a little on my indoor loop. The carrier is within 1 Hz of being exactly on 671 kHz. This may be a repeat of the Cuban experiment in the fall of 2007 on 1181 kHz.``

More reports of it tonight UT Nov 19 on the ABDX list:

``HUGE 1 kHz upper-sidetone heterodyne on 670 from the 671 kHz carrier tonight. Loops almost due south-north. I'll have to see if it is present during the day while looping that direction since I get many Cubanos day and night. BTW, I now live in Buras, LA, even further out into the Gulf of Mexico. -Darwin Long``

``EVEN further out into the Gulf Darwin? Stay dry, Buddy! DX isn't worth your life ;-) . The tone is audible here in St. Louis, Missouri, loud but not overwhelming. It more or less seems to peak at the exact same times Cuba overtakes my semi-local WSCR Chicago (which happens a lot). I'm wondering openly if it's a parasite/unintentional spur of some sort from the Cuban transmitter? Earl Higgins, St. Louis, Missouri, USA``, 0443 UT Nov 19

``Re 671 kHz: The tone on 670 is much louder here in Tulsa tonite (2030 CST 18 NOV 11 [0230 UT 19 NOV]) than previously heard. No DF capabilities here, unfortunately. Bruce Winkelman AA5CO, Tulsa, OK``
    (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I recently mentioned that I was no longer hearing a het on 1600, so apparently the off-frequency station, KMDO in Fort Scott KS, had fixed it --- no, there it is again, beating against KUSH/KRVA at 2113 UT Nov 18 on the caradio, and another one like it on 1510; as I toggled back and forth between the two on memory presets, (once known as push-buttons), the 1600 pitch matched exactly to my ear the het on 1510 caused by off-frequency KCTE Independence MO/Kansas City, which others have measured on 1510.83. I wonder if they are using same kind of transmitter subject to this peculiarity, as it`s quite a coincidence for both to be off by the precisely the same amount. KMDO is in SE Kansas, just one myriameter from the MO border west of Nevada (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I'm hearing the 671 carrier atm (04:45Z 11-26-11) to my SE.

NN2E
    EM56
    Benton, KY.
    "You Might Be a Redneck If...
    Your TV is on 24/7.
    Your TV has been permanently on for over a decade.
    The only time your TV is off is during a power outage.
    Your TV gets 512 channels, but you go outside to use the bathroom.
    Your new TV is sitting on top of your old TV.
    Your TV costs more than all of your other furniture.
    Your deer-stand has a TV antenna on it.
    Your cable provider has no idea that you exist."
    Jeff Foxworthy

MWDX from Enid OK, November 20-26, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

** CUBA [non]. C-SPAN cable in the US aired the third (of how many?) episode about USG international broadcasting, Nov 26 at 2330 UT; usual repeats are Monday 1300 and UT Tuesday 0100 on C-SPAN 2. Or on demand:

The Communicators with Carlos García
    Nov 22, 2011 C-SPAN | Communicators

Carlos García-Pérez talked about U.S. government-sponsored broadcasts to Cuba. Radio broadcasts into the communist-ruled country began in 1985, television broadcasts in 1990, and they are known as Radio and TV Martí. The broadcasts are jammed by the Cuban government and some in Congress argue that the future of TV Marti in particular is in question because viewership is small, compared with U.S. broadcasts to other countries, and news from other Western-based news operations appears to be available.

This week "The Communicators" airs the third in a series about U.S. Government-sponsored broadcasts to other countries. These broadcasts are services of the Broadcasting Board of Governors. . .
    http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/302825-1

In case you are wondering, CGP said he was born in Miami of Cuban parents, grew up in Puerto Rico, moved his family back to Miami for this job. Paints a picture of an effective RTV Martí, successful lately by sending DVDs of programs to Cubans; and vows that the station will continue to be a major media source in post-Castro Cuba

** MEXICO. Pre-sunrise MW DX monitoring now Nov 24 produces some of the same things we were getting an hour earlier in Oct before unDST timechanges.

650, Nov 24 at 1301 UT, `Panorama Agropecuario`, 6:01 TC, heard many times before when it was at 1200, on XETNT, Los Mochis, Sinaloa. Gets out very well, surely the 10 kW claimed rather than previously listed 2 kW.

870, Nov 24 at 1304, XETAR ID immediately heard, but in native language, not Spanish, rustic music, then mixing Spanish announcements; atop some CCI. In A-season it signed on at 1200, from Guachochi, Chihuahua.

900, Nov 24 at 1311, R. Vida ID in `Café de la Mañana` show, phone numbers for call-ins. Previously concluded this is XEDT in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua, a name change from listings as La Reina. Has Cantú cuaught up with this yet since we last checked in our almost-daily Mexican DX sessions in October when we heard it multiply?
    http://www.mexicoradiotv.com/frec_am_0800-1090.htm
    No! Will it be corrected in WRTH 2012, now probably at the press? In the new IRCA Mexican Log which we have not yet seen? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1030, Nov 24 at 1306, lengthy promo for Tele-Fórmula and its wide coverage not only in México but across the US by satellite, good here with KTWO nulled. Says this show started at 5:30 am HCM [1130 UT]: XEYC, Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua. Was also getting Spanish in KTOK 1000 null, presumably usual XEFV from same ciudad (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 670 and vicinity, Nov 25 at 1712 UT midday on caradio, distorted spur spikes from talk station; have been bothered by this for a long time, obviously out of whack nearby (frequency or geographically) transmitter. This time I get out a portable and try to find any match from stations on the low end of the band, and locals on 960, 1390, 1640 --- no, nothing fits.

But the crosstalk can also be heard when tuned directly to WWLS 640 Moore. That signal is so strong that the only explanation is that it`s coming out of their very own transmitter --- but it is NOT synchronized with WWLS itself. As far as I can tell, however, it is the same programming of sports talk, also with music bits interspersed. WWLS is also running IBOC which puts out the usual noise field peaking around 653 on the high side. I think it must be the same audio on IBOC delay somehow emitting a portion of the signal in (very distorted) AM even further from the fundamental. Has anyone ever run across this defect from other IBOC stations?

Fortunately, WWLS is the only AM IBOC station in the OKC market, KTOK having quit it years ago; unlike poor Tulsa with 3 or 4 of them; see http://topazdesigns.com/iboc/station-list.html (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 660, Nov 24 at 1302 UT, VG signal from E/W with national ads for Home Depot, Geico. Do they operate on the Res? Must have been end of very brief network newcast, 1303 ID as ``KTNN AM 660, Window Rock – Bird Springs``, right into chanting. The latter isn`t in Rand McNally`s Arizona, but Google finds it between Dilkon and Leupp north of Winslow. I assume KTNN just adds other faraway Navajo towns at random to their city of license IDs. The point is, here they are, long before local sunrise without null toward New York.

I compared it to 770 for KKOB Albuquerque, which adheres to official sunrise times before going non-direxional --- a quite weak signal in English may have been that or its non-direxional 230-watt co-channel relay in Santa Fe (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

MW DX from Enid, Oklahoma, November 27-December 3, 2011

** OKLAHOMA. 1140, Nov 29 around 2225 UT, KRMP OKC daytimer was billing itself as ``The Touch``, which is ``all-new``; rarely listen, so not sure how new that really is, but updates NRC AM Log 2011-2012 which had it as ``The Old School Station``. It`s mostly talk format now, including Tom Joyner weekday mornings, with gospel-huxters all-day Sundays; http://www.thetouch1140.com/ (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 580, Nov 28 at 2048 UT, on the caradio driving thru half of Enid, I am hearing when the ambient noise level allows an almost continuous ringing sound, not when tuned to WIBW Topeka, which is in a talk show, but when I step 10 kHz to either side, i.e. a beat against 570 KLIF Dallas, and stronger against 590 KXSP Omaha, whose own signal is weaker than KLIF. WIBW must be putting out matching spurs!

Continuing to listen mostly on 590, the ringing sound sometimes stops for a second or so, and sometimes for a minute or two. It`s not a pure tone, but two slightly different pitches rapidly alternating, a lot like those annoying Salvation Army ringers outside every store. The pitches heard on 590 are ever so slightly higher than on 570, so the three stations must not all be on exact .0000 frequencies.

Tuning back across WIBW itself at 2129 UT, I hear them mention that they are amid a ``Red Kettle Campaign``. OMG, here`s what must be happening: WIBW is airing this continuous annoying ringing in the background of its own talkshow modulation, and the pitch is too high to come thru the bandwidth my caradio when tuned to 580. But it`s *not* too high when tuned to an adjacent frequency, i.e. over 5 kHz on the originator, less than 5 kHz beat on the neighbors.

Sure `nuff, when I get home and try it on the portable DX-398 with 1-kHz steps and finer 40-Hz steps in the SSB mode, I can approximately pinpoint the jingly `carriers` around 574 and 586. If WIBW keeps doing this, and we`ve got almost a month until Xmas, others should be able to pick these up at a skywave distance; I get them all by groundwave. But I pity the poor Topekans with wider bandwidth on their cheap AM radios. Extent of hours this may be happening is unknown. But not just during brief commercials for SA. WIBW spurs Sally`s.

{This is rather like KSPI`s spurs from 780 Stillwater OK, on 784 and 776 kHz, which are more audible as beats against the adjacents than when listening to strong KSPI itself. These are only 4 kHz off the fundamental, but relatively weak and more audible against the weak adjacent 770 and 790 signals. They really are spurs and not part of the program modulation, however misguided.} (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) But ringing not heard since from WIBW on very occasional chex including same daypart

** U S A. 660, Tuesday Nov 29 at 1321 UT, ads still mentioning Black Friday as if it`s pending or current, including one for an unpronounceable trading post in Gallup NM, so not only is Tuesday still Friday, but KTNN is pretending night is day and continuing to pump 50 kW nondirexional eastward; tough luck, WFAN (as if anyone in NYC cared at 8:21 am what`s going on in Navajoland). Maybe such casual awareness of time in Anglo terms is a Dineh cultural thing? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. `Tis the season for daytime MW DX with the Sun approaching its low noon nadir. Dec 3 at 1850 UT [18 minutes after local mean noon] on caradio at a quiet hotspot store parking lot in western Enid, I search for skywave signals, making sure I am far enough away from the building and its security(?) MW noise sources:

830, just barely audible, seems to be discussion about football, heard Minnesota mentioned, unseems play-by-play. Bothered by WBAP 820 splatter especially when emitting bits of music. 830 faded down by ID time at TOH, but surely it`s WCCO, a megameter away. (1500 might do better, but OK and TX stations are there.) Trouble is, the WCCO website shows the 12-1 pm Saturday show is Yard & Garden. But when clicking on podcast for that, it`s headed: ``Join us Saturday at 1 for the S & S Tree Specialists Yard and Garden Show``. I couldn`t find anything on the WCCO website about SBG broadcasts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1490, Nov 29 at 1337 UT, program promo on ``1490 AM KQTY``, i.e. Borger TX in the panhandle, briefly atop the graveyard pileup (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. MW TP carrier search Nov 27 around sunrise 1321 UT: At 1324, JBA carriers from NW/SE on 774, 882. I must be very careful, as at 1327 there was a stronger carrier on 693, just the right pitch on my BFO 9-kHz-offset steps, but more NNW/SSE and then tone shifted, so from some local source (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Default MW DX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser, Dec 4-11, 2011

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST: http://www.worldofradio.com/dxldmid.html

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX December 5, UT, only poor signals with no big SRS boost at the moment:

700, Dec 5 at 1319 UT, poor signal with 8-note tune on fiddle repeated over and over almost like an IS; 1320 gobierno federal PSA, 1321 another similar tune. 1325 a few words in unknown language, then repetitive drumming; fading by 1330. Sounds quite rustic, an indigenous station? Most likely XEETCH, La Voz de los Tres Rios, Etchojoa, Sonora, which 2011 IRCA Mexican log says broadcasts in Spanish, Mayo [sic], Yaqui and Garijio. BTW, I previously logged this in late November 2010, but it was erroneously published in Dec 2011 CIDX Messenger as a 2011 log, along with several others.

Another indigenous on 700 is XEXPUJ, X`pujil, Campeche, La Voz de la Sierra Norte [sic], LV del Corazón de la Selva, in Spanish, Mayan and Choi languages --- but it`s a bit late in the day for it, and my log was looping WSW. How in the world do you pronounce X`pujil?

710, Dec 5 at 1320 UT, ad or promotion mentions an auditorio [building, not audience] somewhere, ``B-M Radio``, so XEDP in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua, briefly atop QRM, KGNC? This slogan/corporate name is not found in the 2010 IRCA Log, but here`s a view: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/8957899

730, Dec 5 at 1323 UT, Radio Viva Villa singing ID, i.e. XEHB, San Francisco del Oro, a.k.a. Hidalgo del Parral, Chihua2; as heard better many October mornings. Its very name could be construed as anti-American (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 810, Dec 10 at 0602 UT, barely copiable thru QRM is ID from XERI, ``Tamaulipas, 5000 watts, 25 años al aire``, then playing instrumental NA after local midnight. This is a bit surprising, as this Radio Rey, Reynosa is listed for only 100 watts at night (1000 day), vs the other Tamaulipan, XEFW in Tampico with 1000 night (50000 day). And IRCA Mexican Log 2010 says XERI is stereo too (C-QUAM?). Current Cantú and WRTH 2011 agree on the listed power figures. So is 5000 mere hype, or admission that they are running that much even at night? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1580, Dec 10 at 1344 UT, open carrier from KOKB Blackwell, and also from sister station 1020 KOKP Perry. That might have made way for no-longer mysterious Spanish Saturday mornings from 1580 in Fort Smith, but at 1400 sharp, without ID or sign-on, both of them start modulating with apparently live weekly show (p)reviewing high-school football games. This was not awaiting local sunrise, which is already at 1330 in Dec (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 560, Dec 10 at 0550 UT, tail end of `Jim Bohannon Show` on one of his original stations, KWTO Springfield MO, guest Willie Geist with some funny stuff; when that fades, also audible on 600 WMT Cedar Rapids. Also found still on 690, presumed KGGF Coffeyville KS, but more QRM there. Glad to find Jimbo still on a few audible stations here, since local KGWA 960 dropped him a few years ago. But now it`s easier to hear Jimbo on demand via
    http://www.jimbohannonshow.com/programhighlights
    Go to Dec 09 and the three-hour show autolaunches, minus all the commercials and breaks so it lasts only two hours. Advance player timer to 1:20 for the start of the third hour with Geist:

``If you get up early enough (5:30 am Eastern Time [1030 UT]) and flip on MSNBC, you'll get a look at the news from a kind of skewed perspective on the program `Way Too Early with Willie Geist`. In addition to his own show, Geist also co-hosts MSNBC's early morning chat fest `Morning Joe`, with Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski.

And now, Geist has taken his unusual way of looking at things and written a book about some important events in America - that never actually happened. The book is "American Freak Show: The Completely Fabricated Stories of Our New National Treasures" (published by Hyperion). In it, the real-life characters who now dominate the 24-hour news cycle are cast as stars in completely made-up scenes that are eerily not far from reality.`` Such as Pres. Palin delivering her inaugural address at WWF and refusing to be sworn in by a Washington-insider, C.J. Roberts (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 570, Dec 8 at 1321 UT, something in the null of KLIF is talking about New Mexico: ilovecruces.com for ``everything local`` [I thought, but no such or similar website found], NM lottery, ergo KSNM, which should be on PSRA of 250 watts instead of 155 at nite, not 5000 at day, which it sounded like, all non-direxional. December official sunrise is not until 1400 UT; January, 1415.

This station was originally KGRT, ``K-Great``, until Oct 2, 2000; KGRT now applies to their FM ``104``. KSNM drives away listeners with a brain, since its big talkers are Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs, plus Fox news per http://ksnm570.am even tho it is hardly in Armenia (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1200, Dec 8 at 1342, Spanish way over WOAI, ads mentioning Chicago, Debt-Stoppers at 773- phone number, which is one of Chicago`s overlain area codes. So WRTO, 20 kW day in effect from their latest sunrise 1315 UT in Dec & Jan (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, Dec 8 at 1337 UT, peppy S. Asian songs, hard to null, but finally seems roughly NNE/SSW, fading by 1341. Anyway must be the only ETHnic station listed anywhere on this frequency in NRC AM Log 2011-2012 as I have heard before: ``Hot Pepper 1220``, KZEE Weatherford TX, 1600 watt day power rather than PSRA of 8 watts which would have been in effect until official sunrise of 1330 in Dec and Jan.

Weatherford is west of Fort Worth in Parker County, but you know where the dough is, as KZEE is owned by Tarrant Radio Broadcasting, with main lobe toward Fort Worth; business addresses in Hurst and North Richland Hills on the other side of FW. Thus the Anglo Weatherfordians are deprived of any local AM radio service in order to rimshoot the Asian minority in the big Cowtown.

I was also hearing a weak off-frequency het on 1220, which has been identified by John Wilkins, CO, on 1219.84 as the only other Texan on 1220, KMVL Madisonville, which is on I-45 between Houston and Dallas, close to Rick Perry`s death camp at Huntsville (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1330, Dec 10 at 1344 UT, KNSS Wichita dominant, has C&W music when nulled, fast SAH, but fading by 1346. Most likely KCKM, Monahans TX as previously logged, only format fit in the area (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Dec 8 at 1330, list of lunch menus for today at Eisenhower and other schools, a daily feature on KQNK --- i.e. Norton KS, up near the Nebraska line, which should be on PSRA of 500 watts before day power of 1000 is legal at 1400 UT in Dec and Jan. However, this daytime station has also been reported cheating at night for stupid ballgames, but I usually hear it around sunrise (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific MW carrier search Dec 8 at 1326-1330 UT, on DX-398, 9 kHz steps with off-tuned BFO to recognize correctly-pitched very weak carriers: 612, 702, 774, 882, 1566, 1575. Today`s LSR in Enid is 1330 UT, still latening until 1344 a month from now (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Default MW DX frm Enid OK by Glenn Hauser, Dec 12-17, 2011

** MEXICO. Pre-sunrise MW DX Dec 16:

830, Dec 16 at 1200 UT I look for Mexican national anthems where it`s 5 or 6 am, and find one here, choral version. Hard to null WCCO, however, then 6:01 TC, ID(?) as R. Sótano, Piedras Negras, local news. So is XEIK, Coahuila, IRCA 2010-listed as La Norteñita, 5 kW day and maybe as much at night, roughly collinear with Minneapolis.

940, Dec 16 at 1204, Mexican NA in a version I have not heard before, YL very nice alto voice, but faded before any ID heard. Need to pursue this one further.

980, Dec 16 at 1206, choral NA looping WSW, sign-on by YL mentions Cananea, Sonora, then OM continues with ``radio pública``, addresses, Instituto Mexicano de la Radio, then to live announcer with 5+ am timecheck, temperature as -7, which is not that unusual along the northern frontier in winter. Is XEFQ, La Voz de la Ciudad del Cobre, 1/0.5 kW, heard before (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 890, Dec 14 at 1331 UT, just before LSR, in null of KTLR OKC, promo for employment@kggn.com in Kansas City, other ads; seems religious. NRC AM Log 2011-2012 shows KGGN as a 960-watt direxional daytimer, COL Gladstone MO, ``Great Gospel Radio``. FCC pattern plot shows two-tower broad cardioid peaking 250 degrees with null toward WLS, no protexion for OKC. Seems vaguely familiar: yes, I did log it 12.6 months ago as in DXLD 10-48 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1300, Dec 16 at 1211 UT, `Gospel Hour` from ``Shreveport`s premier station`` , i.e. KSYB. Found website http://www.amistadradiogroup.com/ with audio greeting pronouncing Amistad with short A`s as if it were an English word: ``The Gospel Power House --- The Station God Listens To!!!`` Tnx for the promotion. 5000 watts day, 30 watts night, and it`s definitely still night. NRC AM Log 2011-2012 does not show a PSRA, but there is one of 500 watts, which is more like it after 6 am local, per:
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...letter_id=5041

** U S A. 1460, Dec 16 at 1213 UT, S Asian songs, segués including one at 1222, no announcements. Hard to get a fix, seems sort of E-W, but the only ETHnic format in NRC AM Log anywhere around here is KBRZ, Houston TX, and their ``International Language Radio`` schedule fits:
    http://www.kbrzradio.com/5.html
    with `Sangeet Radio` M-F 6 am to midnight, more variety on weekends (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP carrier search Dec 14 at 1335-1339 UT circa local sunrise. Extremely weak JBA ones detected on: 774, 792, 828, 882, 1008, 1422, 1494, 1566 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Atlantic carrier search on 10-kHz-step caradio UT Dec 16 around 0235 found hets on: 530, 670, 690, 890, 910. The last two look TA for sure, 891 likely Algeria and 909 most likely BBC Radio 5 Live totalling 401 kW, altho I couldn`t tell which side of the NAm frequencies. 531 probably Algeria too unless LYQ is back on 529, but I doubt it. 671 of course Cuba. The 690 het was less than 1 kHz, so some off-frequency American station; ideas? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

MWDX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser, Dec 18-26, 2011

** CANADA. 990, Dec 25 at 0630, CBW Winnipeg is playing Satchmo`s Santa Claus song, quite a contrast to 1000 KTOK OKC with Handel`s Messiah. CBW is our only regularly listenable Canadian here, often dominant from before sunset to after sunrise, but the channel is hardly `clear` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 1610, Dec 22 at 0050 UT on the caradio I am surprised to hear something in Spanish here vs the IBOC noise from KATZ-1600. Unfortunately, I am in no position to DF it. Woman speaking, seems to be giving local addresses, thought I heard Monterrey mentioned, then a few seconds of ``Jingle Bells Rock``, mentions 8 de la noche. I was hoping for XEUACH, R. Chapingo, but it`s not yet 7 pm there and here, if that was a partial before-the-hour timecheck. So was it from EST zone? That would be CHHA Toronto, Radio Voces Latinas, which is listed as Spanish + ethnic format. It`s more likely to be heard anyway, about same distance but much greater power, altho also a rarity here. Then it lost out to the IBOC.

Program grid at
    http://www.sanlorenzo.ca/espanol/Program_Schedule.html
    shows the weekday 7-8 pm program is `Panorama` which could be in any tongue! The have quite a lineup of languages, UT: 0100 English, 0200 Portuguese, 0300 Tagalog, 0400 Italian, 0500+ Spanish. Also in the afternoons at 19-21 UT M-F there are 20 half-hour shows each named for a different Ibero-American country, and they do webcast via http://www.voceslatinas.ca (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 1610, Dec 25 at 0615 jingle and ID in English ``You`re listening to 1610 AM --- Radio Voces Latinas``, onward with music in Spanish, i.e. CHHA Toronto. Was KATZ 1600 IBOC noise off? Probably just in a lucky fade, as IBOC peaking 1613 was certainly bothering CHHA at 0640 recheck (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Since I am awake before 0700 Dec 23, I look for Mexican national anthems on MW probably from the UT-7 zone:

710, Dec 23 at 0655 UT, choral anthem is underway; 0657 fanfare and then super-patriotic speech about the flag, but fading by 0700. It had been well audible in null of Cuba, probably from SW/WSW direxion, likely XEDP in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua, a regular around sunrise too, but there are two other MST stations in Sinaloa and Sonora, per new IRCA Mexican Log.

850, Dec 23 at 0656 UT, multiverse choral NA past 0658, 0701 finally ID as 5 kW from Chihuahua, i.e. XEM. Was easy to null attenuated KOA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Pre-sunrise logs Dec 25, UT:

710, Dec 25 at 1320 UT, PSA calling for denouncing delinquency to the (federal) army with phone numbers, complicated e-mail address, also mentions Chihuahua and Cuauhtémoc, so one more time for XEDP.

760, Dec 25 at 1325 promos for station website, 1326 ID in passing as R. Geny, live timecheck for 6:22: not exactly. Is XENY in Nogales, Sonora, not likely on nite power of 100 watts vs day power 5000.

850, Dec 25 at 1311 UT, NA is playing at odd time, 1312 sign-on for XHHM on FM and XEM 850 Chihuahua, right into ``Put Your Head On My Shoulder`` song in English. This is R. Renacimiento per Cantú but did not hear that name, and confirms their FM is XHHM on 103.7. KOA easily nulled again from roughly 90 degrees away.

1040, Dec 25 at 1330 UT, PSAs for IFE, 1332 singing ID for 104.1 Radio Fiesta(?). Nulling what there is of WHO, I expected the usual Guaymas or Chihuahua, but the 104.1 match fits for XEGR in Jalapa, Veracruz, listed as OK Radio by IRCA, WRTH and Cantú. I still suspect it was not XEGR (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Xmas causes lots of anomalous programming, even news/talk format stations going musical, such as 1000 KTOK OKC, Dec 25 at 0627 playing Handel`s Messiah – the whole thing? Replacing `Coast to Coast`. Contrast with CBW on 990, see CANADA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, my local KGWA Enid, Sunday Dec 25 at 1306 UT in `Cowboy Corner` with Red Steagall, nationally syndicated show I have run across on various stations, but not KGWA. His affiliate list http://www.cowboycorner.com/stations.html shows instead KGWA`s FM side, KOFM 103.1, Sundays at 7 am. Maybe they were unusually simulcasting for the holiday (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENIG DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, Dec 25 at 1317 UT, Spanish is way over WGN, but it`s not XE. SHVA [super-hype voice actor] exclaims ``104.1 FM y 720 AM, Norteña, La Raza`` which chex as KSAH San Antonio (COL Universal City).

770, Dec 25 at 1327, ABC report about the Arab Spring, likely yearender on `Perspective` as long scheduled on KKOB Albuquerque for 6-7 am Sundays, but far before sunrise during null toward NYC and me, may well be the co-channel non-direxional 230-watt relay in Santa Fe which is on the air only at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific MW carrier search Dec 23 around 1348 UT local sunrise here: very weak ones detectable on 972, 792, 774, 747 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, Dec 23 as early as 2108 UT, something skywave besides KOKC is audible by deeply nulling its 50 kW groundwave. Sounds like country music, or maybe Xmas music, which could be anything breaking nominal format (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

MWDX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser, Dec 18-26, 2011

** CANADA. 990, Dec 25 at 0630, CBW Winnipeg is playing Satchmo`s Santa Claus song, quite a contrast to 1000 KTOK OKC with Handel`s Messiah. CBW is our only regularly listenable Canadian here, often dominant from before sunset to after sunrise, but the channel is hardly `clear` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 1610, Dec 22 at 0050 UT on the caradio I am surprised to hear something in Spanish here vs the IBOC noise from KATZ-1600. Unfortunately, I am in no position to DF it. Woman speaking, seems to be giving local addresses, thought I heard Monterrey mentioned, then a few seconds of ``Jingle Bells Rock``, mentions 8 de la noche. I was hoping for XEUACH, R. Chapingo, but it`s not yet 7 pm there and here, if that was a partial before-the-hour timecheck. So was it from EST zone? That would be CHHA Toronto, Radio Voces Latinas, which is listed as Spanish + ethnic format. It`s more likely to be heard anyway, about same distance but much greater power, altho also a rarity here. Then it lost out to the IBOC.

Program grid at
    http://www.sanlorenzo.ca/espanol/Program_Schedule.html
    shows the weekday 7-8 pm program is `Panorama` which could be in any tongue! The have quite a lineup of languages, UT: 0100 English, 0200 Portuguese, 0300 Tagalog, 0400 Italian, 0500+ Spanish. Also in the afternoons at 19-21 UT M-F there are 20 half-hour shows each named for a different Ibero-American country, and they do webcast via http://www.voceslatinas.ca (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 1610, Dec 25 at 0615 jingle and ID in English ``You`re listening to 1610 AM --- Radio Voces Latinas``, onward with music in Spanish, i.e. CHHA Toronto. Was KATZ 1600 IBOC noise off? Probably just in a lucky fade, as IBOC peaking 1613 was certainly bothering CHHA at 0640 recheck (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Since I am awake before 0700 Dec 23, I look for Mexican national anthems on MW probably from the UT-7 zone:

710, Dec 23 at 0655 UT, choral anthem is underway; 0657 fanfare and then super-patriotic speech about the flag, but fading by 0700. It had been well audible in null of Cuba, probably from SW/WSW direxion, likely XEDP in Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua, a regular around sunrise too, but there are two other MST stations in Sinaloa and Sonora, per new IRCA Mexican Log.

850, Dec 23 at 0656 UT, multiverse choral NA past 0658, 0701 finally ID as 5 kW from Chihuahua, i.e. XEM. Was easy to null attenuated KOA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Pre-sunrise logs Dec 25, UT:

710, Dec 25 at 1320 UT, PSA calling for denouncing delinquency to the (federal) army with phone numbers, complicated e-mail address, also mentions Chihuahua and Cuauhtémoc, so one more time for XEDP.

760, Dec 25 at 1325 promos for station website, 1326 ID in passing as R. Geny, live timecheck for 6:22: not exactly. Is XENY in Nogales, Sonora, not likely on nite power of 100 watts vs day power 5000.

850, Dec 25 at 1311 UT, NA is playing at odd time, 1312 sign-on for XHHM on FM and XEM 850 Chihuahua, right into ``Put Your Head On My Shoulder`` song in English. This is R. Renacimiento per Cantú but did not hear that name, and confirms their FM is XHHM on 103.7. KOA easily nulled again from roughly 90 degrees away.

1040, Dec 25 at 1330 UT, PSAs for IFE, 1332 singing ID for 104.1 Radio Fiesta(?). Nulling what there is of WHO, I expected the usual Guaymas or Chihuahua, but the 104.1 match fits for XEGR in Jalapa, Veracruz, listed as OK Radio by IRCA, WRTH and Cantú. I still suspect it was not XEGR (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Xmas causes lots of anomalous programming, even news/talk format stations going musical, such as 1000 KTOK OKC, Dec 25 at 0627 playing Handel`s Messiah – the whole thing? Replacing `Coast to Coast`. Contrast with CBW on 990, see CANADA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, my local KGWA Enid, Sunday Dec 25 at 1306 UT in `Cowboy Corner` with Red Steagall, nationally syndicated show I have run across on various stations, but not KGWA. His affiliate list http://www.cowboycorner.com/stations.html shows instead KGWA`s FM side, KOFM 103.1, Sundays at 7 am. Maybe they were unusually simulcasting for the holiday (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENIG DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, Dec 25 at 1317 UT, Spanish is way over WGN, but it`s not XE. SHVA [super-hype voice actor] exclaims ``104.1 FM y 720 AM, Norteña, La Raza`` which chex as KSAH San Antonio (COL Universal City).

770, Dec 25 at 1327, ABC report about the Arab Spring, likely yearender on `Perspective` as long scheduled on KKOB Albuquerque for 6-7 am Sundays, but far before sunrise during null toward NYC and me, may well be the co-channel non-direxional 230-watt relay in Santa Fe which is on the air only at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Trans-Pacific MW carrier search Dec 23 around 1348 UT local sunrise here: very weak ones detectable on 972, 792, 774, 747 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, Dec 23 as early as 2108 UT, something skywave besides KOKC is audible by deeply nulling its 50 kW groundwave. Sounds like country music, or maybe Xmas music, which could be anything breaking nominal format (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

MWDX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser, Dec 27, 2011-Jan 3, 2012

** MEXICO. 710, Jan 3 at 1346 UT, gobierno federal PSA with whistling, but didn`t catch from which department; `Noticiero 7-10`, timecheck before 7 am local = MST, negative-C temp, mentioning several Chihuahua cities, so it`s the usual dominator XEDP in Cuauhtémoc, supposedly 7 kW, and occupying the frequency instead of much closer 10 kW KGNC Amarillo, which makes it here on daytime groundwave some 400 km away. A bandscan found little else from Mexico at this hour except XEG-1050 and XERF-1570 --- not even XETNT-650, still occupied by WSM. Today`s Enid LSR is 1343 UT, almost to our yearly latest of 1344 in a few days, when the Sun is closest (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1050, Dec 28 at 1401 UT, choral NA is in progress, but of course it fades out before ID/sign-on. Loops E/W, and surely from the PST zone where it is 6 am, i.e. XED in Mexicali BCN a kilomile away (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, Dec 31 from 0657 to 0715 UT, tried to hear the WKVQ Eatonton GA DX test, which was scheduled with only two days notice, but never heard any Xmas music, CW IDs or sweep tones, just this:

1540, Dec 31 at 0702 UT, after Mexican music, ID in English ``This is KEDA, San Antonio, Texas, your Jalapeño radio station``. It was dominant even on my E-W longwire also suitable for the high end of MW on the FRG-7; also tried to null it on the DX-398 but not much success, only bringing up some weaker talk station, presumably KXEL. 0710 another ID for `Jalapeño Radio` mixing Spanish and English. No sign of the other Texans, closer KZMP, or KGBC with CRI, which must have lesser signals at night than KEDA`s 1 kW. BTW, those calls mean in Spanish ``stay`` as in ``with us`` = queda. I guess they don`t consider `Jalapeño Radio` to be an politically incorrect stereotype.

As for the WKVQ test, no power was stated in the publicity but they have a 10 kW non-direxional daytime authorization, which should have been employed for this post-midnite test. Yet initial reports I have seen indicate spotty reception even in the East with several 50 kW stations to contend with, but did make it as far as Manassas, Kansas City and Omaha (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) + Sweden, Albany itself

** U S A. 1550, Jan 3 at 1324 UT as I tune in, a dominant signal as ``News New Mexico on KIVA AM 1550``; trouble is, there wasn`t any news during the following dekaminute as the signal faded in and out vs multiple SAHs from countless QRMers. 1330 promo for Dennis Miller at 1-4 pm on ``KIVA 1550, The Truth``; various ads; 1334 promo for Dr Joy Browne; finally back to a live show at 1335, two guys with local talk, still not news; 1337 lamenting long construxion period disrupting traffic on the main drag in Santa Fe, Cerillos Road.

KIVA is a 10 kW non-direxional daytimer (plus 27 watts at nite), address at 1213 San Pedro NE in Albuquerque. `News New Mexico` is their weekday 6-9 am show ``Hosted by Jim Spence and Michael Swickard`` per their blog, http://1550kiva.blogspot.com/ which is titled The ``Truth``, the quotation marx tacitly admitting that their truth = far-right wingnut opinion, not only Dennis Miller but Michael Savage, Alex Jones.

FCC info at
    http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=4705
    shows January sunrise in ABQ is not until 1415 UT, so is this 27 watts? Hardly! However, per
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...letter_id=3811
    KIVA does have a PSRA starting at 13 UT of: 89 watts! Is this 89 watts? Hardly!

When 1550 was starting up with Program Test Authority, FCC also sent them a letter dated June 25, 2009
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...etter_id=12836
    warning KIVA of intermodulation products on 450, 550, 2100, 2150, 2550, 4100 kHz which had not been demonstrated to be suppressed by at least 80 dB.

Call sign history
    http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....&Callsign=KIVA
    shows KIVA since 5/18/09, and this facility had *eight* previous calls dating back past 1994y --- but most of them were not on 1550, I know, since this frequency appeared only a few years ago when the ABQ MW band was reconfigured.

I also know that the calls KIVA have applied to numerous other stations over the years mostly in New Mexico, but also in Yuma AZ. For the uninitiated, they`re desirable because of a SW reference to kivas, the circular religious ceremony pits of the Pueblo Indians and Hopi, which have long since been adopted by the Anglos. For instance, there is a general-purpose sunken class/meeting building at UNM called The Kiva.

NRC AM Log 2011-2012 says KIVA programming is also on KQNM 1100, which is a 250/20 watt station in Milan NM (near Grants, W of ABQ), but I don`t see anything about that on the KIVA blog (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

MW DX from Enid OK by Glenn Hauser, Jan 4-10, 2012

** OKLAHOMA. It seems the two sports stations in Tulsa are getting mixed up: 1300 KAKC and 1430 KTBZ are jointly owned, affiliated with ESPN and FSN respectively:

1300, Jan 9 at 1347 UT, ``ESPN 1300, The Buzz``, signal peaking around sunrise with heavy IBOC noise on each side. I thought 1430 was ``The Buzz`` as implied by its calls. XEP takes turns dominating 1300. But on 1430 at 1350, ID as ``KTBZ 1430 AM``. At 1358, 1300 IDs again as ``ESPN 1300 The Buzz``, but then the 1300 station runs promo for ``Sports Radio 14-30 The Buzz``. So both of them must be ``The Buzz``; and BTW, no sign of IBOC on the sides of 1430, tho both are listed with it (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1190, Jan 7 at 2137 UT on the caradio with nondirexional vertical antenna, skywave is in with muddle of stations, but generally atop is ``all-new country 11-90, K#QZ``, which NRC AM Log shows as KQQZ ``Killer Country`` in Desoto MO (COL Fairview Heights IL, address in Belleville, i.e. near St Louis), 10 kW U4 with application for 25. I was looking for the new 25 kW station in White Hall AR, KJJI which may not be on the air yet (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, Jan 9 at 1340 UT, `AM 1220, KONZ(?)``, weather. Only likely match phonetically is KOMC, Branson MO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1600, Jan 5 at 1817 UT, only a quarter-hour before local mean noon, Vietnamese which must be from KRVA in The Metroplex TX, is overriding English groundwave from KUSH Cushing OK, and making a SAH of about 7 Hz. So here`s high-band skywave at midday, altho only 400 km away, and as we head from solstice to equinox, less and less likely, but should hold up a few more weeks from even greater distances if sought (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Thread Information