Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your DX Equipment Photos

Dave N.
    I see, in your photos, that you have a channel Master 5094A scanner antenna. My questions: Do you have another one, and is it for sale ? Youe ?? scanner ant. is an Antennacraft.

Gary Hickerson
    Okla.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hickerson View Post
    Dave N.
    I see, in your photos, that you have a channel Master 5094A scanner antenna. My questions: Do you have another one, and is it for sale ? Youe ?? scanner ant. is an Antennacraft.

Gary Hickerson
    Okla.
    Hi Gary….if I had another CM-5094A I would gladly sell it. The Antennacraft works so much better in my opinion. The reason they’re both up there is; I have it why not use it. I have and old CM 7 ft dish in the garage. It’s all there but needs some work, I’d let go for pickup only.

Dave N.
    Bradford, PA

Dave,
    Thanks for your reply. Funny, my experience with both, is just the opposite. I CANNOT get the Antennacraft to work as good as the 18" whip that came with the scanner! Even Bob Grove was at a loss as to why. The 5094A was THE BEST scanner antenna, I've ever used ( Butternut, Ant. Spec, etc.).
    Well I thought I would try. Thanks.

Gary H.

Well I started seriously DXing In August so I don't have much but it's enough.

I got my home made fm folded dipole from 300ohm speaker wire taped to a broom stick that's zip tied to a 17ft pole that was used for a pool Attachment 16508

I have a KA1103 I got in August that works VERY well for fm and am and is my my best radio I have for raw sensitivity but the telescopic won't stay up so I gotta hold it and it's a bit wobbly so I don't use it too much. It has narrow/wide BW selection, you can turn stereo off, and it has a line out to record DX.

I got a iPod nano that has RDS but even a bit of static and it goes away but It can help but I've now got a insignia portable HD radio, it has RDS that's really sensitive and just some headphones work well and I've had it since Sunday and I've gotten WRIT, WMYX, WHQG and, WKKV all Milwaukee stations in hd for at least a few seconds, I also got WBMI and WHHI in HD. It's really good and can be convenient in certain situations.
    I also got a tabletop insignia hd radio on Sunday and it doesn't have RDS expect for when it gets hd lock and it's not as sensitive as the portable but can have an external antenna and play through speakers as the portable uses headphones as antenna. (would that make the SWR super high?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	16509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	671.3 KB 
ID:	16510

Ironic that the RDS says "Dense Fog Developing in South Central Wisconsin (Janesville)" and that's causing the tropo (if that's what it is) tonight
    Janesville,WI - Sony XDR-S10HDiP & Kaito KA1103 & Insignia ND-HD01A portable 😜📻🔎📶

FM Log - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    FM Log Map - https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/84a...2f2e84bcf806f0

Quote Originally Posted by JVL DXer View Post
    Ironic that the RDS says "Dense Fog Developing in South Central Wisconsin (Janesville)" and that's causing the tropo (if that's what it is) tonight
    That reminds me of the times when I would receive KOCO-TV, channel 5, Oklahoma City, OK.
    First, in analog, over semi-local KFSM-TV, channel 5, Fort Smith, AR, in 2008 and 2009, and after June 12, 2009, in digital only. Sometimes when I received KOCO, they were showing indications of hot weather on their radar map.

Kegan

That's cool, I know I heard somewhere that during e skip a tv station was running a crawl saying something about it. What do you use to dtv DX, I would but it's impossible to with what I have, a VHF UHF bunny ears with a loop and my homemade fm antenna but when I tried I could only get my locals.
    Janesville,WI - Sony XDR-S10HDiP & Kaito KA1103 & Insignia ND-HD01A portable 😜📻🔎📶

FM Log - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    FM Log Map - https://www.easymapmaker.com/map/84a...2f2e84bcf806f0

I use an antenna on my dad's 50-foot tower to receive TV and FM stations from the Tulsa, Oklahoma area in Northwest Arkansas. I use the same antenna most of the time to receive TV DX from areas like Oklahoma City (where I receive the most DX). I've also received stations from Las Vegas, Nevada, Joplin, Missouri, Wichita, Kansas, areas of Canada, and Mexico so far. On a local reception antenna, I received DX of two Shreveport, Louisiana stations.

The tower is also used for Ham Radio antenna wires.

Kegan
    Last edited by XNA DXer; 12-18-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Kegan,
    You say, you live in NW Ark. ? Fayetteville, maybe? I live in Arkoma, OK. (on westside of Ft. Smith, 70 mi. south of you). What kind of antenna, is on the 50' tower? With a good Channel Master, we get Tulsa, very good, here.

Gary H.

Yes, I live in NW Arkansas -- halfway between Siloam Springs, Arkansas, and Springdale, Arkansas.
    I have XNA DXer as my screen name, since my home is a few miles (7 miles "as the crow flies") from the XNA Airport,
    which is in Highfill, AR.

The antenna on the 50-foot tower is a Channel Master (log periodic); Low band and High Band VHF and UHF.

Kegan

Kegan,

Your antenna, sounds like a CM V/U 3600 series. Maybe a #3672 or #3671. Good antenna or they "were". No longer made !

Gary H.

Thread Information