Thread: Double Hop ch2 E skip June 12, CT->Nicaragua

Default Double Hop ch2 E skip June 12, CT->Nicaragua

Recorded at 4pm.
    The interviewer's mic has the ch2 Managua logo on it, which was replaced by a man behind a desk with the large letters TVN behind him.
    All of this was replaced minutes later by color bars from Havana.
    None of this was noted on DX Sherlock.

Equipment: VHF antenna fed into a D100 tuner, which was fed into my TV Card with dScaler used to view and record the DX.

All the good stuff is in the first 60 seconds. You can quit watching after the minute mark. I tried to edit down the clip with Windows Movie Maker but when I resaved it, the quality was so bad that I just loaded the longer .wmv file instead.

This is what I spend all year waiting for.
    Last edited by Mike-CT; 06-13-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Awesome video Mike, congrats! One of the perks of having the domestic analogs gone I guess.
    Michael T-S
    Central New Jersey
    Sony XDR-S3HD
    Yamaha T-80 w/ Conrad RDS manager
    Boston Acoustics Recepter HD
    APS-13 @ ~35' / Comet CX333 (Offline)
    APS-9B indoors/mobile
    RS 6 Element indoors/mobile
    40 N
    FN20

Oh boy, Mike, congrats on Nicaragua! That's certainly 2-hop. But I got bad news for you.

There is, of course, a TVN in Panama, but their logo is in all lower case--- see www.tvn-2.com . The "TVN" you saw was the logo for TVNoticias, Canal 2 Nicaragua's news program. In fact, when your video was over, there was a glimpse of it amongst the 12 others that show. Here is the YouTube link to the one I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=JGvw-M3miCk#!

This is the 2nd time in 2 days that I had to break some bad news to a DXer. (I did so on another board late tonight.)

But rest assured, that was Nicaragua you saw!

cd

Thanks for the correction, Chris. I'll leave Panama for the next opening. :-)
    I made the changes to the first post.
    Mike B.
    Enfield, CT
    -72 30' W/41 59' N
    FN31RX

Online since 1999 and still going at
    mikesdx.com

Archives: The Original Mike's TV/FM Page with Tuner Mods and Lots of Old Stuff

Timothy Guest

That's awesome....I've never had any TV or FM stations from Central America before. Ever since the US went digital I have really slacked on monitoring TV for Es. Now I wish I'd paid more attention these last 2 or 3 years. - Tim EM86

voltadx Guest

Since many ATOs, VHF-I seems to be much more intresting because the free channels provide much more chances for double hop even with simple equipment. A friend in SW-Germany logged IRIB-2 Iran even on a quite simple handeld Casio EV-510 connected with dipole-antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by voltadx View Post
    Since many ATOs, VHF-I seems to be much more intresting because the free channels provide much more chances for double hop even with simple equipment
    Yes,for me it'much more interesting,with the single hop "local" DX channels gone it's much easier to get the double hoppers...It used to be very frustrating when something weak was around on say channel E3 from the Middle East around 4,000 KM away and suddenly Belgium would appear from 1600 KM and totally wipe the weak double hop signals out.

Mike B has a new section on his website about double hop DXing.
    http://fmdx.usclargo.com/analog.html

Hugh

Thread Information